Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 AM

312 posts, read 734,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Anyone who complains about the cold in Seattle is dramatic and sheltered and deserves to be shunned.

I have been following the temps in Seattle this winter and it isn't cold....you guys have no clue what cold feels like if your face hurts at 52 degrees.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 PM

89 posts, read 169,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Honestly the sooner i move the better why would anyone live in Seattle. The only thing that can be said about Seattle is that the pay is far better here than most places but whats the point when your too cold to go out and it rains non stop. I been here for a couple years and moving here was necessary at the time but I mean this sincerely NO THING is worth the weather here. It's like death right now as I type. It's so cold it hurts your face. It might rain any second, that's how Seattle is.

All this affects the people here. The women don't even care how they look. The men as had been told to me by women are weird, passive and slobs.

This place is Hell. I'm waiting fr summer. If I stay another year I won't be here for December, January and February.
Why would people choose to live in Seattle,

1. Good location

2. Like you said they actually pay better there
than most communities across the country

3. Safe. There are no Gary Indiana or West Philadelphia's
there where you have to watch your butt.

4. Washington States one of the few good states left
in this country

5. It's pretty. Same can't really be said for most
communities across the land.

When I relocate, Seattle is the only place I want to move to.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM

291 posts, read 393,931 times
Quote:
Honestly the sooner i move the better why would anyone live in Seattle...
Does anyone else wonder if there is a secret agency that goes from place to place and installs ankle monitors on transplants forcing them to stay here even after they realize that it rains a lot in a rainforest, and that a tech/industry/logging town doesn't have a ton of women? I'd love to see a picture of those ankle bracelets. We could start a revolution. Stop forcing people to stay in the Pacific Northwest!!! It's a cruel prison!

The male:female ratio is the main factor affecting what women have to do to attract a man. Look at Russia. Hardly any men and the women there look like peacocks. It's far colder almost everywhere in Russia than anywhere in Washington (continental climate and all that), but they still wear miniskirts. There aren't enough men, so they do what they must to attract them.

Seattle, San Francisco and Anchorage are some of the most male-dominated cities in the US. No big surprise that the girls aren't what you're used to.

I would never advise a straight man to come to Seattle to meet a nice girl, unless he's looking for money.

theattractivearts.com/2012/01/top-tips-for-seattle-singles-part-1/

(Edited as it auto-formatted this URL.)

On the other hand I like the men here. I have a lot of men friends and they are nice, funny, friendly guys. Not slobs at all. I mean, I don't usually hang around people who are severely depressed and slobby, but hey, that's just me.

I love Seattle. I love the rain. I love the color of moss. I love running in the rain. I love skiing. I love mountains. I love the ocean. I love being by myself. I love dinner parties. I love cheap wine from Eastern Washington. I love wearing cotton clothes whenever I want. I love biking. I love hiking. I love indy music in people's houses instead of in clubs. I like my friends. I like cheap Thai food and making my own gourmet dishes rather than paying someone else $150 to make it. I like keeping a garden. I like dark humor. I like the way factories look. I like the emphasis on the workers of the state. I like our bridges. I like our Science Festival. I like Northwest Trek and I like Bellingham and I like camping and I like the ferries. Like many Seattlites, I met my partner online. I love camping in Oregon. I love the Sounders, the Seahawks, the Sonics, and the Mariners. I love salmon and I love fishing. I like the way the trees look black in front of the white sky.

I know our film festival is not the biggest in the world and I really don't care. I like it. It is what it is. Last year they combined the science and film festivals and had some talks by scientists at sci-fi films and it was really cool.

I am not asking anyone else to like it, but I'm also not asking them to live here.

Seattle will never be "California but cheaper" or "New York but cheaper" and as soon as people realize that there is a reason it is cheaper--you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy it here--the sooner people will stop acting like they moved here with a gun to their head. "You lured us with your lower COL and vague descriptions of climate... what does temperate rainforest really mean, anyway?"

