Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:52 PM

258 posts, read 1,506,372 times

Advertisements

I've only driven through both Portland and Seattle once and I'm trying to get an idea of both places. From what I've read Portland is just a smaller Seattle. Seattle is more cosmopolitan and a bigger city feel. They are both generally liberal and have many outdoor activities to do. I've heard some mixed opinions regarding weather, but understand both are pretty cloudy and wet. Are all of these comments relatively accurate? And is Portland basically just a smaller Seattle? Which is a better place for young people, more outdoor activities, better job market, friendlier people? The fact that Portland is smaller and seems to be more laid back appeals to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 10,450 times
I think the most obvious thing is that Portland is a river town and Seattle is a waterfront town. Of course Seattle is amazing in that one can look out at the ocean and see mountains in the distance. Seattle really has a strong mountain-immersed feeling, which I don't pick up from Portland, even though mountains are certainly nearby. Seattle has more grandeur. Portland seems a lot smaller downtown, but its downtown is still has a campy fun quality that Seattle has lost to the BoBo revolution. Portland is easier navigated. Driving in Seattle is no fun anymore. Portland has hidden its wiring underground in certain parts of the city. Both cities are gray, damp, and cool/cold in winter months. Both cities can have long so-called winter months. Don't know really about Portland, but Seattle can have amazingly wonderful summers which run somewhat reliably from July through September.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:26 PM

305 posts, read 1,611,765 times
I've spent lots of time in both. I feel that Portland is more eco and family-friendly. The people are a lot more friendly too....if we're talking strictly about downtown. The surrounding communities in both are nice and friendly. Oregon is sales tax free, but has higher property taxes if you're looking to buy. Both have very similar weather, but being about 150 miles south, Portland does get warmer summer days.

Personally, I'd choose Portland simply due to its navigability. You can drive around easier and traffic isn't quite as bad. Also, Portland is just as much of a mountain jumping off place as is Seattle, and Oregon has nicer beaches that don't take as long to get to as do the ones West of Seattle (ocean beaches, not Alki). Portland is much more bike and dog friendly and you'll find that people actually use the expenisive gear that bought at REI...not just talk about it and maybe use it 2x per season. :-) No offense meant to the Seattlites who really do use their gear! (I'm one of them!)

Really, both cities are very similar, the pros and cons are just in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,199,064 times
Is the weather "identical" or is Portland a little milder? I was there a few years ago in June and it was "hot".(In PDX, the beach was cool) Does Seattle have more grayer days then PDX? I'm hearing that PDX weather is a "little" nicer then Seattle. Any truth to this?

Old 12-08-2007, 04:09 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,160,665 times
Seattle gets 71 sunny days a year
Portland gets 68 sunny days a year
This doesn't include partly cloudy and mostly cloudy days
On average Portland is warmer than Seattle by 2°F
Seattle on average is cooler than Portland by 1°F
Portland averages more precipitation than Seattle by 4.9in.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:47 PM

258 posts, read 1,506,372 times
What about in terms of living for someone young? I'm in my mid 20s, single no family so that is not a concern. Can you compare the job markets of both?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 AM

23 posts, read 107,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
What about in terms of living for someone young? I'm in my mid 20s, single no family so that is not a concern. Can you compare the job markets of both?
Seattle has a roaring job market right now. Boeing, Microsuck, etc. are all hiring. I think the only one not hiring is WaMu since they got hit hard by the mortgage mess. Also, whether the great job market continues will of course depend on how the economy for country goes. I'm not 100% sure how Portland is doing. I think they are doing fairly well, but they don't have the big boys floating around like Seattle does.

As far as living arrangements for young people, Seattle is building a huge number of condos everywhere from highrises downtown to cool urban village developments in the close in neighborhoods. Rentals are starting to be in very tight demand, so prices are of course through the roof right now, but you should still have plenty of selection. I think the same can be said for Portland, but not on the same scale.

As far as public transit goes, Portland is already very well set up with light rail, the trolley, and a pretty good bus system. Seattle is years behind on a number of projects including their light rail system, but the buses still work pretty well.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM

478 posts, read 2,306,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
A note of warning:

Portland attracts a lot of young people, young people who hear a lot about how progressive Portland is and will do ANYTHING to stay in town ... even put up with a pitiful hourly wage. Because the job market is flush with workers and not as flush with jobs, wages are pathetic. The Oregon minimum wage is $7.80/hr. and it can be difficult to find jobs that pay much more than that (I mean $9-10/hr is considered extravagant).

Seattle has a market that is more flush with jobs than workers; as a result, wages are much higher. However, the cost of living is higher as well ... so high, in fact, that many companies are having trouble attracting workers due to the COL. Because of this, the workers that stick around get paid more.

When people talk about affordability in the Northwest, they are talking about a double whammy of sorts: Seattle has the jobs but a high cost of living, and Portland has the livability but very sad wages.

If you move to Portland, get a job before you go!

One could probably move to Seattle and get a job within a week, if they felt so inclined.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:47 PM

463 posts, read 1,294,187 times
There's more hippies in Portland....LOL

Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 AM

51 posts, read 221,614 times
Question: How much Whiter is Portland than Seattle?

Related question: How much more Hipster is Portland than Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area