Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabar View Post
is it worthwhile to go to the top of the Space Needle two times a day for two different views (1 at night, 1 during day), or should I just buy the one time a day pass.
I would go to Columbia Center (73rd floor) during the day and Space Needle at night.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/columbia-cen...deck-seattle-3

http://skyviewobservatory.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 25,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Oh, you're coming in March? Don't count on seeing mountains. If you do, it's because you won the monthly weather lottery.

I was thinking it'll be beneficial to get one of those passes for various attractions. I've done the Space Needle day and night (not on the same day). You might want to hold off on deciding on that until you see what the weather is like. Day is better than night. I don't know.. there is so much to see and do in Seattle that I think there would be some substantial opportunity cost in doing the Needle twice. Personally, I would do something else like the Chihuly exhibit.
If I am coming in March, and the weather is likely not good as you and others in this thread have hinted at, would it still be worth it to go on a sight-seeing Argosy cruise? Would the mountain be the only thing truly affected visibly by the weather?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
If I am coming in March, and the weather is likely not good as you and others in this thread have hinted at, would it still be worth it to go on a sight-seeing Argosy cruise? Would the mountain be the only thing truly affected visibly by the weather?

Thanks
Those boats have an indoor lower section with big windows, and an outdoor open upper section. If you don't want to get wet just stay below. The rain in spring is almost always a light, misty drizzle and doesn't hamper the local views. It does keep you from seeing distant Mt. Rainier, though.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,072 times
Quote:

Thanks
Try to get there for the Argosy cruise a little early. The boat travels counter-clockwise and it's best to get a seat on the starboard side for the best views.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I would go to Columbia Center (73rd floor) during the day and Space Needle at night.

Columbia Center Observation Deck - Downtown - Seattle, WA

Sky View Observatory - Seattle - Floor #73
Wow thanks for that info! I didn't even come across this place in my tour book (maybe I skimmed past it).
Yeah, I think I'll go see this during the day and Needle at night.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,798 times
Quote:
Wow thanks for that info! I didn't even come across this place in my tour book (maybe I skimmed past it).
Yeah, I think I'll go see this during the day and Needle at night.
I've been up to the Columbia Center about 2 years ago and it was indeed a great view. The only thing is, while on the website it said it's a 360 degree view, it's really about a 270 degree view, unless they've changed the layout in the past couple of years. Also went on the 1 hours Argosy Cruise, only because we had the CityPass booklet. It was a typical cloudy misty day where I could see the skyline but not much else. If the weather is nice and clear it might be better but to me if you only have 2 days it isn't worth the time. As other posters mentioned the Locks tour may be more interesting but I haven't gone on that tour. Should definitely see the Space Needle, even though it's expensive, as it pretty much defines the city skyline. If you're into taking pictures go to Kerry Park for that iconic shot of the skyline.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:41 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
while on the website it said it's a 360 degree view, it's really about a 270 degree view, unless they've changed the layout in the past couple of years.
They changed it this summer.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Also, by the way, I am looking to book the early cruise time (12:15 - 1:30 ish) since I've heard theres less people that go that early.

Is there high chance for a marine layer/fog during that early in the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area