Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM

872 posts, read 2,034,969 times

Advertisements

But...what is May Day even about? What's the protest?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,121,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
But...what is May Day even about? What's the protest?
Look it up. It's a pagan holiday now associated with Marxism.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,849 posts, read 81,846,971 times
Supposedly, anarchist from Portland and other areas come here to take advantage of our generally peaceful marches to raise a ruckus. Last year was not a riot, just a small group of vandals and an unprepared and indecisive police force. Being prepared and making that very public can help prevent the same from happening again. There are actually two marches. The traditional one is to show support for immigration reform, the second is people against corporate America and especially the financial institutions, and they are the more likely to attract troublemakers.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,142,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Supposedly, anarchist from Portland and other areas come here to take advantage of our generally peaceful marches to raise a ruckus. Last year was not a riot, just a small group of vandals and an unprepared and indecisive police force. Being prepared and making that very public can help prevent the same from happening again. There are actually two marches. The traditional one is to show support for immigration reform, the second is people against corporate America and especially the financial institutions, and they are the more likely to attract troublemakers.
They don't just come from Portland, there are a lot of anarchist that come all the way up from Eugene, OR. If we have good weather tomarrow, they will be out in full force and according to the news on TV, the police are getting prepared for the worst. One of their favorites is to block I-5 with a protest marches, usually starting from the UW. We shall see. There is always problems of these anarchists in every political active city across the US. Seattle isn't the worst. Places like Detroit or Chicago have seen more mayhem.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,707,273 times
Let me correct a point I made about the riots in 1999. This was not a May Day riot, it was during the WTO conference in November of that year. But, the underlying point is Seattle has been a target for many of these type of events.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 AM

118 posts, read 208,841 times
Are you all really that ignorant about May Day? It has nothing to do with marxism, but everything to do with social justice. Income inequalities are at an all time high in this country with the "capitalists," those who own the means of production, making massive profits by exploiting labor. May Day is supposed to show the "capitalists" that without the cooperation of labor their ports, factories, and store fronts are worthless. When you see the people marching just remember that they are marching for the middle class and the poor, advocating for a living wage and reasonable benefits.

There might be a few radical demonstrators at the march who destroy private property, but when did private property become more valuable than life. If breaking windows at niketown can help bring attention to sweat shop labor in southeast asia then I think that is a small price to pay. The private banking system has stolen trillions of dollars from less fortunate americans and rewarded themselves with big fat bonuses. i have no problem with these patriots doing some social justice and smashing windows at wells fargo or better yet preventing them from doing business. The march for tomorrow is about so much more than a little vandalism, if you're not part of the one percent in this country then you are part of the masses being exploited. Tomorrow is an opportunity to stand in solidarity with your compatriots and show the "capitalists" that we matter.

I hope that I cleared up some misconceptions about May Day.

HAPPY MAY DAY!!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,397,007 times
You have valid points about the mess we're in because of the extreme greed of a few, ak-rev, but the anarchists aren't breaking windows at Niketown to make a point about working conditions in Asia. They just being a**holes.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,121,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
Are you all really that ignorant about May Day? It has nothing to do with marxism, but everything to do with social justice. Income inequalities are at an all time high in this country with the "capitalists," those who own the means of production, making massive profits by exploiting labor. May Day is supposed to show the "capitalists" that without the cooperation of labor their ports, factories, and store fronts are worthless. When you see the people marching just remember that they are marching for the middle class and the poor, advocating for a living wage and reasonable benefits.

There might be a few radical demonstrators at the march who destroy private property, but when did private property become more valuable than life. If breaking windows at niketown can help bring attention to sweat shop labor in southeast asia then I think that is a small price to pay. The private banking system has stolen trillions of dollars from less fortunate americans and rewarded themselves with big fat bonuses. i have no problem with these patriots doing some social justice and smashing windows at wells fargo or better yet preventing them from doing business. The march for tomorrow is about so much more than a little vandalism, if you're not part of the one percent in this country then you are part of the masses being exploited. Tomorrow is an opportunity to stand in solidarity with your compatriots and show the "capitalists" that we matter.

HAPPY MAY DAY!!!!
Lol. Despite the fact that you've more or less summed up Karl Marx's philosophy in your explanation, I can only conclude the holiday has nothing to do with Marxism.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,849 posts, read 81,846,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post

HAPPY MAY DAY!!!!
Unfortunately 99% of the "99%" are simply annoyed at their lives being disrupted by such events, when they have to spend an extra hour or more diverting to another route to work or back home, or even get sent home early without pay because the business they work at is disrupted. It does not encourage them to stand in solidarity with the 1% of the "99%" who are having a fun day marching while they are still trying to make a living to support their families.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,794,728 times
Update from the Seattle Times:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: