Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM

265 posts, read 722,516 times

Advertisements

First of all sorry about the new thread for what is a much discussed topic. I have been reading them and going back and forth and now have myself thoroughly confused so I thought it would be better to try and get the info all in one place So anyway...

I am married with 4 kids. At present they are 8, 16, and the twins are 20. My husband and myself are in our later 30's. We moved from the Midwest out to Port Angeles what is now 2 years ago. I have to say that I absolutely love it here. There are drawback of course, but I love being in the middle of nature. Love being able to get to the ocean in 1.5 hours and the rain forest. Or if I need a quick nature fix I drive to the river or head out to Lake Crescent. So when I think of having to leave here I get pretty bummed out. Sorry for the novel I just thought more information will garner better answers from those of you who know.

So anyway, my youngest son will be graduating at that time and has dreams of UW. Obviously that may not happen right away and he may have to start with community college but there are many choices and opportunities for him in the city. I am quite confident he could manage on his own, though it would freak me out, but his twin brothers are slightly disabled and cannot. They have spent their time in our little town being dependent, living on their own, but they still have some issues that keep me wanting them nearby so I can help when needed. They are at the local college here with disability accommodation but will have to, about the same time as their younger brother graduates, make a move in their education. The only place they can do this, for what they need and want to do, is a larger city. So to get everything everyone is interested in and remain in WA that choice has to be Seattle.

We have stayed in just a few areas of Seattle and visiting only a few, and visiting is not living. We did rent a vacation house in West Seattle for 1 week and I have to say that I did like it but I didn't get to really explore the area as much as I wanted we were sight seeing. A few weeks ago I stayed with a friend's family out by what I think is Shoreline??? It was around 7th and 152nd street, while my son was at UW for lacrosse camp. Beautiful area as far as homes go but I really didn't get to see the neighborhood around it. When we visit it tends to be the downtown area because I have things I have to do there, but I really liked the look of what I think is called the Greenlake area? And I really liked Ballard. But again, some of it was a quick-out-of-the-car to see something or just driving through. Oh and i thought the university disctrict was very pretty but I don't imagine it would be really great for us, hard to say.

So I guess the problem is I don't really know what we should be looking for. First of all if I had my choice I would stay put but that is not an option. So for me, who loves the trees, and water and critters I can see outside, would it be better to live OUTSIDE SEattle and commute to it? Like Snoqualmie or Edmonds or some other place I don't know of? Or are their nice, semi-quiet neighborhoods with trees and access to water and green space that won't drive me insane and I can just drive when I need a dose of nature? I have toyed with the idea of Bainbridge but having to rely on the ferry all of the time might not be the best idea. Not sure. So any ideas about places in or near Seattle would be appreciated. I am thinking that the boys will probably try to get a place together so they are not really a concern here. I just want to be close enough if something happens and they need me (that is another reason having to rely on the ferry bothers me. I know you can drive around instead but if there was a real emergency that wouldn't be good), find a nice neighborhood where I will not go insane from noise (I need trees and charm) and a good safe place and school for our daughter. Thank you all in advance I look forward to your knowledgeable replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
In addition to what you're already considering, you might check out Sammamish and see if that would suit you. It's on the outskirts, the older developments have large lots, and they've preserved a lot of the big old trees. You're close to Lake Sammamish and parts of it feel like you're more in the forest than a town. However Redmond is right next door and so is Issaquah. Yet you're very close to the mountains.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Its really hard to say whether you should live in the city, in the suburbs or in the boonies (but still commutable to Seattle). There are many places that will fulfill what you're looking for from Maple Valley up North Bend up to Carnation up to Lake Stevens. There's water around plus lots of nature in those areas and the schools are decent. For suburbs, I think also Newcastle would work fine for you, plus its close to Bellevue College.

However, if you still want "quiet" city living... then Nooooo Greenlake isn't going to cut it. Ballard does have quiet parts and you can continue to parts like North Beach, Blue Ridge and even Crown Hill which are very understated areas-- and close to the water, parks like Carkeek, Golden Gardens, Discovery Park et. c not too far off to find that nature relief. Magnolia is also another Seattle Proper that feels "remote" but with even better access to Discovery Park and water is just all around.

You have so many places you have got to investigate.

Also, is your son very set on just UW-Main Campus (Seattle) or would the other campuses work as well? If he does choose to go to the other campuses, he cannot use the UW-Main Campus classes, as they function as separate schools-- but their diplomas doesn't show that separation, he will simply get a UW diploma (no mention of the other campus).

Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 PM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
Lets see, I guess I would say that most places in the city would feel urban even if they did have back yards...I love the critters and birds in my yard and go out side on my deck to listen to them every morning with my coffee but I am still acutely aware that I am in the city. The most quiet places in town would tend to be Magnolia (Discovery Park area), Blue Ridge, Sunset Hill which is above Ballard, North Beach and Broadview. Broadview would be the most affordable of those neighborhoods and it would also tend to have the larger lots. Carkeek Park is very close to Broadview and is really amazing with its woods, beaches and trails.

Schools throw the monkey wrench...private or public? One of the best public ES in Seattle is West Woodland which is fed by Phinney Ridge, Parts of west Green Lake and some of Ballard. Nothing very wooded or quiet though some individual homes depending on their lots and locations could have very private, nature feeling backyards. Ballard HS would be the school for all of the above neighborhoods I mentioned.

If you want to leave the city but still be close to town I vote for Edmonds or Richmond Beach. Fairly easy commute, good schools all the way from K to 12 and many homes with larger lots and a wooded natural feeling. Shoreline CC is also a very good school and close to both of these communities. Shoreline Public Schools have a great reputation.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
In addition to what you're already considering, you might check out Sammamish and see if that would suit you. It's on the outskirts, the older developments have large lots, and they've preserved a lot of the big old trees. You're close to Lake Sammamish and parts of it feel like you're more in the forest than a town. However Redmond is right next door and so is Issaquah. Yet you're very close to the mountains.
Thank you for the quick reply I will definitely check out Sammamish and Issaquah. I have been into Redmond and really didn't care for it. There was nothing wrong with it per se' I guess some towns just sort of feel like I am back in Michigan except for the weather and this was one of them

Old 07-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Its really hard to say whether you should live in the city, in the suburbs or in the boonies (but still commutable to Seattle). There are many places that will fulfill what you're looking for from Maple Valley up North Bend up to Carnation up to Lake Stevens. There's water around plus lots of nature in those areas and the schools are decent. For suburbs, I think also Newcastle would work fine for you, plus its close to Bellevue College.

However, if you still want "quiet" city living... then Nooooo Greenlake isn't going to cut it. Ballard does have quiet parts and you can continue to parts like North Beach, Blue Ridge and even Crown Hill which are very understated areas-- and close to the water, parks like Carkeek, Golden Gardens, Discovery Park et. c not too far off to find that nature relief. Magnolia is also another Seattle Proper that feels "remote" but with even better access to Discovery Park and water is just all around.

You have so many places you have got to investigate.

Also, is your son very set on just UW-Main Campus (Seattle) or would the other campuses work as well? If he does choose to go to the other campuses, he cannot use the UW-Main Campus classes, as they function as separate schools-- but their diplomas doesn't show that separation, he will simply get a UW diploma (no mention of the other campus).
Thank you for all the suggestions I have never heard of Maple Valley and will have to look into that. I can't say I HATE the city, and I can live with some noise, I just don't want screeching downtown mayhem. If I didn't have my daughter I really think I would be okay with that but it is not what I want for her. When we stayed in West Seattle I could definitely hear the traffic but the house was this cute cottage, had a lovely backyard with an awesome view of Ranier, so I felt I could relax out there. As long as I can get to areas that are green and am not so far that I can't get out to REAL nature like waterfalls and mountains and such I think I would be ok. I tend to be sensitive to what things around me look like so if an area has some charm I think I can deal. Biggest thing is someplace safe for our little girl.

As far as school he has his heart set on the main Campus. And if he cannot enter as a freshman I think he would have a good chance as a transfer student as long as he keeps up his grades. He REALLY wants to play lacrosse and is very good at it, so I know that's in his head. But if he could not there are clubs in Seattle where he can play and keep up his skills.

I don't know if you have any opinion on this, but your posts always seem very knowledgeable, what do you think of Portland vs. Seattle? I know the youngest boy has his heart set on UW but he would go where ever he could play lacrosse. And the other two can go to school in either place. Just a thought...

Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
Lets see, I guess I would say that most places in the city would feel urban even if they did have back yards...I love the critters and birds in my yard and go out side on my deck to listen to them every morning with my coffee but I am still acutely aware that I am in the city. The most quiet places in town would tend to be Magnolia (Discovery Park area), Blue Ridge, Sunset Hill which is above Ballard, North Beach and Broadview. Broadview would be the most affordable of those neighborhoods and it would also tend to have the larger lots. Carkeek Park is very close to Broadview and is really amazing with its woods, beaches and trails.

Schools throw the monkey wrench...private or public? One of the best public ES in Seattle is West Woodland which is fed by Phinney Ridge, Parts of west Green Lake and some of Ballard. Nothing very wooded or quiet though some individual homes depending on their lots and locations could have very private, nature feeling backyards. Ballard HS would be the school for all of the above neighborhoods I mentioned.

If you want to leave the city but still be close to town I vote for Edmonds or Richmond Beach. Fairly easy commute, good schools all the way from K to 12 and many homes with larger lots and a wooded natural feeling. Shoreline CC is also a very good school and close to both of these communities. Shoreline Public Schools have a great reputation.
Thank you very much for the suggestions. Our daughter would go to public school. Unless Ed McMahon visits me sometime before we move I will have to look into Broadview and shoreline. I think we were in Shoreline?? when we stayed with some friends a few weeks ago. I have never heard of Richmond Beach so will definitely check that out

Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
I don't know if you have any opinion on this, but your posts always seem very knowledgeable, what do you think of Portland vs. Seattle? I know the youngest boy has his heart set on UW but he would go where ever he could play lacrosse. And the other two can go to school in either place. Just a thought...
Personally, I don't think too highly of Portland because it feels small and doesn't offer as much of the things that I do like. I also do not like how its run both on the city and state level. That's just me. Even if I was interested in moving there later on, it still wouldn't happen. My husband is from that area and vowed that he's never moving back there (and that's a long story in itself, LOL).

However, as a young person who's coming from a smaller town, PDX just might be right for your kid(s). I know that Portland/OR have this thing where your kid(s) pay the same tuition rate as a resident at the public universities/colleges because he's from a neighboring state (though do check that out because with the economy, they might have changed that). So that definitely could help PDX's favor. Your kids can take the train to visit in Seattle.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Personally, I don't think too highly of Portland because it feels small and doesn't offer as much of the things that I do like. I also do not like how its run both on the city and state level. That's just me. Even if I was interested in moving there later on, it still wouldn't happen. My husband is from that area and vowed that he's never moving back there (and that's a long story in itself, LOL).

However, as a young person who's coming from a smaller town, PDX just might be right for your kid(s). I know that Portland/OR have this thing where your kid(s) pay the same tuition rate as a resident at the public universities/colleges because he's from a neighboring state (though do check that out because with the economy, they might have changed that). So that definitely could help PDX's favor. Your kids can take the train to visit in Seattle.
We still might give Portland a visit just for the heck of it, but I was looking on a website that I think you?? posted here on CD. It was for another thread and showed each neighborhood and their info and rentals. On that there was the walkability website which had some nice pics and after looking at that I do not think that Portland would be for us. The kids really want to go to Seattle and only entertained the idea of Portland because of me but I am not impressed with what I saw. Not in the slightest. My only idea with Portland had been we would be closer to the ocean than we will be in Seattle but with what I could see it seemed kind of ugly.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM

I have been going through all you guys helpful suggestions and looking at the site, Seattlerentals.com and its links to the walkscore.com website I think I am getting a little bit of a sense of what would work for us. I think. Some areas that were mentioned I have not found info on yet but am still looking. There is still the possibility of going out of the city of course but right now we are concentrating on the city itself. If my husband and I decide that doesn't work for us we will still have a good feel on what might work for the boys, so it is not time wasted ANY info anyone can give me on these areas + any pics or interesting tid-bits would love to hear/see them

So looking at the pics and reading the info such as transit times/crime info (which is very important with our little girl) I am interested in finding out as much as possible about these areas:

Maple Leaf (nice low crime rate though not many pics of how the area looks)
Wallingford (Crime rate was great and I REALLY liked the pics of this I could find)
Ballard (someone said the schools were good but it looks like they have above average crime so not so sure about this one)
Magnolia (to die for from the pics I could see and the proximity to Discovery park and water but pretty pricey)
Madrona (need to find more info on this one but was intrigued)
West Seattle (not sure why I keep going back to this one. I know its busy but we rented a house in what I think is the ADmiral area for a week one vacation and I just was very relaxed there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area