Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM

149 posts, read 276,901 times

Advertisements

After oodles and oodles of reading, researching and soul searching, I have to admit to still being unsure about the area of Seattle that would really feel like "home" to me.

I'm 46 years old, female and single. Originally from the west coast of Florida in a smaller town. Spent half my life there, and then 25 years in LA for my job. I currently work as a freelancer from home, so I don't have a commute to worry about.

I keep struggling with recommendations to be "near everything" versus a fear of being overwhelmed with a cacophony of experiences.

In LA, I didn't live in the center of everything (not that you really can for the most part). I lived initially in the Valley (Burbank) and then the west side (Playa Del Rey then Malibu). So I've always been a bit away from things, and could choose when it was time to dive into my experiences. I've traveled quite a bit in Europe and Japan, and while I loved those experiences in the big cities of London and Japan - 1 to 2 weeks at a time is a far cry from day to day living.

I'd have to say I'm on the introverted side. I like meeting people, and enjoy getting together with folks but primarily in smaller groups. A few hours with 6 to 8 friends getting together to talk, watch sports, etc. works - but big parties make me start looking for the nearest available exit within 30 minutes :-) All the sounds, lights, and people just becomes overwhelming to me.

I go to sleep relatively early (10:30pm to 11:00pm) and really start to lose my patience with noisy neighbors when I'm trying to sleep (just being honest here). I work from home, and home is where I "nest" - so I'd rather have amenities in a more cookie-cutter complex than do without in a place with charm and character - if you know what I mean. So I'm not 100% sure that a hip and young apartment complex is the right place for me, even if I am attracted to the variety of stores and shops around. I'm not a nightlife person really, don't do the bar scene much anymore.

I'm also on a journey to re-discover myself after some soul-breaking years in my coroporate job. I enjoy walking in parks, along the waterfront, etc. I have a tendancy to be a hermit, so I need to be able to go places and get back out with humanity to break that - whether that is walking or driving a car. I used to love photography, and I'd like to do more of that now that I have time. Natural beauty, landscapes, animals are my draws with my photography. I love museums and attractions, love aquariums and zoos. Bookstores and libraries also get my vote. Beyond that, my previous career didn't really give me time to figure out what else I enjoy about life, so I hope to change that. I used to love fishing and water skiing growing up, and have always wanted to learn to sail.

There are 3 main areas I keep looking at for some reason.... Ballard / Fremont, Eastside around Kirkland, and Bainbridge Island. And I realize they are all vastly different.

For Ballard / Fremont - I keep coming back there after I go looking for things I like to do and seeing how many options are around this area and neighboring locales. For Kirkland, I go back to how much I love walking along the waterfront and the areas like Bridle Trails are appealing. And Bainbridge keeps calling to the nature lover in me, that likes to "get away from it all". I could see Bainbridge soothing my soul and providing a sanctuary, but then I worry that I won't get out and do anything :-)

I like to put down some roots in a place, instead of moving every year - so I'm trying to figure out what calls to me the most. Obviously, I cant have everything :-) But when you have different desires pulling on you, how do you figure out which is the most important?

I'd love some advice on how to truly tap into that lifestyle that's really "me", if that makes sense? It's really hard to make a list of priorities when I have competing desires (aka get out, meet people, discover things versus a home sanctuary to nest in, peace and solitude). So any advice is welcome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
We have been in Sammamish 20 years, and I don't often recommend it except for families with kid because it's really peaceful and quiet but most singles don't like that. In your case, however, you might consider it. You can find anything you want/need within 5 miles in either Redmond or Issaquah, groceries, gas and a few restaurants right here. We have 3 lakes for fishing and sailboats, Beaver Lake, Pine Lake and Lake Sammamish. The latter is also big enough for water skiing and has a boat launch. Along the east side of the lake is a trail that goes 10 miles from Issaquah to Redmond, and east of 228th Ave we have several sets of big wilderness parks with plenty of trails. You will have no trouble sleeping at 10pm, in fact most days 8pm will be quiet. Our library is only a couple of years old and is state-of-the-art with amazing sunset views and even part of the Seattle Skyline. Issaquah has a small zoo, the big one in Seattle is a 45 minute drive. You will even catch some wildlife to photograph, in my neighborhood I have seen coyotes, eagles, opossums, deer, owls, and even a bear.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
I could be completely way off target here, but it sounds to me that if left to your own devices, your instincts would lead you to a quiet place with trees and water. But you think you ought to have a shot at having a bit of a social life, and the ability to have stuff to walk to or get to easily( museums, coffee shops, bookstores, etc) has it's appeal.
Fremont's really small. It has that walkability thing, but there's not much there to satisfy the quiet hermit looking for her peaceful sanctuary.
Ballard is bigger, and you can be near waterfront and park land, but close enough to stuff going on.
Kirkland certainly has it's appeal, but the downtown area has a younger crowd. Does that matter?
There's nothing wrong with Bainbridge. They've got a new art museum. If you were near Winslow( the place with the ferry dock), there's restaurants and stores. You wouldn't need to be a cooped up hermit.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks for both recommendations. Yes, left to myself my instincts would definitely lead me to a quiet place with trees and water :-) I do want to try some various meetup groups to get involved once I move, so I'm worried that if I go too far out I'll be cutting myself off from the chance to have a social life.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Why not check out Normandy Park? Very quiet with tall trees, by the water and only 20ish mins away from Seattle.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 AM

164 posts, read 430,227 times
I would suggest looking from Sand Point and other areas north along the lake down to Leschi. There are some real nice quiet family neighborhoods but still in the city.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,361 times
Madison Valley and Montlake have a lovely ambiance, but are minutes away from several neighborhoods full of stuff to do.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 PM

171 posts, read 355,737 times
Normandy Park is a good suggestion. If you're a church-type person, I'd recommend checking out John Knox Presbyterian there. It's a good-sized church with plenty of opportunities to make connections with your neighbors.

I know that Bainbridge Island has a number of active civic organizations, clubs, etc. My friend who lives on the island is kind of an extroverted hermit, if such a combo can exist You would probably find some kindred spirits there.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM

17 posts, read 68,033 times
I think Bainbridge Island is the best choice out of the options you listed. I have family there and it's really lovely, laid back. Country-like, with lots of friendly locals. It's only a ferry ride away from the big city if you want it and the ride is spectacular

Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - I'm back off to research again until I can make the trip up :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area