Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

Hi navywife, Does your husband know Captain Patrick Kelly? Great guy, I helped he and his family a few years ago, here is his bio: CAPT Patrick Kelly

Your husband sounds highly qualified, I think you need a new headhunter. Many of us love it out here and wouldn't live anywhere else. Sounds like you are excited to come back. Good luck in the search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM

235 posts, read 269,774 times
Has he looked at T-Mobile? They've made a pledge to hire veterans (although not necessarily at the executive mgmt level) and the CMO is a West Point grad.

Making a jump to executive management straight from a non-business background may be asking a bit much.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:00 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
navywife, Boeing indeed does have a long history of hiring people with military backgrounds. On the real estate front, don't be dismayed, people in your price range are successful every day. You just need to understand the way things work and have a good strategy.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 07-28-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 01:16 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Boeing might be a great fit, just be warned they are notorious for massive layoffs, so you will want to insulate your family against a sudden job lose, having a large mortgage could eat through savings pretty quickly.

Seattle is great for a variety of reasons, but you should come up for a visit before settling on it, traffic has gotten a lot worse since you have left.

Get a new headhunter and see what is available here and elsewhere and don't forget to network with officers who have left and now work in the civilian world.

Best of luck with everything.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:19 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I would be more flexible, and look beyond Seattle, as well, OP. There's a nuclear sub facility on the Kitsap Peninsula at Bangor, there's another Navy facility out there, housing's cheaper out there, and there are some good schools in the area. I wouldn't rule it out. Employers will ask him how long he's ready to commit for; they'll think he's only taking a stop-gap job until he can collect Social Security, rather than being in it for a longer haul. So it's best to cast a wide net. In the Seattle area, there's always Boeing, and they have two locations.

I don't know if it would be worth finding a different headhunter, and interviewing a few of them, before signing on.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Wasn't aware one retained a specific "executive headhunter" anymore. Retained recruiters usually find you, not the inverse. They have no time for you if they don't have a specific role or roles in mind, the world moves too fast these days. And if you're not a precise fit, you're a misfit...here in Seattle anyway.

Close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades anymore, this isn't 1960 when a sheepskin from Harvard and excellent track record of command in the USN were plenty enough to be heard out by half-dozen leaders in business, and definitely made an offer from several.

Friend of mine was retired out of the Army as an O-5, in command of hundreds of men at battalion in-theater Europe, Afghanistan, and Iraq for the Engineers. 24 years. Fortunately, he's well-paid with a pension for life, and he earned it.

Unfortunately, despite being a PE and Master's degree, it took him two to three years to find a real, long-term role. He aimed way too high out of the gate, and I suspect scared the Jesus out of every hiring authority he interviewed with. "Intensity" sums him up. Didn't bother me, but I'm not afraid of his intellect and leadership abilities. Most people are. Right, wrong, is irrelevant.

He was pretty upset about all of it a couple years. Eventually, he persevered, just last summer. He'll be fine, now, with relevant experience to back the years of command and degrees/certs. He remarks under his breath that he's "underemployed" but at low $100Ks, he's doing much better than "nothing" for several years.

Welcome to it. There won't be "executive" roles forthcoming, out of the gate, but perhaps Sr. or Principal to start.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
Yes, ageism is alive and well here but I doubt anywhere else us different in this regard.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 PM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
Seattle area is definitely a young person's game with age discrimination becoming more blatant and aimed at younger all the time. My career was finally terminated involuntarily for me a few years earlier than planned, at the age of 63, even though I have a Senior mechanical engineering background with an amazing range of skills in high tech design and FEA/thermal analysis, CAD and Project Planning.

I agree though.....Just one headhunter? Yikes, you need to be searching yourself and have several good headhunters and professional level agencies lined up and searching. No one has an exclusive on you.

Good employment in the Seattle area, as long as you can serve up a 10 word description of a specific coffee quickly. Yes, a lot of "underemployed" people keep the stats from looking too bad.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:53 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
I don't know about you, but often I am glad to take a physical fitness job. I know they hold no prestige whatsoever but having done both white collar and blue, I would say pain from white collar inactivity ( chained to a desk) is MORE painful than aches from labor.

So when the white collar world dumps you due to age and only thing left is blue it might not be a bad thing.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
Is it worth to live in seattle? In short, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area