Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,580 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are excited to be spending several weeks in your beautiful city of Savannah. Could you please give us some tips and ideas of where "locals" like to go to eat? We are staying in a condo on Bay St., but we are definitely willing to travel for a good meal. WE enjoy fine dining, but really prefer more casual, comfy, out of the way local places, even "dives" where the food, not the atmosphere and wine list, are the stars. We're not too picky and we love everything--steaks,seafood, Greek,Thai, Mexican,Southern,etc., etc. Any and all suggestions and help is sincerely appreciated. Can't wait for some great meals and experiences in Savannah!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Love's Seafood (get the Scored Flounder), Leoci's for Italian, Churchhill's for British, B&D Burgers, Sweet Melissa's for pizza. There's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on Bay, so you can't beat that for a steakhouse. Papillote is good for lunch...you can even get a sack lunch there to take to one of the squares.
Since you will be on Bay St., you can eat every day at a different little restaurant within a half mile radius and still you will not have hit them all. You will find that the best people watching spots do not offer the best food, so it's a trade off. There are many restaurants on River St and at City Market which offer the fun of being in the thick of things, but the food is usually just ordinary.
We have not dined at the top rated expensive places (The Pink House, Elizabeth's, etc), so you're on your own there.
Do not let anyone convince you to go to the Crab Shack on Tybee.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
I'd like to add: B.Matthews

Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,833 times
you have to try spanky's on mall blvd just once, pearls elegant pelican, love's, sundae cafe on tybee, and ma fave....jazz'd tapas bar. oh and jalapeno's is a great mexican rest here with the fastest service in the world and a very friendly and fun place to dine (in sandfly, of course)

Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
you have to try spanky's on mall blvd just once, pearls elegant pelican, love's, sundae cafe on tybee, and ma fave....jazz'd tapas bar. oh and jalapeno's is a great mexican rest here with the fastest service in the world and a very friendly and fun place to dine (in sandfly, of course)
Speaking of Mexican food, Cilantros, which is on Bay St. and Carlito's on MLK are really good, too.

Blowing Smoke, also on MLK, is owned by the same guy who owns B. Matthews. An old favorite, 606 E. Cafe, just reopened near City Market at the corner of Congress, and MLK (guess I'm on a roll for that street). It's inexpensive and fun.

Garibaldi's is another excellent restaurant on Congress that people sometimes forget about. It's probably about as expensive as the Pink House (they may be owned by the same people) but it's not as touristy. You should call for reservations.

Saigon on Broughton St. has an extensive Thai/Vietnamese menu. Circa, around the corner from there on Whitaker St. is a nice wine bar with an adjacent restaurant. It looks too pretty to cater to locals, but you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Any place away from the river will have a higher proportion of locals to tourists with the exception of what's her name's. You won't go to hell for trying it, but I only recommend doing so so you'll have a point of reference. That being said, Moon River Brewery is a good place to try local beer. It is probably patronized more by tourists than by locals due to its location on Bay, but its eclectic menu will pretty much guarantee you'll find something you like. It has a haunted attic so ghost tours come through frequently. Likewise, Vics on the River and Olympia Cafe lean more towards the tourist crowd, but they're both good enough for locals and locally owned. Rocks on the Roof has become one of the more hip places to have a drink, eat, and listen to music. You can enter on Bay or River St. Tubby's on the River has good fried seafood. Its "locally preferred" location is out in Thunderbolt, but the menu is the same.

Don't forget to try Mrs. Wilkes (Southern food) on W. Jones for lunch, or the Crystal Beer Parlor, which is also on Jones, but sort of around the corner and down a few blocks. It's best known for its hamburgers and well-preserved interior, but the the menu is quite solid. They're both classic local Savannah favorites.

Oh, and make reservations for dinner in the big circular dining room at Johnny Harris' Barbecue out on Victory Dr., if you can. It dates back to the 1930's prohibition era when each patron knew to be on the lookout for the police approaching. It's still one of the best barbecue places anywhere.

Last edited by ellie; 12-02-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM

9 posts, read 19,590 times
I like Jazz'd and A Vidas - both downtown.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Clary's on Abercorn.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 PM

This might sound crazy but for a very clean, econominal lunch with accomodating service I have been using the SCAD diner on Habersham. Have not been to the other one. Man, do they keep that place clean!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,580 times
Default Thanks everyone!!

WOW!! Thanks Y'all for all the tips!!It looks like hubby and I are going to be busy trying out all the recommendations and having a lot of great meals during our stay! Can't wait to get to your beautiful city! I'll let y'all know our favorites.THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!! Maybe we'll see you there?!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classy122 View Post
WOW!! Thanks Y'all for all the tips!!It looks like hubby and I are going to be busy trying out all the recommendations and having a lot of great meals during our stay! Can't wait to get to your beautiful city! I'll let y'all know our favorites.THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!! Maybe we'll see you there?!
You buying we going!

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area