Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,280,626 times

Advertisements

I see signs of the singularity all the time! He he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,487,893 times
More are coming!

This is why I am exited about Transcendence coming out in April as we will have this in 30 years.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM

To up load a brain in a computer it will be necessary to reverse engineer it so we can full understand how the brain works. We are making advancements at a exponential rate and it should be done around 2020 maybe as soon as 2019. I saw this about what they have just accomplished. This video is amazing and beautiful.

This is from SPLOID:

University of California researchers have created a system that shows how the brain works in real time, allowing users to navigate right inside their own heads and see their neuronal activity firing in three dimensions, showing "real-time source-localized activity from electroencephalographic signals."

The link: Scientists create system that shows your brain activity in 3D

Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,179,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Looks like a very interesting book has just been released, by Michio Kaku - the co-founder of string theory. The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind: Michio Kaku: 9780385530828: Amazon.com: Books
I'm about halfway through this ...... it's written for nontechnical readers, and is mindblowing (literally). There are all kinds of incredible advances in the science of the mind like the one you just posted, Jossepie.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM

One of the issues we will face as we get closer to the singularity is the loss of jobs due to technological unemployment. There was two articles on it that I found very interesting.

The first is what Bill gates thinks about the growing issue:

Big changes are coming to the labor market that people and governments aren't prepared for, Bill Gates believes.
Speaking at Washington, D.C., economic think tank The American Enterprise Institute on Thursday, Gates said that within 20 years, a lot of jobs will go away, replaced by software automation ("bots" in tech slang, though Gates used the term "software substitution").

Read more: Bill Gates: Bots Are Taking Away Jobs - Business Insider

Second is some possible ways we can deal with the growing problem. I really like the ideas but wonder how we would implement them.

The Labor Transition: Shall we prepare for an “end of work”?

The link: The Labor Transition: Shall we prepare for an “end of work”?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:04 PM

I ran across this company working on age related diseases so I thought I would post it. Companies like this is why we will have reverse aging by the early to mid 2020's.

At SENS Research Foundation, we believe that a world free of age-related disease is possible. That's why we're funding work at universities across the world and at our own Research Center in Mountain View, CA.

Our research emphasizes the application of regenerative medicine to age-related disease, with the intent of repairing underlying damage to the body's tissues, cells, and molecules. Our goal is to help build the industry that will cure the diseases of aging.

SRF is, at its core, a research-focused outreach organization. Our outreach efforts include the biennial SENS conferences at Cambridge, summits, speaking engagements, and general advocacy. We strive to inform policymakers and the public at large about the promise of the damage-repair approach to treating age-related disease.

Finally, SRF engages in educational work through our student program, SRF Education. SRF Education operates a summer internship program that places students at the SRF Research Center and outside institutions; provides students with guidance, mentorship, and materials grants for SENS-related research projects; and is developing online coursework.

SRF Home | SENS Research Foundation

Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,607,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
More are coming!

This is why I am exited about Transcendence coming out in April as we will have this in 30 years.

I doubt the film will present the situation in a positive light based on the trailer.

Anyway, did you see the film Her? That also tackles the subject in a more subtle and positive manner.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I doubt the film will present the situation in a positive light based on the trailer.
Its a movie so it will need to have a story line exciting to get people to go see. I expect that but the fact a Hollywood company produced it with major stars means the singularity is now mainstream. At least in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Anyway, did you see the film Her? That also tackles the subject in a more subtle and positive manner.
I did very good but even it was not perfect. Here is what Ray Kurzweil says about it and I agree with him.

Spoiler alert:

A review of Her by Ray Kurzweil | KurzweilAI

This is a great interview so I thought I would post it here.

William Hertling on Singularity 1 on 1: The Singularity is closer than it appears!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
OK, they told me that everything doubles every 18 months. I was pretty skeptical about that. But, now, I saw on TV last night that air fresheners now keep my car smelling good for 30 days, they can put Fritoes in my sub sandwich, and I can get an insurance quite in 7-1/2 minutes. I'd never have thought any of that could ever be possible, just 18 months ago. I'm convinced.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 PM

Its actually less then 18 months now. I have heard its down to 6 months but I think that is a little optimistic. I think its more like 12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology