Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:49 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times

Advertisements

I've put this into work/employment because the primary reason I'm learning another language is to advance myself professionally. If the mods feel like it should be put elsewhere, feel free to move it.

I'm a monolingual native English speaker that is trying to seriously learn the Spanish language for professional and personal advancement. My question is, have any of you here successfully became fluent in a second language as a post-collegiate adult? What methods did you use?

At the moment I'm using a combination of books, Rosetta Stone, and livemocha.com for my studying. I'm trying to devote 1-2 hours per day on my studying. At the moment a classroom setting would be a little tough for me to do with my schedule and that I have been traveling fairly frequently as of late. I feel as if I'm doing pretty well so far.

Anyone have tips or success stories? I'm looking to be able to speak, read and write Spanish with conversational ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
See if you can work a weekly conversation group into your schedule. A friend has become pretty fluent that way. It wouldn't require the same level of commitment as a class.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:26 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I took a Basic Conversational Spanish class one summer when I worked for the school district. It was through Continuing Education, and it was a new clas. They had to have a minimum of 25 people in each class, and they were way over. I didn't feel that I learned anything from it, I think I actually learned more listening to my co-workers, and from using my dictionary. Total immersion is the way to go.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Hrrm... I am pretty good in French and Spanish and didn't do them in school. I also have lived in France and lived in Florida/California/Chicago(all easy access to Spanish)... so I am exposed to it. I currently live with somebody from France, our guest for 3 months.., so I speak french everyday.
I used my girlfriends text books and audio tapes which were for university classes to supplement.
Main thing is exposure, and practice.
Another good thing is when you watch dvds would be to turn on the foreign audio/subtitles.
You being in San Diego, the first thing I would do is to turn the the spanish radio stations, I am sure you get them. That way you can have it in the background all day.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Spanish radio and TV are great ideas. We have Spanish lessons on the radio in Vegas and I bet you do too. Start shopping at the Hispanic grocery stores and interacting with as many people who speak Spanish as possible. Every day.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Default Language Exchange

Either find someone who is fluent in Spanish, but has poor English
skills who is willing to trade one-on-one teaching or just go
to where the day laborers hang out and hire someone to tutor
you for a couple of hours.

Listening to the TV/radio is fine and so are groups, but you get
10x the bang for the time doing one-on-one training.

Isn't that what it's all about? Your time, that is?

If you are going to spend one hour studying, there is nothing like a
native speaker trying to communicate with you in that language.

The topic is absolutely, completely unimportant. It also doesn't
matter how bad you suck. They can put five different colored
pens on a table and give you great practice:

(1) pick up the green pen
(2) give me the red pen
(3) put the blue pen in your pocket
(4) write your name with the orange pen
.... you get the idea ...

I've traveled a lot to Taiwan and Japan and was fortunate to find
many many people who wanted to do Language Exchange. They
pretty much won't let you sit anywhere alone without wanting to
practice their English with you --- so I made a deal ...

I spent the summer of 2003 in Taiwan learning Mandarin taking a
course in a Taipei college. I attended five days a week for three
hours a day, but the two or three hours I spent doing Language
Exchange daily was 10x better "schooling." -- NO COMPARISON.

In a couple of months, I was talking to cab drivers
( in my crappy, but understandable Chinese )
about living in Phoenix and Taipei.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Thank you guys SO much for the input. I think the main thing I need to do is try to find a group to actually talk to in Spanish. I really like the idea of finding someone that needs help in English and teaching each other. Thanks again!!!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid
... I need to do is try to find a group
to actually talk to in Spanish. ...
It depends on the value of your time.

You'll get more out of having an individual teach you one-on-one.

That is, 30 minutes of one-on-one is worth more
than 60 minutes with two learners and one teacher.

Come to think of it, it's the same with tennis or golf lessons.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I've put this into work/employment because the primary reason I'm learning another language is to advance myself professionally. If the mods feel like it should be put elsewhere, feel free to move it.

I'm a monolingual native English speaker that is trying to seriously learn the Spanish language for professional and personal advancement. My question is, have any of you here successfully became fluent in a second language as a post-collegiate adult? What methods did you use?

At the moment I'm using a combination of books, Rosetta Stone, and livemocha.com for my studying. I'm trying to devote 1-2 hours per day on my studying. At the moment a classroom setting would be a little tough for me to do with my schedule and that I have been traveling fairly frequently as of late. I feel as if I'm doing pretty well so far.

Anyone have tips or success stories? I'm looking to be able to speak, read and write Spanish with conversational ease.
I suppose if your line of work will necessitate that you are speaking with people who speak the language, it would be highly beneficial to learn it. Personally, I would not be too interested in working with people who cannot speak English, but that's me. I would like to learn Spanish so that I know what people are saying about me when they think I don't understand. LOL

Rosettastone is good. I am learning Thai with it and I really like it. Depending on where you live, you can get a native speaking tutor which will help immensly with pronounciation issues.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 AM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
The best way to learn another language is through immersion. So...do your coursework, but like the other posters said...use it everyday. When I was learning Spanish in college (it was my minor) we were encouraged to do this:

Study vocabulary only in small bits of time. Don't try to spend 1-2 straight hours a day memorizing your Spanish (you won't retain as much, it's a waste). Try to spend 20 minutes a day working on memorizing vocabulary, then put it down for the day.

Watch tv everyday, for 20-30 minutes. I find that watching the news is the best thing, because they speak proper Spanish. Regular TV shows can have a lot of slang and they don't speak as clearly, which can be difficult.

Listen to Spanish music. As you memorize lyrics, you learn words.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment