Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,143 times

Advertisements

So just how much sunlight does Seattle get?

I have taken great care to calculate exactly how much sunlight difference between Seattle, and Los Angeles.

Accounting the following I was able to come up with a real, actual quantifiable number, that explains why people from sunnier climates feel that Seattle gets so little sunlight.
(As the facts show, it get very little sunlight.. less than HALF the true sunlight radiation of Los Angeles, per year.)
  • Annual Days of sunlight
  • Monthly days of cloudiness
  • Angle of the sun

ANNUAL DAYS OF SUNLIGHT/CLOUDS

SEATTLE-TACOMA
CLOUDY: 225
SUNNY: 140

LOS ANGELES CITY
CLOUDY: 74
SUNNY: 291

TOTAL YEARLY HOURS OF ACTUAL SUNLIGHT (NOT OVERCAST) INCLUDING ANGLE DIFFERENCE:

SEATTLE-TACOMA: 1563.769 HOURS
LOS ANGELES CITY: 3570.562 HOURS

Percentage of LESS SUNLIGHT in Seattle vs Los Angeles: 0.562038
Percentage of MORE SUNLIGHT in Los Angeles vs Seattle: 2.283305

Seattle gets 56.2% Less Sunlight Than Los Angeles.
Los Angeles gets 228.3% More Sunlight Than Seattle.

Please see my detailed Excel sheet that I made citing all the calculations and sources.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sunlight comparison Seattle vs Los Angeles.zip (21.9 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by certsevtxert; 06-22-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 10:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Ok? I don't think anyone is surprised by this.....

Old 06-22-2013, 10:40 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
I don't dispute your findings - you calculated that we get a little over half as much sunlight as L.A.
So what?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I don't dispute your findings - you calculated that we get a little over half as much sunlight as L.A.
So what?
Actually LESS than half.

56.2% LESS

in other words: 43.8% of the amount of sunlight.

Put another way:

Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
So what?
Native Seattlites tend to argue that Seattle doesn't get near as much rain or clouds as people say. However, they are wrong. They are just used to it - it's how they grew up.

The reality is, that Seattle gets a MASSIVE amount less sunlight, and comparatively ALWAYS clouds.

By taking away MORE THAN HALF of the sunlight that people from warmer climates are accustomed to, this creates lots of issues like Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Depression, and general sadness and a longing for the sun.

It is important that people are aware of this if they ever want to consider moving to Seattle.

I would probably not moved here if I had known this before I moved. And I definitely would not moved here if I know I would feel like I do in the over two years since I've been here.

So that's why I want to make others aware of this.

For those who already live here, especially those who have lived here for generations, your bodies are more adapted to the weather, and both physiologically and psychologically you are better able to tolerate it than people from other climates.

I would recommend for people to take this into serious consideration before moving here.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Actually LESS than half.
56.2% LESS
in other words: 43.8% of the amount of sunlight.
Put another way:
Uh ... yes, O.K., I was just rounding off.
Again, though, I don't believe your findings are any surprise!

Were your calculations an attempt to bolster this comment you made on another thread:

"Yeah, dependent on where you are, Seattle is prettier - when it's sunny. Which is like a few days of the entire year, during June, July and August. The rest of the year it is awful drizzling rain, entirely overcast, and very short days for the winter, which is most of the year. Very short, as in, sunrise at 10am and sunset at 3pm. Dark almost all the time. Unfortunately the few days of nice sunny days are not enough to overcome all the awful days of the rest of the year."

Because the bolded "facts" above are still a ridiculous over-exaggeration!
For ex., if it's only "sunny a few days of the entire year", then L.A. ,with its 2 and a quarter times more sunny days, per your calculations, must only get a handful of sunny days.
2.283 X a few = a few. And we know that's not true!
As for the quotes about winter, "most of the year ... 10AM to 3PM", that's just baloney.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 PM

413 posts, read 789,519 times
Quote:
Native Seattlites tend to argue that Seattle doesn't get near as much rain or clouds as people say. However, they are wrong. They are just used to it - it's how they grew up.

The reality is, that Seattle gets a MASSIVE amount less sunlight, and comparatively ALWAYS clouds.

By taking away MORE THAN HALF of the sunlight that people from warmer climates are accustomed to, this creates lots of issues like Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Depression, and general sadness and a longing for the sun.

It is important that people are aware of this if they ever want to consider moving to Seattle.

I would probably not moved here if I had known this before I moved. And I definitely would not moved here if I know I would feel like I do in the over two years since I've been here.

So that's why I want to make others aware of this.

For those who already live here, especially those who have lived here for generations, your bodies are more adapted to the weather, and both physiologically and psychologically you are better able to tolerate it than people from other climates.

I would recommend for people to take this into serious consideration before moving here.
A cursory perusal of climate data would show that Seattle is much gloomier than LA, or most of America. I really don't think the issue is that the information isn't out there.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Uh ... yes, O.K., I was just rounding off.
Again, though, I don't believe your findings are any surprise!

Were your calculations an attempt to bolster this comment you made on another thread:

"Yeah, dependent on where you are, Seattle is prettier - when it's sunny. Which is like a few days of the entire year, during June, July and August. The rest of the year it is awful drizzling rain, entirely overcast, and very short days for the winter, which is most of the year. Very short, as in, sunrise at 10am and sunset at 3pm. Dark almost all the time. Unfortunately the few days of nice sunny days are not enough to overcome all the awful days of the rest of the year."

Because the bolded "facts" above are still a ridiculous over-exaggeration!
For ex., if it's only "sunny a few days of the entire year", then L.A. ,with its 2 and a quarter times more sunny days, per your calculations, must only get a handful of sunny days.
2.283 X a few = a few. And we know that's not true!
As for the quotes about winter, "most of the year ... 10AM to 3PM", that's just baloney.
Yea, I exaggerated exact sunrise/sunset in that other post in the other thread. This post however states cold hard fact. In fact, taking into account all details, there are about:

1563.769/365= Average 4.28429863014 Hours of sunlight per day.

There are about 4 hours of sunlight per day in Seattle, on average.

SO IN FACT IT WAS AN UNDER EXAGGERATION TO SAY THERE ARE AS MUCH AS 5 HOURS PER DAY. WHEN THERE ARE ONLY 4.

With 4 hours of sunlight on average per day, then that means there are 20 hours of darkness per day.
Thus it's safe to make the claim "It's dark all the time"

Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
The photo of Seattle is a true portrayal for many months of the year. We are many shades of grey, a cloudy fishbowl. People like to state that Seattle gets less RAINFALL than other areas, but that's not as significant as the number of OVERCAST days. Our skies can be overcast for weeks, sometimes months -- and this is what contributes to SAD. The rain is a light drizzle, no big deal at all. So thank you for your calculations.

Could you compare Seattle to Pittsburgh and Minneapolis? Those two cities are often described as similar to ours. I considered moving to either at one point, but the overcast skies problem was a deterrent. Would you have any data?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Yea, I exaggerated exact sunrise/sunset in that other post in the other thread. This post however states cold hard fact. In fact, taking into account all details, there are about:
1563.769/365= Average 4.28429863014 Hours of sunlight per day.
There are about 4 hours of sunlight per day in Seattle, on average.
SO IN FACT IT WAS A RIDICULOUS UNDER EXAGGERATION TO SAY THERE ARE AS MUCH AS 6 HOURS PER DAY. WHEN THERE ARE ONLY 4.
There are only 4 hours of sunlight per day???
Which leaves 20 hours of darkness per day.
Riiiiiiiiiight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area