Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Savannah TV news station do you watch?
WTOC TV 11 The News 4 36.36%
WSAV TV News 3 6 54.55%
WJCL ABC 22 / WTGS Fox 28 The Coastal Source 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Savannah's notoriously BAD local TV news stations have gotten surprisingly competitive within the past year -- at least this is my observation. While WTOC hasn't changed a thing (anchors, set, theme music, graphics) in two decades, both WSAV and WJCL -- longtime doormats both -- have in recent months ramped up their presentations, rather aggressively. WJCL was the first local station to go to high def newscasts and has a large on-line presence, while WSAV last month added a 5:30 p.m. newscast that's kicking butt.

I've always rooted for the underdog in any competition, but when it comes to Savannah TV news I'd say both News 3 and ABC 22/Fox 28 are finally giving Big Red Eleven viewers a reason to switch channels. (And though I can't be certain, I have a feeling WTOC may be losing its core audience to the graveyard.)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I've been watching WSAV for a number of years now. I will not watch WTOC or knowingly support any of its advertisers because of that self-righteous freak Cathcart who feels it's necessary to express his personal opinion after the news broadcast.

SAV is not great, but compared with the others it's the least irritating local news source.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I've been watching WSAV for a number of years now. I will not watch WTOC or knowingly support any of its advertisers because of that self-righteous freak Cathcart who feels it's necessary to express his personal opinion after the news broadcast.

SAV is not great, but compared with the others it's the least irritating local news source.

Bill Cathcart gives me the creeps ~~ talk about your angry Republicans. And why won't somebody iron the wrinkles out of the backdrop on the WTOC news set? Look closely ... right over Sonny Dixon's right shoulder. Drives me INSANE!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I've been watching WTOC because I like CBS. I absolutely hate FOX, their broadcasting is so "childish" and filled with too much entertainment-type news. Who cares if LiLo is going to jail? I hear enough about it without seeing it on my morning local news!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
Yeah we have the worst local TV stations for news.

I like NBC generally except for when the 12 year old weatherman "Josh" (as my gf likes to call him comes on) I can't stand WTOC.they can't speak English at all, especially the weather guys. And they all make the stupidest comments. With the turtle story a few days ago, they mentioned that they were tracking the turtles one of the women anchors then says.."well they better be on their best behavior then." Huh? WTF.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Yeah we have the worst local TV stations for news.

I like NBC generally except for when the 12 year old weatherman "Josh" (as my gf likes to call him comes on) I can't stand WTOC.they can't speak English at all, especially the weather guys. And they all make the stupidest comments. With the turtle story a few days ago, they mentioned that they were tracking the turtles one of the women anchors then says.."well they better be on their best behavior then." Huh? WTF.
HAD to be Sonny Dixon who said that. As a person, Sonny is probably OK. As a news anchor, he's HORRIBLE. But still better than Doug Weathers (RIP).

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

I watch WTOC because it comes on at 5:00. That's the only reason. I enjoy switching stations everytime that Cathcart comes on. Does he ever change expressions? I'd rather watch a commercial for used kitty litter than watch him expess the same old, same old opinions. I think he must own part of the station, othewise, why do they let him talk?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
The 5:00 news can be convenient. Once in a blue moon I'll catch it. Usually it's because someone else is watching.

Recently, by accident, I found myself tuned into WJCL and was confronted by an unfortunately unattractive female anchorwoman's face looking out of the TV. I'm all for not discriminating against people because of their looks, but it was quite shocking to see it in practice. Wow. Kudos, I guess.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
bwahahahahaha

Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
LOL Very funny, Ellie.
As for Bill Cathcart, yes, he owns the station. It's unfortunate. The BIG red 11 is certainly RED for sure and I don't watch it. Keep your far right wing conservative opinions to yourself old man! If you notice, most of their news stories have to do with nonsense crap from out of the state or even country. If a dog died in Pakistan, best believe you'll hear about it on WTOC. Gahh...

My station of choice is WSAV. While certainly not the best, at least they have news that is local. One con of WSAV; Tina Tyus Shaw can't ever read the teleprompter correctly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area