Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Savannah TV news station do you watch?
WTOC TV 11 The News 4 36.36%
WSAV TV News 3 6 54.55%
WJCL ABC 22 / WTGS Fox 28 The Coastal Source 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,942,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
LOL Very funny, Ellie.
As for Bill Cathcart, yes, he owns the station. It's unfortunate. The BIG red 11 is certainly RED for sure and I don't watch it. Keep your far right wing conservative opinions to yourself old man! If you notice, most of their news stories have to do with nonsense crap from out of the state or even country. If a dog died in Pakistan, best believe you'll hear about it on WTOC. Gahh...

My station of choice is WSAV. While certainly not the best, at least they have news that is local. One con of WSAV; Tina Tyus Shaw can't ever read the teleprompter correctly!
Well, she's a whole lot better than she used to be. Still, when she stumbles (which she often does) you can just see Russ's face turning red. He's probably the best anchor in Savannah, IMO.

As for WTOC, it just offends me that they intentionally "dumb down" the news (for viewers in Vidalia, Sylvania, etc.). I mean, is it really necessary to start every newscasts / story with "Howdy yall, here's what's happening!" or something? If those aren't the exact words, it's the effect. "Pull yerself up a chair on th' porch and we'uns is gonna give u da gossip!" And lord have mercy when Sonny Dixon goes off script and starts ad libbing about "the fine folks out there in Brooklet" or how much fun the collard green festival was, I just want to scream. Imagine how the New York or European tourists must react accidently seeing this stuff from the comfort of their hotel rooms? How embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM

608 posts, read 1,347,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, she's a whole lot better than she used to be. Still, when she stumbles (which she often does) you can just see Russ's face turning red. He's probably the best anchor in Savannah, IMO.

As for WTOC, it just offends me that they intentionally "dumb down" the news (for viewers in Vidalia, Sylvania, etc.). I mean, is it really necessary to start every newscasts / story with "Howdy yall, here's what's happening!" or something? If those aren't the exact words, it's the effect. "Pull yerself up a chair on th' porch and we'uns is gonna give u da gossip!" And lord have mercy when Sonny Dixon goes off script and starts ad libbing about "the fine folks out there in Brooklet" or how much fun the collard green festival was, I just want to scream. Imagine how the New York or European tourists must react accidently seeing this stuff from the comfort of their hotel rooms? How embarrassing.
I love when he gets all excited about the rattlesnake round up and parade.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,980,326 times
LMAO. This stuff is hilarious guys! Too bad it's all too true!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
This caused me to start watching WSAV at 5:30 instead of WTOC at 5:00. Habits are hard to break, but I am glad we broke this one. It's an improvement. I swear, I think WTOC tries to see how many commericials they can get by with. I know it pays their bills, but enough is enough!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,942,117 times
WSAV News 3 just keeps getting better! They are still the only news outlet in town (including the Morning News) to report on D.A. Larry Chisolm being accused of sexual discrimination -- BY ANOTHER MAN!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,850 times
Wait there's a rattlesnake roundup and collard green festival around here? Finally something worth doing.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 PM

11,397 posts, read 24,468,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Recently, by accident, I found myself tuned into WJCL and was confronted by an unfortunately unattractive female anchorwoman's face looking out of the TV. I'm all for not discriminating against people because of their looks, but it was quite shocking to see it in practice. Wow. Kudos, I guess.

Maybe the WJCL people are reading our posts? I had the TV on their channel and they've added an attractive young blonde woman to do the news. LOL She was standing there delivering the news in a lilting up-tone with her hip cocked to the side like she was trying to be sexy.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:49 PM

235 posts, read 344,836 times
I saw that WTOC is finally upgrading to HD which involves building a new set, so for the next couple of weeks they are doing the news from a makeshift set in the newsroom. Funny thing is -- on the wall in the background behind them are TV monitors tuned to the competition -- showing the news from WSAV and WJCL!!! Those people at WTOC are IDIOTS pure and thru. LOL

Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,980,326 times
Remember when there was a show about WJCL being the worst rated news program in the nation? (Or at least among the worst) It showed that they were also tuned in to the competition. I suppose it's to see who got what story first, etc.. They have their reasons. I don't think it's as stupid as it might seem.

(Although on the other hand, I CERTAINLY wouldn't show the viewers this while actually doing the news. THAT part is stupid)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 PM

235 posts, read 344,836 times
Well that's the stupid part I was talking about. While good ol' Sonny was giving us the news on WTOC, right above his shoulder plain as day you could watch the folks at WJCL doing the news at the same time. Two for the price of one! Dumb dumb dumb! I mean sure, even the newspaper has banks of TVs in the newsroom tuned to local stations, CNN, Fox, etc 24/7 ... but they don't take a picture of 'em and put it on the front page!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area