It's like going to Hawaii, saying it's a paradise, and whining about property prices. Yes, it costs a lot. Supply and demand, people. You want to live on an island paradise? You will pay through the nose. You want a low cost of living? You are going to have to give something up.

We have industry because we have water and we have water because we have rain. We have hydroelectric power because we have precipitation! You can't have hydroelectric power, salmon, skiing, and industry without precipitation.

Protip: If you don't like rain, think twice before moving to a temperate rainforest. This simply cannot be understated. It's not going to be less rainy just because you'd really rather live in a low COL area without rain. That will not happen. Prices depend on the weather.

If you don't like industrial chic and plaid shirts, perhaps avoid moving to an area that was built very much on the logging industry and building airplanes and move nearer to a fashion capital. I'm not saying that to be rude. I'm not saying that to keep you away from some paradise. To us, that is paradise. If it's not paradise to you, be aware it will still be here when you arrive, along with the horrible boots. I'm sorry.

If you want to move where there are lots of women, be prepared to move to an area where men are leaving because there aren't jobs, and women stay behind because they were raised to be wives, not workers. (In general, obviously--no culture is homogeneous, and there are plenty of dynamic working women in Atlanta, just as there are good-looking women in Seattle, though not as many as some would like.)

I was born in the northwest have traveled quite a bit and I've never heard so much moaning as I hear here. The main problem with Seattle is unrealistic expectations. The metro area is just over 1 million people. Our industries are software, logging and airplanes. Our climate is a rainforest. It is what it is: a logging rainforest backwater. And yet, people move from places like New York, San Francisco, even Atlanta, and complain that it's not sunny/international/fast-paced/friendly (i.e. invite you to church in a fake way) enough. I just don't know what to say about that.

tl;dr Your tears disappear in the rain. If someone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay, please report this behavior at washingtonwine.org.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,202,519 times
WA state is a great state, in so many ways, but very tough socially, especially for single men, in Seattle, imo, and the congestion and traffic have become way too overbearing imo. Was a great place, about 20 years ago to me. Not any more. Spokane might be the better choice nowadays, for more open spaces, less traffic, much more affordable housing and more sunshine, but not economically of course.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,807 posts, read 81,756,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
WA state is a great state, in so many ways, but very tough socially, especially for single men, in Seattle, imo, and the congestion and traffic have become way too overbearing imo. Was a great place, about 20 years ago to me. Not any more. Spokane might be the better choice nowadays, for more open spaces, less traffic, much more affordable housing and more sunshine, but not economically of course.
I arrived here 20 years ago, and yes, traffic is far worse, and many of the woods in my area have been replaced with new home developments. I solved the traffic problem by switching to the bus, now I relax and zoom along in the express lanes. I was already married, but two of my kids have married as have the kids of many of my neighbors, and 3 of my employees, most men and all in the last 1-5 years, so there must still be single women around. Just take a walk around UW some time, or watch the young women marching off the 70s routes buses at Westlake tunnel station in the afternoon.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,406,877 times
What do you do to make Seattle life easier?
Well, judging from what kinds of businesses are all over, people in Seattle:
1. Smoke pot. Medical marijuana dispensaries are numerous, especially in certain areas.
2. Drink beer. Washington is one of the nation's leaders in microbreweries.
3. Drink coffee. You can't stumble in Seattle without falling into a place that sells espresso.
4. Drink whiskey. I've noticed quite a few tiny distilleries in Seattle.
5. Drink wine. Woodinville's full of wineries. Even places like Renton have wine bars.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM

366 posts, read 647,022 times
[quote=MmeZeeZee;33118751]Does anyone else wonder if there is a secret agency that goes from place to place and installs ankle monitors on transplants forcing them to stay here even after they realize that it rains a lot in a rainforest, and that a tech/industry/logging town doesn't have a ton of women? I'd love to see a picture of those ankle bracelets. We could start a revolution. Stop forcing people to stay in the Pacific Northwest!!! It's a cruel prison!

The male:female ratio is the main factor affecting what women have to do to attract a man. Look at Russia. Hardly any men and the women there look like peacocks. It's far colder almost everywhere in Russia than anywhere in Washington (continental climate and all that), but they still wear miniskirts. There aren't enough men, so they do what they must to attract them.

