Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times

Advertisements

I keep reading over and over that the best place to go for singles that are retired is Sarasota, but where are they? Seems like Sarasota itself is not loaded with singles. Are they in Bradenton? Or some zip code in Sarasota I haven't discovered?
Of course, I know Venice has lots of older folks in their 70's it seems, and there may be a number of single retirees there.
Where are these single retirees in the Sarasota area living? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I don't know that there is any way TO tell how many single seniors vs married seniors are actually living in a retirement community--since that would be the easiest way to tell where they are vs living in general neighborhoods...

Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM

175 posts, read 437,940 times
Try Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda. Many of the churchs and cultural center orgainize activities for senior singles. Not to far from you
Best of luck.
PS the cultural center has a website if you search "cultural center port charlotte

Old 04-02-2010, 11:13 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I keep reading over and over that the best place to go for singles that are retired is Sarasota, but where are they? Seems like Sarasota itself is not loaded with singles. Are they in Bradenton? Or some zip code in Sarasota I haven't discovered?
Of course, I know Venice has lots of older folks in their 70's it seems, and there may be a number of single retirees there.
Where are these single retirees in the Sarasota area living? Anyone know?
They are all over SRQ, you just gotta poke around!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM

132 posts, read 325,190 times
Try www.meetup.com and enter Sarasota or a zip code in this area.

In Sarasota there are about 130 groups of various interets that get together - no doubt some of these groups are single and retired. Worth checking out.

Joe

Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM

When you look at the demographics, Sarasota is primarily younger folks with not unusually high retiree numbers; however, the p.r. for Sarasota keeps saying what a "wonderful" city for retired people are. Hmmmm.......pretty sad when you can't find the retirees living there.

Maybe Sarasota just has a really strong p.r. firm for their city?

You guys are telling me the same thing that I am finding: go South, old lady, go South. Seems South of Sarasota is where all the retirees are--and not Sarasota itself. Does that sound about right?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Im guessing they are in Sarasota, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were all in Bradenton..this place is LOADED! : )

Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM

385 posts, read 1,158,828 times
I think your approaching this the wrong way. You need to go out and get yourself involved in some groups and organizations. You sound like one of my husbands buddies "where are all the hot single girls in Sarasota?" Why they are single and out and about no doubt busying themselves in activities to meet other singles! Your probably not going to find very many of them walking around neighborhoods.

Someone mentioned meetup.com, and Lady is very active and social in town. You need to get out and about!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm not there yet. I am looking for an area where some retired singles might be so I might purchase a condo there in Sarasota.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
I recently spent a month primarily in the downtown area, and there are PLENTY of retirees there. As a retiree, I've looked into things like Meetup groups as mentioned above, and various volunteer activities, and there are lots of things to get involved in where there are going to be retirees - both single & coupled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area