Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 AM

302 posts, read 308,075 times

Advertisements

For my relocation to, hopefully, Seattle - I need to obviously learn to drive. It's not so bad in comparison to TX but still you need to drive to get around Seattle/surrounding areas, right?
I don't drive and have only done some practice/lessons in the UK but never seen it through to sit the test and get a license for one reason or another.

my question is, what is the best way to learn to drive in WA and where should I go to get lessons and pass the test(s)?

what can I read *now* to get started on learning to drive in WA and be prepared for lessons as well as the tests?
how difficult are the tests? What is involved?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,322 times
I highly recommend Bellevue's defensive driving school: https://www.driving-school.com

They will supply you with all of the materials you need to learn it all. Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2015, 08:38 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Actually, if living in Seattle's core neighborhoods (Belltown, Uptown, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, First Hill, ID, N. Beacon Hill, Admiral, U-District, Wallingford, Fremont, Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, Ballard, etc.) or some outlying areas (downtown Bellevue, Factoria, Northgate, Columbia City), you can get along just fine without a car or not knowing how to drive.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't learn how to drive - when applying for a job, it looks better if you have a driver's license, rather than just an ID card.

Driving Schools in Seattle - Yelp

Old 08-10-2015, 12:49 AM

302 posts, read 308,075 times
thank you very much!

can somebody learn to drive/take tests without having a residency in the US? or do you *have* to be a resident in the state/city before learning to drive and taking the tests?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
thank you very much!

can somebody learn to drive/take tests without having a residency in the US? or do you *have* to be a resident in the state/city before learning to drive and taking the tests?
Washington is one of three states that do not require proof of citizenship or legal residency to get a learner's permit, a driver's license, or ID card. That's not true for an "enhanced" ID or driver's license.

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Proof of identity required to get a driver license

Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 AM

261 posts, read 221,461 times
excellent. thanks !

Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
For my relocation to, hopefully, Seattle - I need to obviously learn to drive. It's not so bad in comparison to TX but still you need to drive to get around Seattle/surrounding areas, right?
I don't drive and have only done some practice/lessons in the UK but never seen it through to sit the test and get a license for one reason or another.

my question is, what is the best way to learn to drive in WA and where should I go to get lessons and pass the test(s)?

what can I read *now* to get started on learning to drive in WA and be prepared for lessons as well as the tests?
how difficult are the tests? What is involved?

thank you!
I lived in Seattle for 20 years, and didn't have a driver's license. As I was getting ready to relocate to a more rural area in another state, I got professional driving instruction, and got my license before leaving. It's pretty cheap: about $35/hr., maybe a little more, now. You first read the WA state driver's handbook and take the written exam (pretty easy) to get your learner's permit. From there, it's up to you as to how many hours of practice you want/need, in order to have the basic skills to pass the exam.

Warning: parallel parking is part of the driving exam, but most driving schools don't teach it, bizarrely. They tell you to figure it out on your own.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Warning: parallel parking is part of the driving exam, but most driving schools don't teach it, bizarrely. They tell you to figure it out on your own.
Which is probably the major reason why people fail, unless examiners are now going easier on that.

I also learned to drive as an adult - went through a driving school up by Northgate. Passed first time.

I'd say that the instructor is more important than the school. Make sure they teach defensive driving, and expose you to a variety of driving conditions. If not learning, get another instructor. If going through instructors like tissue paper, open up to the idea that you might be the problem.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Which is probably the major reason why people fail, unless examiners are now going easier on that.

I also learned to drive as an adult - went through a driving school up by Northgate. Passed first time.

I'd say that the instructor is more important than the school. Make sure they teach defensive driving, and expose you to a variety of driving conditions. If not learning, get another instructor. If going through instructors like tissue paper, open up to the idea that you might be the problem.
There was a guy who was a one-man driving school. He had a foolproof method for parallel parking. He was the only instructor I ever worked with who taught it. I also noticed that with the big driving school in town (I no longer recall the name), there's no consistency from one instructor to the next as to some of the principles taught. One guy would teach me one thing, and the next guy would be horrified, and would say, "You're not supposed to do that!"

Old 08-10-2015, 12:34 PM

261 posts, read 221,461 times
so, that's interesting. you need to have a test to get a permit? over in the UK you do not..you just apply for one (pay a fee) and that is your provisional driving license. I have mine and have been doing some lessons but stopped for around a month or more due to me being pretty busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: