Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM

279 posts, read 480,556 times

Advertisements

I am coming from SoCal and wanted to see what others are doing to make it an easier transition coming from the sunny weather to the more grey wet weather. What have you done?

For instance... Do you use different lighting in your home? Have you painted the interior of your home brighter colors? Have you included more life in your home such as an aquarium or animals? Do you use different clothing for walks? Do you make sure to go out and actually do stuff and participate in getting out of the house?

any and all suggestions would be great to hear!

Thank you,

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM

366 posts, read 645,956 times
Honestly the sooner i move the better why would anyone live in Seattle. The only thing that can be said about Seattle is that the pay is far better here than most places but whats the point when your too cold to go out and it rains non stop. I been here for a couple years and moving here was necessary at the time but I mean this sincerely NO THING is worth the weather here. It's like death right now as I type. It's so cold it hurts your face. It might rain any second, that's how Seattle is.

All this affects the people here. The women don't even care how they look. The men as had been told to me by women are weird, passive and slobs.

This place is Hell. I'm waiting fr summer. If I stay another year I won't be here for December, January and February.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,976,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
For instance... Do you use different lighting in your home?
No, but I have a "Happy Light" at my desk at work.

Quote:
Have you painted the interior of your home brighter colors?
We painted our kitchen a cheerful light blue/sunny yellow combination.

Quote:
Have you included more life in your home such as an aquarium or animals?
We have two cats that certainly make our home livelier.

Quote:
Do you make sure to go out and actually do stuff and participate in getting out of the house?
Yes, when it is sunny out I try to take advantage of it and make sure I get out and about, even if I have to invent something to do.

It's also a great time of year to schedule trips to warmer places.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,976,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Honestly the sooner i move the better why would anyone live in Seattle. The only thing that can be said about Seattle is that the pay is far better here than most places but whats the point when your too cold to go out and it rains non stop. I been here for a couple years and moving here was necessary at the time but I mean this sincerely NO THING is worth the weather here. It's like death right now as I type. It's so cold it hurts your face. It might rain any second, that's how Seattle is.

All this affects the people here. The women don't even care how they look. The men as had been told to me by women are weird, passive and slobs.

This place is Hell. I'm waiting fr summer. If I stay another year I won't be here for December, January and February.
Wow.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM

21,990 posts, read 15,746,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Wow.
Wow is right. So cold it hurts your face? It's 52 degrees. That's a lot warmer than most of the country in winter.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,055,674 times
Oh heck thanks for the laughs about the extremely cold weather in Seattle!!!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
We did nothing different, in fact we spend a lot more time outdoors here than we did in CA due it not being so hot. A jacket with hood is fine for being outdoors during most of the year when the rain is just a constant misty drizzle. In our 20 years here the only times we have even used an umbrella is while watching a kid's soccer game when there was heavier fall rain.
We have been down to 15F this winter but for a very short time, 1-2 days. Most of the winter it's high 30s-40s and
I will be outside in a windbreaker. Other family members more sensitive to the cold will wear a down coat. We don't do anything with paint or lights, but we do keep all the window coverings open all day.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM

312 posts, read 733,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post

May I ask how old you are and are you married? Just curious....I am sorry you are so miserable due to weather....I would like to add that sun doesn't necessarily make you happy...warm temps don't necessarily make you happy...living among southerners in the south, I can truly attest to that.... they are some of the most miserable folks I have ever met in all my life...

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,634,418 times
I am not from California, I moved here from the Midwest- but I have to say there is nothing we need to do about any of the darkness or wetness. As others have said, we are outdoors more because the weather is rather mild in winter (compared to most of the rest of the county anyway, not the case in comparison to California). And the wetness is no big deal, it has no negative affect other than getting a little wet more often when walking around outside.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM

510 posts, read 610,996 times
Man, if you are having trouble with this winter you are going to die next time when we have a more normal winter. This is the driest, sunniest Seattle winter in quite a while.

Just curious, what do you do outside that you have found this winter to wet for? I ride a bicycle to work every day, and I can only even remember a 1 or 2 days this year that i got so wet as to be uncomfortable. And what do you do that it is too cold? As others have mentioned, it is over 50 degrees today, going to be above 55 next week. That is pretty perfect weather for hiking, biking, playing football, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area