Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times

Advertisements

After working in the yard this weekend I have to admit this year the spider problem is significantly worse than usual. I walked into one web that was not there 1/2 hour earlier and the spider was still on it and hit me in the face. I'd still prefer to live with them as they are beneficial. I will even remove them from the house alive and put them outside. You can try all you like but they will get into the house. Have you seen a hatch? There were some on the tire on one car that hadn't been out for days and there were thousands crawling around, so tiny that they can easily go through the holes in a bug screen. Like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
OHW

102 posts, read 147,757 times
Thanks for the nightmares!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,265,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerbun View Post
Yes, it is a seasonal thing. Right now there are webs everywhere. The female spiders are out looking for mates (or so I read somewhere). It'll die down in a couple of months and we'll go back to our bug-free existence.

I know they are harmless, but you can't rationalize away a phobia. Seeing a spider makes my heart pound and makes me feel sweaty and freaked out.
I'm curious. I don't yet live in Seattle (my husband is looking at a job there), but I do have a terrible spider phobia.

Is it possible to use a pest control company to spray for the spiders/bugs?

I guess I'm asking: when people are complaining about these spiders are they using a pest control company. . . and still getting spiders?

Alley

Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I'm curious. I don't yet live in Seattle (my husband is looking at a job there), but I do have a terrible spider phobia.

I guess I'm asking: when people are complaining about these spiders are they using a pest control company. . . and still getting spiders?

Alley

Ummm, no. You will never keep them all out, so why pollute the world and your immedeate living area? Just endure for a couple months.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 PM

171 posts, read 356,057 times
Quote:

Alley
I lived in Seattle for over 10 years and I never heard of anyone spraying for indoor pests - spiders or otherwise. It's probably possible, but not very effective or eco-friendly. For example, if you don't want spiders to crawl up your drains, keep them plugged when you aren't using the sink/tub.

If you do move to Seattle AND decide to spray for bugs/spiders, I would definitely recommend that you do it on the down-low and keep it quiet to avoid hearing a lot of judgmental lectures from people about toxic chemicals...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM

80 posts, read 193,077 times
Quote:

Alley
I'm sure, but I haven't needed it.

I have a spider phobia too, actually.

I have seen very few actually inside the house, and I leave the windows open all the time. I also have screens, and that seems to keep them out. It's outside that really makes me nervous, especially in the mornings walking out to the car because they've had all night to build their g-d webs.

However, it only lasts a few weeks. The tradeoff is that you hardly see them at all for the majority of the year (or that has been my luck, so far, after being here two years).

I moved here from Florida, where they have more bugs (including more spiders) and bigger bugs, so I can deal with spider season here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area