Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,580,278 times

Advertisements

So luck had nothing to do with it eh?

Some groups at Boeing are left alone and others are replaced by "farmout" groups or companies. In my case, of the 21 of us in 767 Tubing Illustration, the 2 leads made it through and the other 19 of us were laid off and replaced by a group that was managed by a former Boeing manager. They were paid roughly half of what we were paid. That's Boeing for you. Those kind of changes always cause stress for those engineers and tech's left behind to process the work. Because the group taking over has only the experience of the former Boeing manager. Notice the lack of a capital letter for the 'm' in manager. That was on purpose. It's garbage like this that really removes a lot of the "greatness" that people attribute to Boeing. Their management causes a whole lotta grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 AM

5,035 posts, read 2,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S View Post
Everyone thinks Seattle is so great but having grown up there I think it really has changed for the worse since the 1960's and 1970's. Now it is expensive, congested, has horrible traffic and the job market really sucks for 95% of the people who are not working at Microsoft, Boeing, or other solid jobs. People go to Seattle in August and think it's a great place not realizing that it's going to start raining in November and continue almost non stop until March. Plus when it is nice weather every trailhead within 100 miles of Seattle is jam packed with people and cars. Don't even get me started on their stupid mayor and his ultra-liberal politics and mega-projects. Driving the city into serious financial problems but hey they can just start a city income tax and start taxing bicycles as well.
You are 100% correct!!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:44 AM

615 posts, read 1,380,609 times
Default Underemployed in the Seattle area

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seattle's job market is massively overrated, a lot of these nonsensical "best economy for..." things look at unemployment rates (irrelevant for the most part) and a few other feel good stats. Of course the Seattle defenders will be up in arms about that, and think just because housing is expensive (for now) the economy is "booming," but there's a massive affordability problem and underemployment issue in Seattle.
I am noting the massive unemployment issue in my own life in the greater Seattle area. To where in the world should I go in order to pursue a job where I can reach my full potential, earn a high salary, and improve my happiness?

Old 08-07-2017, 06:03 AM

25,022 posts, read 11,449,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
My husband was laid off here for the 5th or 6th time in 8 years Dec 5,2016 . 30 year long A&P mech - EEu and US, military and commercial , fixed and rotary wing - the works . This time for about 6 months . If he and I didn't catch ride show horses on the side we would have had nothing . He applied for every job humanly possible as the job he was laid off from is 66 miles away ( we were priced out this far ) . He is 53, has a sec clearance and couldn't get a job cleaning the bathrooms at Mc Donalds - over qualified on everything . He tried everywhere. He finally went to school locally to get his CNA on the road to RN. We got down so low though that when the recruiters started calling again he went back . Alot of places now like Sea - Tac , JBLM and Boeing will not hire him even w/sec clearance due to his being a dutch national . Not a natural born citizen - so you have a leg up there and a bigger budget too but yes Boeing lays off at the drop of a hat. He has worked for them in Europe . Just be careful and check everything out . Yeah it's pretty here but not when you are wondering how your going to make it through the next day and don't have the money to stay or to leave !
FAA is hiring maintenance inspectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area