Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 55,175 times

Advertisements

We're in our mid-sixties and want to buy somewhere within a 30-minute drive of Sarasota. We've only spent a little time in the area and are looking for some suggestions on where to live.

We like a quiet neighborhood and houses that aren't right on top of each other. We currently live in a rural area and travel about 15 minutes to get to shopping, restaurants, etc. which is fine by us. We don't need a lot of nightlife and have no school or employment requirements.

We have 4 small dogs, a RoadTrek (20' motorhome that's also used as our car) and my husband wants to use the garage as a workshop (for making furniture for our home, not for parking our vehicles).

With these criteria it seems we don't fit most HOAs. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
You may want to look in North Port. Most of the area is non-deed restricted and you can park a motor home. North Port is in the southern part of Sarasota County and is convenient to shopping, the Port Charlotte mall, restaurants, medical facilities and more. It is also 20 minutes to the Gulf beaches in Englewood or Venice. The average square foot of the lots in North Port are 10,000 sq ft, but there are double lots and larger corner lots as well if you are looking for room. North Port has a lot of newer homes built in the 2000's. You didn't say what your price range is and other criteria for a home. But there are a lot of options in North Port. There is also North Port Estates which has one acre and above sized lots. Most are 3-5 acres.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
I also thought North Port.. although you should also check out the areas east of I-75 in Sarasota, around Clark Rd. It gets rural pretty quick! I absolutely love driving out that way- very peaceful. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM

We had checked out North Port and found some great places but it's 45 minutes to an hour to Sarasota. Unfortunately we need to be close to Sarasota Memorial Hospital (within 30 minutes) as my husband has a heart condition and they're rated very highly for that type of procedure.

Last edited by happy-accidents; 04-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy-accidents View Post
We had checked out North Port and found some great places but it's 45 minutes to an hour to Sarasota. Unfortunately we need to be close to Sarasota Memorial Hospital (within 30 minutes) as my husband has a heart condition and they're rated very highly for that type of procedure.
Peace River Regional in Port Charlotte just opened a new heart center. Peace River Heart Institute - 10 minutes from North Port.
https://www.peaceriverregional.com/S...x/Default.aspx

Distance to Sarasota: 30 minutes from North Port to Clark Rd, 35 minutes to Bee Ridge, 45 minutes to Fruitville Rd - depending where you want to go in Sarasota and where you live in North Port.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
What price range are you looking to stay within? There are a number of neighborhoods within the Sarasota area with larger lots and no deed restrictions, which means property standards will be under county code ordinances. There are also some neighborhoods with older HOAs that may fit your criteria.

Sarasota Memorial has an excellent cardiology program, both my husband and a brother-in-law are walking examples of their fine work and success rates.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
What price range are you looking to stay within? There are a number of neighborhoods within the Sarasota area with larger lots and no deed restrictions, which means property standards will be under county code ordinances. There are also some neighborhoods with older HOAs that may fit your criteria.

Sarasota Memorial has an excellent cardiology program, both my husband and a brother-in-law are walking examples of their fine work and success rates.
We're looking in the under $150k range because this will be just be our winter house. Obviously, that limits us as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Peace River Regional in Port Charlotte just opened a new heart center. Peace River Heart Institute - 10 minutes from North Port.
https://www.peaceriverregional.com/S...x/Default.aspx

Distance to Sarasota: 30 minutes from North Port to Clark Rd, 35 minutes to Bee Ridge, 45 minutes to Fruitville Rd - depending where you want to go in Sarasota and where you live in North Port.
I've been using Google Maps to get driving time. I enter the exact location of the house, then I "Get Directions" which gives me an average drive time as well as the estimated time based on current conditions. I haven't been able to find anything in North Port that's less than 40 (and mostly 50-60) minutes away, even longer during certain drive times. Based on that, I've pretty much had to cross North Port off our list although we've found some amazingly good buys that meet our other needs.

Last edited by happy-accidents; 04-04-2012 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Again, it all depends on where you are going to and from. My step-daughter drove for 3 years from North Port, Toledo Blade exit to Clark and Beneva to work and it took her 30-35 minutes. We have a niece that lives off of Bee Ridge and going from Port Charlotte Kings Highway Exit it takes us 35 minutes to get to her house in Sarasota. So, I am not sure where you are looking to go in Sarasota.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
In your price range, here are some neighborhoods that do not have deed restrictions (for your motorhome) and have more spacious lots compared to newer home neighborhoods. These are mainly in the 8000 to 12,000 sq ft lots, corner lots typically being the largest.

North to South:

Whitfield area - Woods of Whitfield, Whitfield Country Club Heights (zip 34243)

Desoto Lakes (zip 34235)

Georgetowne (34232) and Glen Oaks (34232) both are older deed restricted communities so the deed restrictions are not as intrusive as newer communities, would have to check on the motorhome restrictions

Forest Lakes Country Club (34239) - sounds deed restricty but it's not

Ridgewood, Brentwood, Sarasota Springs & Ridgewood Estates (Colonial Gables) - all zip 34232 Some of these have double lots, they pop up now and then.

Lake Sarasota (34241)

South Gate Ridge (34233)

South Gate area (34239) - South Gate itself has deed restrictions but they are very basic, HOA is voluntary

Morning Glory Ridge (34231)

Bahama Heights (34231)

Sun Haven (34231)

There are others that I can't think of at this moment, but this will get you started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area