Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,336,806 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here to find work (yea, risky move blah blah you can say what you want, but I'm here now). I've been putting in job applications like crazy, even to some that I feel I'm overqualified for (retail cashier jobs). And many for administrative assistant positions, in addition to those that deal with my degree (very specific specialty, though). The job postings I read on Indeed and other sites don't seem to be producing as many ads as I saw a few months ago. I'm wondering if the market might be stagnant now, because a lot of staff involved in hiring are out on vacation or something? Is there are particular month that's best for finding jobs in Seattle?

I should mention that I am NOT involved in IT or any medical fields, so I'm talking about jobs unrelated to those fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 PM

346 posts, read 969,556 times
how old are you? what's on your resume?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,700 posts, read 81,510,683 times
There is no real season for jobs though tourism is big and many lower paying jobs open up in May-June related to that but they end in September.

Most of us here do not take vacations in the summer, because it's the only 2-3 months with sun (normally). We prefer to vacation in winter, spring or fall when it's raining here. While the job market here has been much better than many other cities, there was a big hiring push a few months ago and those have been filled by now. Entry level/retail jobs are normally flooded with applicants in earlier summer as college students come back home or new graduates looking for whatever they can find.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Entry level/retail jobs are normally flooded with applicants in earlier summer as college students come back home or new graduates looking for whatever they can find.
Are the people working in meager sales associate positions at retail stores college grads? I thought they were all high school kids, which made me hesitant to apply for those jobs. But I'd feel better working with other college grads. I know that sounds snotty, but you know what I mean...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
how old are you? what's on your resume?
23 and no I don't have a lot on my resume. Right now, I'm just holding out for any assistant position I can even get and then work on the jobs pertaining to my degree later. But even assistant jobs seems sparse.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,700 posts, read 81,510,683 times
High school kids can hardly get jobs in fast food. I know several recent college graduates, most have moved back with their parents. One is a barista at Starbucks, another a telemarketer. The problem is the jobs available here require skills and experience, and it's forced graduates to aim lower. My most recent hire is at the lowest level we offer which still requires 3 years experience, and he is an MBA.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM

346 posts, read 969,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
23 and no I don't have a lot on my resume. Right now, I'm just holding out for any assistant position I can even get and then work on the jobs pertaining to my degree later. But even assistant jobs seems sparse.

UPS is always hiring people to load and offload trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area