Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 PM

9 posts, read 25,259 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I will be taking a 2-3 day vacation in the spring time in Seattle (First time visiting)
I am looking for 'major' activities/places to make my time in Seattle efficient.

I have read reviews online and on other boards recommending the Argosy Seattle Harbor Cruise (It is so popular that it is in the Seattle Day Pass, not sure I am going to buy the pass, but just saying). The description of the cruise is :Seattle Harbor Cruise - Tour The Historic Seattle Harbor & Waterfront
Guests enjoy a narrated 1-hour sightseeing tour of Seattle’s vibrant and historic harbor, with never-ending skyline views of the city, the Space Needle, and Mt. Rainier.

Price with early bird booking is $23.75 per person adult.
My friends and I are college age men, we do not have little kids/elderly or wives accompanying us

Other places we plan on seeing/doing:
  • Pike's market
  • Seahawk stadium
  • Space Needle
  • Seattle Aquarium
  • Public Library
  • EMP Museum
  • Sculpture Park
The cruise sounds interesting since we will be able to get to see Mt. Rainer which we will not have time to actually visit.

My main concern I have is that it may get boring/tedious, so I welcome all opinions, especially if you have experience with this cruise.

Also any other recommendations on things to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
1-hour sightseeing boring?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 PM

Maybe a better word is slow.
Never been on a sightseeing cruise so idk if its going to most composed of a ride looking at water with the guide telling bad jokes with the occasional short stop at an attraction

Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabar View Post
Maybe a better word is slow.
Never been on a sightseeing cruise so idk if its going to most composed of a ride looking at water with the guide telling bad jokes with the occasional short stop at an attraction
It doesn't stop - it just cruises through Elliott Bay (the Seattle waterfront).

If you do take an Argosy boat ride, I'd suggest the one that goes through the Locks. The Locks are really interesting, and you'll see a little more of Seattle.

I think a Ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island will give you the same sightseeing as the Argosy waterfront ride. Minus the jokes (yes, the Argosy rides are "narrated" by friendly but cheesy guides, granted they do give you some history). FYI, you can see Mt. Rainier from many parts of Seattle on a clear day.

For some nice views of downtown and Mt Rainier, check out Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill.

Another popular tour in Seattle is the Ducks tour across the street from the Space Needle.

Depending on when you're here, you may want to take in a Mariners game. It's a beautiful stadium.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
We took a 1-hour tour a few years ago when a relative came to visit (we didn't go through the locks.. just the waterfront of city center and the port). From the perspective of someone who had been living here and had pretty much seen/done all that there is to see I still think it was an enriching experience. I certainly hadn't ever been up that close and personal to a port and it's quite a different perspective than just driving along side of them.. I really appreciate the operators of the barges and the cranes now. I would imagine going through the locks would be just as interesting, if not more, than driving and walking around them. I didn't like the tour talk... and yes, it was scripted and contained terrible jokes and then the girl wanted money for the terrible jokes at the end of the tour and I felt completely obligated to tip her because she's just a kid and I'm not. I think given what's on your list to see, it'll be a good addition. My only doubt is that you'll see Mt. Rainier in the spring. July or August... yes.. April or May... maybe

Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My only doubt is that you'll see Mt. Rainier in the spring. July or August... yes.. April or May... maybe
My thought too, spring means almost constant drizzle, and overcast here so no views of any mountains unless you happen to luck out and get a rare clear day.
The Harbor Tour gives you a different perspective from what you can see from the land side, well worth the cost if you are not familiar with a working waterfront.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:04 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
It doesn't stop - it just cruises through Elliott Bay (the Seattle waterfront).

If you do take an Argosy boat ride, I'd suggest the one that goes through the Locks. The Locks are really interesting, and you'll see a little more of Seattle.
^This. I wish I had taken that one my first time there. I never did take it again either so I would say, yes take the tour and yes take the one that goes through the locks.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Keep them coming!
We will be traveling at the end of March, how's the weather/views during that time?

Also as a side question, for a person who plans on not vising Seattle for a while after this trip (Got other places to see), is it worthwhile to go to the top of the Space Needle two times a day for two different views (1 at night, 1 during day), or should I just buy the one time a day pass.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
We did the Argosy trip last summer on a beautiful day. It was worth it.

You might consider the Chihuly Garden & Glass exhibit near the Space Needle. I've heard they have combo tickets for the exhibit and the Space Needle.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabar View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Keep them coming!
We will be traveling at the end of March, how's the weather/views during that time?

Also as a side question, for a person who plans on not vising Seattle for a while after this trip (Got other places to see), is it worthwhile to go to the top of the Space Needle two times a day for two different views (1 at night, 1 during day), or should I just buy the one time a day pass.
Oh, you're coming in March? Don't count on seeing mountains. If you do, it's because you won the monthly weather lottery.

I was thinking it'll be beneficial to get one of those passes for various attractions. I've done the Space Needle day and night (not on the same day). You might want to hold off on deciding on that until you see what the weather is like. Day is better than night. I don't know.. there is so much to see and do in Seattle that I think there would be some substantial opportunity cost in doing the Needle twice. Personally, I would do something else like the Chihuly exhibit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area