Seattle, San Francisco and Anchorage are some of the most male-dominated cities in the US. No big surprise that the girls aren't what you're used to.

I would never advise a straight man to come to Seattle to meet a nice girl, unless he's looking for money.

theattractivearts.com/2012/01/top-tips-for-seattle-singles-part-1/

(Edited as it auto-formatted this URL.)

On the other hand I like the men here. I have a lot of men friends and they are nice, funny, friendly guys. Not slobs at all. I mean, I don't usually hang around people who are severely depressed and slobby, but hey, that's just me.

I love Seattle. I love the rain. I love the color of moss. I love running in the rain. I love skiing. I love mountains. I love the ocean. I love being by myself. I love dinner parties. I love cheap wine from Eastern Washington. I love wearing cotton clothes whenever I want. I love biking. I love hiking. I love indy music in people's houses instead of in clubs. I like my friends. I like cheap Thai food and making my own gourmet dishes rather than paying someone else $150 to make it. I like keeping a garden. I like dark humor. I like the way factories look. I like the emphasis on the workers of the state. I like our bridges. I like our Science Festival. I like Northwest Trek and I like Bellingham and I like camping and I like the ferries. Like many Seattlites, I met my partner online. I love camping in Oregon. I love the Sounders, the Seahawks, the Sonics, and the Mariners. I love salmon and I love fishing. I like the way the trees look black in front of the white sky.

I know our film festival is not the biggest in the world and I really don't care. I like it. It is what it is. Last year they combined the science and film festivals and had some talks by scientists at sci-fi films and it was really cool.

I am not asking anyone else to like it, but I'm also not asking them to live here.

Seattle will never be "California but cheaper" or "New York but cheaper" and as soon as people realize that there is a reason it is cheaper--you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy it here--the sooner people will stop acting like they moved here with a gun to their head. "You lured us with your lower COL and vague descriptions of climate... what does temperate rainforest really mean, anyway?"

It's like going to Hawaii, saying it's a paradise, and whining about property prices. Yes, it costs a lot. Supply and demand, people. You want to live on an island paradise? You will pay through the nose. You want a low cost of living? You are going to have to give something up.

We have industry because we have water and we have water because we have rain. We have hydroelectric power because we have precipitation! You can't have hydroelectric power, salmon, skiing, and industry without precipitation.

Protip: If you don't like rain, think twice before moving to a temperate rainforest. This simply cannot be understated. It's not going to be less rainy just because you'd really rather live in a low COL area without rain. That will not happen. Prices depend on the weather.

If you don't like industrial chic and plaid shirts, perhaps avoid moving to an area that was built very much on the logging industry and building airplanes and move nearer to a fashion capital. I'm not saying that to be rude. I'm not saying that to keep you away from some paradise. To us, that is paradise. If it's not paradise to you, be aware it will still be here when you arrive, along with the horrible boots. I'm sorry.

If you want to move where there are lots of women, be prepared to move to an area where men are leaving because there aren't jobs, and women stay behind because they were raised to be wives, not workers. (In general, obviously--no culture is homogeneous, and there are plenty of dynamic working women in Atlanta, just as there are good-looking women in Seattle, though not as many as some would like.)

I was born in the northwest have traveled quite a bit and I've never heard so much moaning as I hear here. The main problem with Seattle is unrealistic expectations. The metro area is just over 1 million people. Our industries are software, logging and airplanes. Our climate is a rainforest. It is what it is: a logging rainforest backwater. And yet, people move from places like New York, San Francisco, even Atlanta, and complain that it's not sunny/international/fast-paced/friendly (i.e. invite you to church in a fake way) enough. I just don't know what to say about that.

tl;dr Your tears disappear in the rain. If someone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay, please report this behavior at washingtonwine.org.[/QUO

