Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 PM

314 posts, read 461,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acm122 View Post
ZeeZee is right. Most people who think Seattle sucks are single, straight men. And for for them, it does suck.
A LOT of those single straight men moving to Seattle are moving here to work in tech for Amazon, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. And unlike the start-up techbro / bro-grammer scene in SF which seems to attract a lot of former Wall Street MBA types, the tech industry here seems REALLY engineer focused. Which if you had to pick the community most known for being socially clueless, completely unable to flirt, and generally inept around women, the "straight male CompSci engineer" would be it.

Possibly the frustrations with Seattle's dating scene stem not from its women (or the male:women ratios) but that a lot of the techie men in Seattle just don't know how to get laid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,582,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
I do believe you - your post was quite illustrative. Nor are you alone in expressing this sentiment. As tongue-in-cheek as my response was - it is the truth. There is a cloud layer, that many people find oppressive, over Seattle much of the time. At any moment, it could rain. To some it's not a big deal, but others get a little traumatized. Having encountered many Californians who are quite comfortable here - I'm not sure that's the factor. It seems to be something you just have to try for yourself.

I do sincerely hope you are able to relocate someplace where you will be more comfortable.
I love Seattle and its weather. But I had an identical feeling to what he described on a couplr trips up there. I literally felt claustrophobic with what felt like a thick layer of grey pushing down on me. It felt so low and enveloping. At the time I was wondering if other people felt that too up there or if it was just me.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,402,135 times
Yeah, this winter was a walk in the park compared to others. LOL @ people who think SoCal weather is anything but an aberration to what is normal weather to 99.99% of the world's population.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
It's funny, as a native Angeleno, I often find myself "location scouting" when I'm driving around Seattle. It's such a cinematic place. People here might find that idea funny (and my California perspective kind of shallow and gross) but I mean it in the best way. I don't try to find ways to make this place more like California. I really try to see Seattle, and appreciate all the ways it is not like California. Do I miss SoCal sometimes? Sure. But I could never go back after living here. I would miss Seattle more than I ever miss California. So that's my advice to make things easier here: witness and embrace how it's different by almost every metric, and you'll be happier. I feel like some folks fall into a trap of wanting it to be like "home." I hope Seattle will never be like California. I actually worry about how sunny it's been so soon in the season. I hope word doesn't get out! :-)
Too late. Been to Alki beach before? The whole drive up the coast reminds me of California beach towns.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,064,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Too late. Been to Alki beach before? The whole drive up the coast reminds me of California beach towns.
Went last summer. It does feel a little like Venice. But overall it's still uniquely Seattle to me.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Went last summer. It does feel a little like Venice. But overall it's still uniquely Seattle to me.
Should've been here before hte condos went up like weeds. Lots of characters in the bungalows and 1-2 story houses, classic cars, etc. Now it's just overcrowded bleh. I avoid the area like the plague now.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,344,406 times
Those Veriluxe lamps didn't make any difference for me. All they did was giving me a migraine because of the bright, unflattering bluish cast of light. How is that supposed to make me feel better?

I am in the process of painting my basement apartment bright yellow. Very bold idea, but it's a desperate attempt to warm my apt up. My lease is up in August and I will NOT move to another basement apartment. I only took this place because it was a steal for the location (downtown). But I HATE basements, and I regret signing the lease on this dungeon. I would rather live on the top floors of a high rise in Northgate than this stupid basement apt in downtown.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM

279 posts, read 481,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
What do you do to make Seattle life easier?
Well, judging from what kinds of businesses are all over, people in Seattle:
1. Smoke pot. Medical marijuana dispensaries are numerous, especially in certain areas.
2. Drink beer. Washington is one of the nation's leaders in microbreweries.
3. Drink coffee. You can't stumble in Seattle without falling into a place that sells espresso.
4. Drink whiskey. I've noticed quite a few tiny distilleries in Seattle.
5. Drink wine. Woodinville's full of wineries. Even places like Renton have wine bars.

I like everything on this list.... but where are the whiskey distilleries? names would be great!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,448,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
I like everything on this list.... but where are the whiskey distilleries? names would be great!
All Distilleries | Washington Distilleries

Old 05-31-2014, 05:21 PM

279 posts, read 481,949 times
You are soooo good to me Ira!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area