Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 28,389 times

Advertisements

I would be keen to hear from recruiters on this topic.

I am keen to find out how recruitment agencies function on a day to day basis as it seems to be a mystery to me and many others.

I think things have changed dramatically in the job hunting realm over the past 15 years and gone are the days, it seems, when you could walk in to any recruitment agency, hand them your resume and get them to speak to you about finding work, etc.

The multi-level and soul destroying quagmire that is today's work finding nightmare doesn't care about those it leaves behind, even if those people were superbly qualified for a particular job.

Despite over 400 job applications over the past 10 months, I have received only 2 replies from recruiters, both by email to give me the ubiquitous PC blurb of "were not persuing your application further" and then they insult you to say that they were impressed with your qualifications and experience and that they are sure that you will find a great opporutunity soon (but not good enough for them).

Rant over.

What I am keen to find out, so that my efforts and that of others doesn't seem like they are going down a bottomless well, is how do recruiters handle applications/resumes for any one vacancy.
I am sure that recruiters are inundated for each position as well as receiving tons of unsolicited emails and I sympathise with their undoubted temptation sometimes to just press the "select all" button and then the "delete" button.
But since this isn't happening much (otherwise agencies couldn't stay in business, although I am aware of fake job ads for jobs already destined for a particular person), I'd like to know what their day to day handling of a vacancy is like and, importantly, what can applicants do, and do right, to ensure they get a shot at being considered.

Rarely do applicants get to speak to anyone about an opportunity in this disconnected, distant and highly impersonal experience, (which is about people at the end of the day), and which only adds to the isolation and detachment of those seeking work, from contributing society.

Finally, I am also quite angry that many employers and recruitment agencies demand very high levels of personal and security data provision and various other compliance factors before an applicant can being considered for the job (not to mention the collosally annoying websites that hang just before you finish a 1 hour application and attachment), but then the agency or employer disrespects applicants by not giving them the same high standard of care, response or feedback, nor do they (mostly) even inform the applicant what will happen to all the data that the applicants have provided if they are not shortlisted and which remains at risk of identity theft.

Last edited by Scrungy; 09-23-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 PM

600 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Sounds right, sadly.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I find people jobs on the side... I throw out 100 resumes for every 1 that I try to place. I work for the applicant, not the employer. This is different than how the recruiters you're talking about work.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I find people jobs on the side... I throw out 100 resumes for every 1 that I try to place.
Ok so I have to send out many more resumes

Old 10-17-2011, 11:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
Ok so I have to send out many more resumes
I updated my post with a little more detail.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I updated my post with a little more detail.
I saw that and sounds good.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times
First of all, take my damn resume. I went to the recruiters yesterday and they turned me down. Because I wasn't going for the right type of job they look for. At first they said they only take resumes for light industrial and hospitality jobs. OK, so one of my resumes would have worked, or unless restaurant work isn't considered hospitality.

I can understand when a job becomes available, who would be the best applicant out of say 200? I think this is one issue they need to look at.

I don't know, it's tough for me to really give anything good to any recruiter. I have worked as a CAD designer for years and each recruiter stated, "Not many jobs are going to like having someone over qualified", or I also worked at restaurants for years and they give me the same feedback.

So, unless I go for a huge career change, or step down to getting lower pay at another restaurant, a recruiter will not help what so ever.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 AM

197 posts, read 449,779 times
Okay the way I see it is that, in the labor market, as well as in any market, there are buyers, sellers, and third parties. Buyers are the firms, as they wish to buy your labor. Sellers would be... you and me, the one's willing to offer our labor in exchange for salary/benefits/so on. The recruiters would be seen as a third party in the sense that they bring the buyers and sellers together in the labor market.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:56 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Recruiters fill many if not most professional positions -- something like 90% in NYC or Boston for example so they are a necessary evil..

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM

197 posts, read 449,779 times
Must make a fix to what I said above... recruiters would NOT be a third party, as they represent the company, who is, in this case, the buyer. Ugh, big mistake... it was early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search