Well I guess spending thousands of dollars relocating, isn't a gun to my head but it sure is a grudging desire to at least try and make seattle work! It isn't easy to just move on back, it takes money a job in :the place you're going to and a financial cushion. Anyone who has ever moved out of state knows this!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM

366 posts, read 647,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
I'm from Southern California and do just fine here. I love that it's not oppressively hot and sunny all the freaking time. The grey is a nice break from the sun. But then, I'm a gamer so there is plenty for me to do in winter (lots of game nights with friends, meetings in coffee shops, farmers markets, parks to visit).
When it rains here, it's more like a drizzle. It's easily ignored.
Your from socal and you visit farmers markets and do game nights. You fit right in. I grew up in the socal lifestyle, it takes adjusting.

Late night beach runs, bonfires on a real beach. Skate boarding with your shirt off down steep hills, outdoor races, parties on the side of the road, girls with appeal and warm California attitudes, fishing off the pier at midnight with a tshirt on. Visiting the desert for dune buggys, lake havazu, vegas a few hoursaway. San Diego best beaches you can imagine. Girls everywhere always looking to roll. Orange county fair. Magoo lake fishing. Inexpensive trips to baja california and boat charters for dirt cheap. Knotts, magic mountain, wild waves. Downtown hollywood with thousands of people walking around any day of the week.

Went downtown seattle last weekend no one really around.....you must be 40+

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,636,723 times
Quote:
Your from socal and you visit farmers markets and do game nights. You fit right in. I grew up in the socal lifestyle, it takes adjusting.

Late night beach runs, bonfires on a real beach. Skate boarding with your shirt off down steep hills, outdoor races, parties on the side of the road, girls with appeal and warm California attitudes, fishing off the pier at midnight with a tshirt on. Visiting the desert for dune buggys, lake havazu, vegas a few hoursaway. San Diego best beaches you can imagine. Girls everywhere always looking to roll. Orange county fair. Magoo lake fishing. Inexpensive trips to baja california and boat charters for dirt cheap. Knotts, magic mountain, wild waves. Downtown hollywood with thousands of people walking around any day of the week.

A huge area, with a huge population and you only list the positives..That's one way to compare two places.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM

279 posts, read 481,104 times
Quote:

Late night Beach runs - No Thanks
Bonfires on the beach - I live 4 houses from the beach and rarely go!
skate boarding - ummm I'm 42 and have a life
outdoor races - the whole "i have a life thing" comes into play again
parties on the side of the road - sounds like your 17 years old
girls with appeal - I'm gay!
fishing off the pier at midnight - can I say "I'm gay" again?
Dune Buggy's - okay that could be fun
lake havazu - again... I'm gay! girls showing me ******* doesn't cut it
Vegas - ladies wearing shiny outfits smoking cigarettes I can do without
San Diego beachees - I currently live in Laguna Beach and I can't wait to leave
Girls everywhere looking to roll - I guess I could take them to the top of a hill and push
Orange County Fair - Been there done that twice. threepeat does not need to happen
Magoo Lake Fishing? See "I'm gay comment"
Inexpensive trips to Baja - I'm fine with going to Mexican restaurants instead
Boat Charters for dirt cheap - Let me guess... to catch fish? You know what I'm gonna say!
Knotts Berry farm - Been there 20 times
Magic Mountain - I think this is the same as an inexpensive trip to baja
Wild Waves - never heard of it
Downtown Hollywood - Okay okay... This is a good one! I do love Hollywood.

and you forgot DISNEYLAND! let me answer anyways.... BEEN THERE DONE THAT 300 TIMES!

Okay.... I get what you are saying that there is a ton of **** to do in SoCal. But, there has to be a ton of **** to do in Seattle too. If not, then I will be a millionaire... no no no... a BILLIONAIRE in 5 years because I'll open a business or two or three and get those PNW people something to do.

BTW... I'm 42 year old man with a Husband and three kids. So I'm looking for more of a family environment. Chasing chicks (lol), fishing and running wild on the beach is not something I have the time or want to do. I do have an annual trek to Burning Man. But other than that I am busy with my family, going to work, educating and showing my kids the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area