Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
If you can't stand Seattle's weather then there is many parts of this world you couldn't live in, especially Western Europe!
Yea, you're probably right. ESPECIALLY England, which has very similar weather to Seattle. However much of Spain and France and southern europe like Italy and Cicily and Greece, you're wrong about. You're only correct if you include NORTH Western Europe. Southern Europe is Mediterranean Climate (Mediterranean Sea? duh lol ), just like Southern California. Only, it's also more humid in Mediterranean Europe though I think (I could be wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert

TOTAL YEARLY HOURS OF ACTUAL SUNLIGHT (NOT OVERCAST) INCLUDING ANGLE DIFFERENCE:

SEATTLE-TACOMA: 1563.769 HOURS
LOS ANGELES CITY: 3570.562 HOURS

Percentage of LESS SUNLIGHT in Seattle vs Los Angeles: 0.562038
Percentage of MORE SUNLIGHT in Los Angeles vs Seattle: 2.283305

Seattle gets 56.2% Less Sunlight Than Los Angeles.
Los Angeles gets 228.3% More Sunlight Than Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
No, Los Angeles gets 128.3% more sunlight than Seattle.
Why don't you do the math.

1563.769* 1.283 (aka 128.3%) = 2006.316 Hours
****WRONG.

1563.769* 2.283 (aka 228.3%) = 3570.085 Hours
And the verdict is... 228.3%

PLEASE DO THE MATH BEFORE SAYING STUPID THINGS.

p.s. the answer is off by a few tenths of an hour (3570.562 vs 3570.085) because we rounded to the nearest decimal instead of taking it to the full 6 or 12 or however many digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
Same here from a Minnsotan. LA is a bad benchmark because it has a unique Mediterranean climate found in few other places, offering low humudity and plenty of sun. Of course LA has great weather, thats why people move there.

I think its implied I'm not moving to Seattle for the weather...OP please spend a winter in MN for me, let me know how much Seattle still sucks, k?
no thanks.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 06-24-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,312 times
Actually Jiff is right, but if you add a few more colors and bold text, you might fool someone into listening to you. Here's a hint: twice as much is the same as 100% more.

By the way, thanks for the hard hitting research, you've really uncovered something here.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
So OP, who's fault was it for not researching a city in depth prior to moving? Normally in one's life, moving to a new location is a big deal. New cultures, new surroundings, new weather, new friends, the lot.
Yea, actually I research extensively. I spent 6 months doing research before moving here. And also spent a good amount of time on city-data reading.

Unfortunately, all the Seattlites claim "OH IT'S FINE HERE, IT DOESN'T RAIN MUCH." BULL ****.
Further, even though Seattle gets less total rain accumulation than most major cities, it doesn't matter because it's always raining, - well not raining - DRIZZLING. And dreadfully overcast.

The people whose fault it is, is all these stupid Seattlites who've never been to another city, who try to tell the world "Oh, the weather is beautiful and it's always sunny, the stories aren't true about 'always raining in Seattle', it almost never rains here!" BULL ****!!!

So I created this thread to inform unsuspecting victims of Seattlite LIES about the true state of the dreadful weather in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Actually Jiff is right WRONG, ... Here's a hint: twice as much is the same as 100% more.
Wow, did you drop out of high school?
I WAS DOING MATH NOT ENGLISH. MATH SAYS 200% IS DOUBLE. Moderator cut: name calling.

p.s. yes it's 100% additional. But when using specific numbers, numbers that CAN BE PUT INTO AN EQUATION, you would not use the ADDITIONAL AMOUNT without including the ORIGINAL AMOUNT; thus it is correct to say double is 200%.

1563.769* 1.283 (aka 128.3%) = 2006.316 Hours
****WRONG.

1563.769* 2.283 (aka 228.3%) = 3570.085 Hours
And the verdict is... 228.3%

Moderator cut: rude

p.s. the answer is off by a few tenths of an hour (3570.562 vs 3570.085) because we rounded to the nearest decimal instead of taking it to the full 6 or 12 or however many digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Seems like your only looking at it from a point a view of a person who loves the sun. I know this may be extremely hard to believe but there are those of us who don't. I'm very familiar with sunbelt weather as I lived in San Diego a long time. Believe it or not, I would get...well, I don't know if it was true depression but each may, knowing that it would be months until cooler weather and rain would return would sort of get me down. I hated the endless days of, what to me was heat. Day in and day out. Months on end of dry warmth and hillsides sometimes so dry that the dead plant life would turn from brown to gray-brown. areas without vegetation were dusty in a breeze. Dew points in August and early September in the mid 60's and sometimes hit 70 but no rain unless it was a muggy monsoon sprinkle.

I'll take Seattle's weather anytime! Thanks for conforming for me why me moving there is a great idea
I will laugh my face off when you move here and you HATE IT.
p.s. it takes about a year to really feel the drain of Seattle weather. The first year is OK. But the second year is dreadful. The third year.. you get the point.

Last edited by Count David; 06-27-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunshine View Post
But that isn't the problem, it rains so much more in other places but when it stops, it is sunny again, you need the rain to have green but why don't have the rain a couple of days and get it over with like in New England. As for the REAL issue, the lack of sunlight: somebody posted this chart and for me it was a revelation!!! Nowhere else in the country receives less sunlight than Washington state!!!!

Now compare that to this map that shows the incidence of all cancers for both male and females and see if you can find any pattern:

Source Centers for Disease Control:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunshine View Post
Some clarifications: I meant to say, nowhere in the lower 48 receives less sunlight. And forgot to give the link to the picture below: CDC - Cancer - Data and Statistics - Cancer Rates by State

I also wanted to add that Washington state has the highest incidence of breast cancer and ironically is very high in the incidence of skin cancer:

And you would be tempted to conclude that the sun is so bright when it does come out but that is not the case, what happens is that humans need the sun to regulate the production of serotonin, melatonin and other important hormones that are anti-oxidant. Except for Louisiana and Virginia that can possibly have more environmental pollution, I think the lack of sun is a very important factor that causes people to be unhealthy, but of course there are many others. You would think that the greener states would be less prone to cancer but I don't think that is the case.

WOW!!! Too bad I can't edit my original post to add these charts!!! Very Revealing!!! THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
IF you really want to compare cloudy data.....here is what the astronomical community uses. Scroll down for monthy cloud cover.

For Seattle: Seattle Clear Sky Chart History

For Irvine County: OCA Silverado Clear Sky Chart History

Yeah, Seattle is cloudy. Worst cloudy weather in the country.
Thanks for the links!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post

I will laugh my face off when you move here and you HATE IT.
p.s. it takes about a year to really feel the drain of Seattle weather. The first year is OK. But the second year is dreadful. The third year.. you get the point.
Exactly what I felt like in San Diego. Why is it so hard for you to accept the fact that some people love the weather that you hate? We don't all want to be in sun drenched areas as shocking as that may be. Seattle's population wouldn't be growing, with many from CA, if everyone agreed with you. yes here on C-D you can feel like you're right...but you're not.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exactly what I felt like in San Diego. Why is it so hard for you to accept the fact that some people love the weather that you hate? We don't all want to be in sun drenched areas as shocking as that may be. Seattle's population wouldn't be growing, with many from CA, if everyone agreed with you. yes here on C-D you can feel like you're right...but you're not.
It's not about what you "like" or "hate" or "wrong" or "right"

It's about the human physiology.

The charts the other person listed about cancer rates being highest in WA are living proof of this. The human body is not designed to live with so little sunlight. It will fall apart.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,050 times
Quote:
The charts the other person listed about cancer rates being highest in WA are living proof of this. The human body is not designed to live with so little sunlight. It will fall apart.
This thread has become truly freaking ridiculous!
If I'm doomed, I better go write my last will and testament double-quick before my body falls apaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:

Why are there so many people in Northern Europe and in the Arctic even? Why does Germany, with a climate much like the PNW have one of the highest populations in Europe? Not only are they not falling apart, they seem to be doing relatively well. Your argument is flawed at best and twisted to fit what you believe at worst.

There are also lots of other factors regarding cancer such as family history, diet etc. You're seriously trying to equate weather only as the factor? Do you think we came down with the last drop of rain? At this point you're just insulting everyone's intelligence.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,312 times
Quote:
Wow, did you drop out of high school?
[b]I WAS DOING MATH NOT ENGLISH. MATH SAYS 200% IS DOUBLE. retard.
Hey, I get it. When you are heads down doing such difficult work as determining that LA is sunnier than Seattle, you can't be bothered to make your complex data readable for the masses. But, a sign of a good researcher is one that knows when to realize they were barking up the wrong tree and adjust direction. Might want to research this one a little more... Your original statement, quoted below, which Jiff was refuting, was most definitely incorrect, based on your numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert
Los Angeles gets 228.3% More Sunlight Than Seattle.
No. 228% of the amount that Seattle gets, ok. 228% more, no.

I know it's a small detail... with your sharp eye for the fine details that everybody knows, I'm sure you'll figure it out. In the meantime, keep yelling, and using ad hominem attacks. History shows it makes your argument 228% stronger.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
OP, it sounds like you should leave the state. Right away! (Whoops, need more exclamation points) Right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our bodies are all falling apart in Washington State! We're zombies!

Thank you for telling us that the skies are often cloudy here. We were keeping it a secret (psst don't tell anyone)!

We've even banned Vitamin D in the stores!

I will never understand why those who suffer from SAD don't just move and go live their lives somewhere else and why, when/if they move, they are compelled to keep coming back to try to persuade us how evil Western Washington is.

Rather than comparing the Seattle to LA, you might try comparing Seattle to London. Are there posts and articles in the UK revealing the secret that London is often overcast? Are locals accused of keeping London's weather a secret? And is London's congestion tax in place because no one wants to live there?

Would you consider it informative to go post in the Buffalo, NY forum that it snows a lot there? To post hypothermia rates? What about heat and lack of exercise in the South and include diabetes rates?

If Los Angeles is the place for you, please go to there and enjoy your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area