Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,207 times

Advertisements

The question is rhetorical. But, I feel bad for my friend who was told by her recruiter that she would be working an additional month on her temp job only to find out today that her last day will be next week. What a fricking punch in the gut. She doesn't have anything lined up.

Who would have a thought a recruiter would lie about something like that? Just when I think I've heard it all something else comes up.

Please pray for her. She will have no income after next week. She has been sending out resumes so, hopefully, something will turn up for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Why assume they lied?

Maybe something happened at the company the recruiter could not control.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Never trust temp places when depending on stable work.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Never trust temp places when depending on stable work.
This. Temp places specialize in readily replaceable labor.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
The recruiter was not necessarily lying when you work for an agency you can get let go at anytime for the most part. That's why companies use them because sometimes they aren't sure how long they need someone. The agency has to kiss the companies butt not vice versa. The company is the customer in this situation. There are a lot of reasons a company would do this they possibly might have someone coming in that has skills more in line with what they want. Also a company has to pay a fee to the agency so sometimes they just decide to hire someone on their own and not even use the agency anymore. You have to look at it as an opportunity that was given. If the agency didn't get her the job to the begin with who knows how much longer she would have been sitting around looking for work.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,207 times
You all make good points. However, it's nothing that she and I don't already know. She used a temp agency so she could have an income. It was better than having no income. The recruiter told her that the job would last one more month. Now, it has turned out that it won't last that long at all. She is sick over this and who wouldn't be.

Please pray for her. This is a dire situation.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
You all make good points. However, it's nothing that she and I don't already know. She used a temp agency so she could have an income. It was better than having no income. The recruiter told her that the job would last one more month. Now, it has turned out that it won't last that long at all. She is sick over this and who wouldn't be.

Please pray for her. This is a dire situation.
She should have been looking while temping. You never stop looking for work while temping.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
She must be new to temping and working in general. It's pretty common knowledge that temps are the first to go in a layoff and they can be let go at any time.

When I was temping, one agency said they had no problem if I was already working for another temp agency or two. The very nature of temp assignments means the job could end tomorrow. When it does end, you notify all the agencies of your availability.

I had 4 different assignments in one 6-month period. If you do a great job for the client, the temp agency will often have new assignments available for the good performers. I was unemployed for only a day between assignments at the most.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I had 4 different assignments in one 6-month period. If you do a great job for the client, the temp agency will often have new assignments available for the good performers. I was unemployed for only a day between assignments at the most.
I'm not sure if that's the exception or the norm but it certainly wasn't my experience and it cannot be for everyone because not everyone can be chosen... it kind of gives false hope to new temps;

Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 PM

48 posts, read 67,255 times
Recruiters & temp agencies often do not know all the details, but most are so poorly organized (and qualified) they forget a person they talked with just a few days ago. For the most part, between them and an employer using "temp" labor; you are doomed from the start because neither one has anyone's interest at heart but their own. Each day a temp goes home thinking they have a job tomorrow is a day they should consider themselves as having "beat the odds". Temp employers and agencies alike, each consider themselves "removed" for the worker. It make it easier for them to lie, mirepresent or just play dumb. It makes it easier to use people. I feel for your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search