Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM

136 posts, read 246,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I'd love to see better pedestrian access across Aurora Avenue.

...On a more serious note, I would like to see a bit of development in Chinatown. I really liked visiting Chinatown Place in Chicago, which is a new-ish development modeled after shopping centers in China. It takes some of the industrial edge off the neighborhood and makes it a pleasant place to spend a weekend afternoon.
Did you hear that they are building a new Bruce Lee interactive museum in Chinatown? I think that will be a great addition to the ID.

Edit: I just realized that someone beet me to this point.

Anyway, I agree that the Pacific Science Center needs a massive renovation and upgrade. I also think that the entire Seattle Center needs it as well. There was a plan for Century 21 to completely revitalize the entire Seattle Center that was going to cost several billions of dollars but the mayor has recently postponed it because of the expense of it.

The plan would rebuild the center house (armory) and give it glass ceilings. it would also rebuild the memorial stadium to open it up and move it to a better location. It would also have allowed for several acres of park space to be included. I was so disappointed that it wasn't going forward.

Last edited by JasR30; 07-09-2013 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: copied someone else's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,065,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
Did you hear that they are building a new Bruce Lee interactive museum in Chinatown? I think that will be a great addition to the ID.

Edit: I just realized that someone beet me to this point.

Anyway, I agree that the Pacific Science Center needs a massive renovation and upgrade. I also think that the entire Seattle Center needs it as well. There was a plan for Century 21 to completely revitalize the entire Seattle Center that was going to cost several billions of dollars but the mayor has recently postponed it because of the expense of it.

The plan would rebuild the center house (armory) and give it glass ceilings. it would also rebuild the memorial stadium to open it up and move it to a better location. It would also have allowed for several acres of park space to be included. I was so disappointed that it wasn't going forward.

Funny. I just posted about Bruce in the Hip thread.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 PM

165 posts, read 207,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I'd like to see some sort of museum dedicated to the dead and dying industries that drew so many people here - mining, lumber, fishing, canning.
How soon we forget the Odyssey
Port to end pact with maritime museum - seattlepi.com

We do have that shiny new museum of history and industry though.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM

458 posts, read 962,884 times
The Pacific Science Center is befuddling to me. I almost didn't send my 8 year old to camp there last week because I find it so vastly underwhelming and dated! I will say after sending said child, that the camps they provide for children are very impressive. My kiddo learned much in Doctor Camp...including dissecting a sheeps eyeball...but I digressed. I think the first thing the area needs to do is get a world class 21st Century Science Center....when people visit our city they think of great minds doing great and exciting, cutting edge work but then you visit the science center and you walk away thinking...hmmm, that was odd and rather terrible!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM

136 posts, read 246,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
The Pacific Science Center is befuddling to me. I almost didn't send my 8 year old to camp there last week because I find it so vastly underwhelming and dated! I will say after sending said child, that the camps they provide for children are very impressive. My kiddo learned much in Doctor Camp...including dissecting a sheeps eyeball...but I digressed. I think the first thing the area needs to do is get a world class 21st Century Science Center....when people visit our city they think of great minds doing great and exciting, cutting edge work but then you visit the science center and you walk away thinking...hmmm, that was odd and rather terrible!
I couldn't agree more. When I was a kid I loved the Science Center. Now, 30 years later, it looks the same to me. I would love to see the city put some money into this place. It could potentially be a fantastic tourist attraction but instead it just gets neglected.

On the other hand, I am excited to hear that the Seattle Aquarium is getting a well deserved upgrade. I hear they are doubling the size of it. Finally Seattle will have a world class aquarium. Now if we can just do the same for the science center.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 PM

412 posts, read 1,156,789 times
-Add second amusement park north of Seattle, or out East of Seattle where land is available. Also, add a small amusement park at Seattle waterfront, if possible.

-Expand the Woodland Park Zoo to a world class zoo with lot more space for the animals. The current zoo is pretty small compared to Omaha and other zoos around the country.

-Make ID bigger with more exciting features added to it, they need more asian themed garden and parks and attractions as well.

-Add more street car lines/routes in greater downtown Seattle (I think it is in works)

-Seriously, add more native Washington plants around the city, I don't like the concentre jungle with tiny non native street trees. Here's one example, downtown Santa Rosa in California has tall redwood trees lined up in downtown, looks nice.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM

68 posts, read 118,284 times
I would suggest a couple of things:

- A major renovation/upgrade to the Pacific Science Center. Everything about that place feels outdated.
- A major maritime museum. Seattle is very closely linked to the water and deserves a major maritime museum to showcase it's maritime history.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,492,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I couldn't agree more. When I was a kid I loved the Science Center. Now, 30 years later, it looks the same to me. I would love to see the city put some money into this place. It could potentially be a fantastic tourist attraction but instead it just gets neglected.
I have a ton of pictures from the Seattle World's Fair. It still looks the same as then, just dingier though.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,404,170 times
I don't know where the Science Center is spending all of it's money. The place is packed on weekends and during school breaks, but the exhibits are dull and uninspired. This is a city built on innovation, technology, engineering and science, but the best we can do is an outdated temporary bug exhibit and naked mole rats? It's an embarrassment.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

71 posts, read 114,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
-Add second amusement park north of Seattle, or out East of Seattle where land is available. Also, add a small amusement park at Seattle waterfront, if possible.

-Expand the Woodland Park Zoo to a world class zoo with lot more space for the animals. The current zoo is pretty small compared to Omaha and other zoos around the country.

-Make ID bigger with more exciting features added to it, they need more asian themed garden and parks and attractions as well.

-Add more street car lines/routes in greater downtown Seattle (I think it is in works)

-Seriously, add more native Washington plants around the city, I don't like the concentre jungle with tiny non native street trees. Here's one example, downtown Santa Rosa in California has tall redwood trees lined up in downtown, looks nice.
The bonus of Woodland Park Zoo being smaller though is it's really accessible by most Seattlites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area