Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 8,079 times

Advertisements

New job in Seattle beginning December 10th - just found out last week. Moving from San Diego, but we are Oregonians so we're down with the weather. Company is Certainteed, located on E. Marginal Way. Selling house here and should net sizable equity. Early 50's, no kids, two dogs, and wife is an elementary teacher. Looking for a quiet neighborhood with friendly people and a house with gardening space. 2-3 bdrm's would be great, as well as a garage. Shifts are 12 hours so I really don't want to spend an hour on the road going home or getting to work. From posts on here and elsewhere, it seems we may want to look at North Seattle or the Eastside, like in Bellevue. I'm going to need to stay in an executive -stay apartment or something like that while my wife continues to work in SD and handles the house sale. Would love additional suggestions about where to look for housing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
If you don't want a long commute, the Eastside and North Seattle are probably not the best locations. What about West Seattle?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
West Seattle has a very California vibe, but still so many great and uniquely Seattlish things, too. I second it! It's so beautiful over there. Looks like a decent commute, as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM

Thank you angelenogirl and SeacoveWe were told to try and avoid crossing water as part of the daily commute if at all possible - chuckle, chuckle, considering how much water runs around/through Seattle. That's like telling somebody who moves to SoCal to try and avoid the freeways as part of their commute! From looking at the map, it appears that to get to work the Mr., this is now the Mrs. talking , he'll have to take the 509 across or the West Seattle bridge. Neighborhoods to focus on (or not) during our search? Not looking for a California vibe 'cause we've had it with CA. We are definitely PNW kids and are really anxious to get back to gray skies and water!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I'd suggest not ruling out South Seattle just because there are some bad neighborhoods in South Seattle, because there are also some great neighborhoods there. The commute to Marginal Way would be a breeze. Schools aren't good, but that won't be your concern. Seward Park is a fabulous neighborhood in S. Seattle, and the park is a great place to take the dogs. Nearby Gennesee Park has an off leash dog park, and nearby is the fun and vibrant Columbia City neighborhood, which has the Columbia City bakery( too good).
Parts of nearby Mt. Baker are also very nice, with Lake Washington views.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1723 View Post
Thank you angelenogirl and SeacoveWe were told to try and avoid crossing water as part of the daily commute if at all possible - chuckle, chuckle, considering how much water runs around/through Seattle. That's like telling somebody who moves to SoCal to try and avoid the freeways as part of their commute! From looking at the map, it appears that to get to work the Mr., this is now the Mrs. talking , he'll have to take the 509 across or the West Seattle bridge. Neighborhoods to focus on (or not) during our search? Not looking for a California vibe 'cause we've had it with CA. We are definitely PNW kids and are really anxious to get back to gray skies and water!
I am such a Seattle newbie you probably shouldn't even listen to me, but before I came everyone told me that West Seattle was the most "beachy," and I definitely felt that there. That said, it was a different kind of beachy - namely, cold and grey.

The thing I like about most of the West Seattle neighborhoods is that they were very affordable, especially for stunning water views. But it is like its own little world over there. I bet Seacove could speak to specific neighborhoods better. I liked just about all of them!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM

From Certainteed's East Marginal Way location, getting to West Seattle would be a breeze. The 1st Ave S. Bridge(509) is so close, and doesn't back up nearly as bad as the West Seattle Bridge. Some convenient and nice West Seattle neighborhoods would include Fauntleroy/Lincoln Park and Seaview.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM

@Ira500, thank you for your input, but I'd have to disagree with the statement "schools aren't good, but that won't be your concern". I am not a realtor, but as an educator and a current home owner, I know that buying in an area with good schools can be very important for resale and a smart buyer will be thinking of that day in the future when they will want/need to sell their home. If the schools are poor, a large group of potential buyers will never consider buying your home. In addition, as a teacher who will need to find work once we move, it would be nice to live in/near a good school district. I have found some listings in WS that look promising and thank all of you for your advice!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:34 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
@Ira500, thank you for your input, but I'd have to disagree with the statement "schools aren't good, but that won't be your concern". I am not a realtor, but as an educator and a current home owner, I know that buying in an area with good schools can be very important for resale and a smart buyer will be thinking of that day in the future when they will want/need to sell their home. If the schools are poor, a large group of potential buyers will never consider buying your home. In addition, as a teacher who will need to find work once we move, it would be nice to live in/near a good school district. I have found some listings in WS that look promising and thank all of you for your advice!
IRA knows that, he meant since there's no kids needing to be educated, that good schools won't be a concern.

I'm surprised there's no mention of Beacon Hill... most of the schools may be bad, but the neighborhood is primed to be the next trendy place. Got great bones, charming houses, good blend of racial diversity, easy access to DT (and LR to airport) and is still (relatively) affordable. Very easy to get to your work, OP.

P.S. I've also mentioned before West Seattle as being very Californian in feel... only to be slammed by a lot people about it. So I'll say this: It is, but it's really not. You'll get it when you visit.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
You're mostly right about schools and resale value, but Seward Park and the nice parts of Mt. Baker and Leschi and Madrona are longtime exceptions to this rule. People who would consider buying in those areas either don't have kids or are prepared to send their kids to private schools or know how to navigate the system in Seattle to get their child into a better Seattle public school. Houses in those areas sell quickly and for a lot of money.They've held their value as much as anyplace in Seattle with better schools or the Eastside.
But if you're only interested in living in school districts that are highly thought of, a lot of people would suggest skipping Seattle altogether. It's a rather troubled school district as a whole, seemingly jumping from one crisis to another. Yes, there are some excellent schools within the Seattle school district(my kids survived the Seattle Public schools), but there's always a lot of politics and strife or scandal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area