Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,057,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
We love West Seattle, and would have probably bought there if it wasn't for my husband's job in Everett. I love that it feels like its own small town. Some great restaurants, bars and grocery stores, it's quiet, the views can be beautiful, it's more affordable than many Seattle neighborhoods with similar housing stock, and I love all of the craftsman homes. Potential minuses: those older houses are small and of course will require a lot of upkeep, the schools aren't the greatest, and there is some crime that makes the drive from White Center/South Seattle. Oh, and the commute into Seattle is going to get terrible once the viaduct comes down...it's already pretty bad.
So how south is too far south? I've been all the way down to Arbor heights and things seem OK, but maybe the crime isn't in your face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,557,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I actually like Greenwood, too. But West Seattle just warms my heart.

Northeast Seattle has been nice, but the vibe is off for me here in Ravenna.

Hemlock140: I read that blog more than a non-WSer probably should.
My wife and I thought West Seattle reminded us a bit of SoCal, especially the beach areas south of LA. That probably sounds crazy to many. I wonder if you are sensing a little bit of that too.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
My wife and I thought West Seattle reminded us a bit of SoCal, especially the beach areas south of LA. That probably sounds crazy to many. I wonder if you are sensing a little bit of that too.
It absolutely reminds me of South Bay, and Alki is Venice-ish. But fortunately it lacks all of the negatives of Los Angeles (and the prices on the Westside!).

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,681 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
So how south is too far south? I've been all the way down to Arbor heights and things seem OK, but maybe the crime isn't in your face?
The Admiral District is the best, as you get to about Genesee you will have more car prowls, burglaries and theft but still not bad until you get closer to Edmunds. It's also better the closer you are to the water, at that point much of the crime is the southeast part.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM

176 posts, read 349,328 times
I also ideally would like to live in West Seattle some day, is getting to down town really so difficult? Do you know if the future east/west rail line will go as far as this somewhat secluded section of the city?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,891,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
I also ideally would like to live in West Seattle some day, is getting to down town really so difficult? Do you know if the future east/west rail line will go as far as this somewhat secluded section of the city?
There are ideas for the rail connections-- but until there's more $$, that's all it'll be. Just ideas.

The only real difficult part is of course the traffic, but it's also the many construction zones. Personally, I'd go for it regardless.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,532,598 times
West Seattle is amazing. We have a view of snow-capped mountains and the Puget Sound from our porch, and often watch ferries and boats go by. This area is so hilly that it is not impossible to buy a view -- they are everywhere. When I drive across West Seattle, I can view the mountains from just about any direction. Mt Ranier looks huge. We have the best cityscape view of Seattle from our beach and the overlooks. There are three massive tree-filled parks with trails. Great natural rocky beach access on one side, more traditional beach on the other. Wildlife everywhere that you can actually SEE, including seals, Orca whales, Eagles, and birds of all types (but also coyotes and raccoons). One dog park, but dog friendly for walks through town. An abundance of kid parks.

The community is strong and more like a small town in that you will run into your neighbors constantly (since West Seattle is small). Great farmer's market and festivals, bicycle clubs, nightly bonfires to roast hotdogs (more in the summer), volleyball nets on the beach in summer, soccer/football/swimming/baseball for kids, multiple karate studios, an art walk and a few art galleries, plenty of coffee shops, a very walkable and interesting downtown (California Avenue), a ferry to Vashon Island, political and social activism, several private and public school choices, two large local produce stands, natural food markets and restaurants, an excellent French bakery, lots of restaurants of all types, at least three libraries, a natural outdoor saltwater pool, several community centers with pools, an excellent outdoor outfitter, and our own community blog (westseattleblog.com). I'm currently sitting in a vegan cafe eating the best avacado cucumber sprout sandwich ever, and the space is filled with people of all ages drinking coffee, deep in conversation, or working on laptops.

Festivals -- during Seafair (a month-long or so festival celebrating boating in Seattle), the Seattle Seafair Pirates sound off canons from their pirate ships, land on the beach, through coins to the kids, and play music (lots of other things happening on the beach at the same time, too). New Year's Day, many people jump into the freezing Elliot Bay to participate in the national Polar Plunge. Christmas is absolutely crazy here, with houses decorated to the hilt. Halloween fills the downtown with munchkin goblins. Streets are closed off for West Seattle Summer Fest so that people can walk or bike, explore the booths, listen to music, etc...

Negatives to West Seattle -- as with the rest of Seattle, we have a lot of car thefts and some house break-ins. Murders and violent crimes are rare. Coyotes are killing cats. We have a couple of panhandlers that are moving in. Another problem is the cost of housing -- two years ago you could find something in the high 300's, but not anymore. Prices are moving towards 500-700's for 3BR 2200 sq ft homes north of barton and west of 35th, though the housing in general is much dumpier than found in suburbia. Lots of condos are moving in, and there is a fear about the increase in traffic (right now we have fairly light traffic compared to the rest of Seattle).

Going downtown is easy as pie. We have an upper bridge, lower streets, and bike paths that take you there. My commute has always been super easy to downtown (ie. traffic can slow down 10-15 minutes on the bridge during rush hour, but then picks up again quickly). I found traffic to be much worse just driving around Ballard and Greenwood! My husband even takes the bus and back to Redmond on a daily basis.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 04-26-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM

OK, west seattle gal, you know what you've done, right? Now I MUST MOVE THERE! :-)

How long does it take your husband to get to Redmond? That's my husband's big concern. He's also slightly concerned that he won't eat as well as in the Northeast, so it's good that you threw the vegan thing in there. Are there lots of veg-friendly eateries?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,336,009 times
West Seattle is so big, though. What part do you guys consider West Seattle? The Junction? Delridge? Alki?

Alki's pretty nice, but always cold. I personally think anything northeast of the Junction is ugly and industrial. Or am I thinking of the wrong part?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

176 posts, read 349,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
West Seattle is so big, though. What part do you guys consider West Seattle? The Junction? Delridge? Alki?

Alki's pretty nice, but always cold. I personally think anything northeast of the Junction is ugly and industrial. Or am I thinking of the wrong part?
Alki beach always seemed like a nice area to quietly observe the Sound though. Also thank you WestSeattleGal im happy to know getting into downtown isn't difficult via bike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area