Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM

182 posts, read 1,001,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I start in the beginning of March. Every time I go to Sam's I buy 1 extra case of bottled water & at least 1 non-perishable food item for the Hurricane Supply. By the time hurricane season rolls around I have plenty of water, crackers, pb&j, snack sized puddings & fruits, canned meats,soups, etc. I also make sure to have about a dozen cans of Sterno and en equal amount of citronella candles. I like the Chunky soups because you don't have to add any water.

I always make sure to have an unopened bag of both dog food & cat food plus 2 bags of charcoal briquettes that I store in containers. We have a generator and I try to keep a minimum of 4 gas cans full. We also have a 2000 watt power inverter that works off your car battery. In addition to the citronella candles we have 4 coleman rechargeable lanterns. 6 cans of Deep Woods Off, a first aid kit, a cash stash, a 6 pack of lighters, an extra charger for the cell phone, and lots of paper plates/plastic forks, etc.

If we don't have to use the food items they become just food after Halloween and I get new for the following year.

We lived in North Port during the hurricane season of 2004. We sat in the house with our pets during Charley, Frances, and Jeannie. We got lucky with Charley, the next town south of us got hammered. We had what FEMA calls "vegetation failure", which means I had a chainsaw in my hand for over a week. What got me was that our grocery store was the nearest one to Port Charlotte that did not take any damage, and the Red Cross wiped out the non-perishables as soon as they came in. For many weeks there was no bread, cookies, hot dogs & lunch meats, etc. on the shelves. Also paper products were in short supply. We did not begrudge the people who needed that stuff in the least, but I was glad I had some on hand. We ate a lot of TV dinners that month, because we could.
Thanks for your additions to the list.
I'm laughing now but hurricanes aren't a laughing matter. I am laughing because of no cookies.
I'll be sure to throw a package of Oreos in my freezer when I shop this week.
I mean, who can live without cookies?
Thanks and I am trying to make light of very serious weather condition that can and might happen here.
Let's hope and pray it doesn't but we also need to be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
This year the "tax free" purchase week or two did not occur. It is usually offered at the beginning of hurricane season which starts June 1st.
Thanks for letting us know Ladywithafan. I hadn't heard what I know I usually hear so I'm glad someone was paying attention.
Pssst, don't forget to get cookies!!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basa9159 View Post
....Also HO/Car insurance papers.
Yet another good point. Thanks for your input. I'm sure our new neighbors will appreciate this list.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,246,018 times
Default Great Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post
Do they still offer the tax free for hurricane supplies sometime during the season?
I know I've heard it but can't remember when that takes place.
That would be a good time to buy a generator.

Your not supposed to throw the food out Keeper, you're supposed to start the grill and invite the neighbors.

I'm pleased that you like my thread.
This is a great thread. I appreciate all the information from veterans of the area. I am copying/pasting and on the next visit to Sarasota in a few weeks I will be sure to get better prepared.

Best,
smiledoc1

Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
This is a great thread. I appreciate all the information from veterans of the area. I am copying/pasting and on the next visit to Sarasota in a few weeks I will be sure to get better prepared.

Best,
smiledoc1
Glad to help. I was sure new comers and visitors a like could benefit from this thread.
It's also helping me to remember some things I might forget about.

If I say this 100 times, I've still not said it enough!!

Please be safe and check on your neighbors, especially if they are elderly.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,737,078 times
Arrow Safety First!!

This is a great thread to have on Bradenton-Sarasota-Venice sub-forum! If this area where to get struck (hoping it doesn't) we need to be prepared!!

You have to be ready for any storm!! Preparation is #1 when it comes to hurricanes, because if your not prepared when a storm hits, your SOL!!

RECOMMENDATIONS: For great tips on preparation, etc. for the Suncoast, I recommend that you all pick up a copy of the ABC 7 2008 Hurricane Guide at Walgreens! It has great information from Supplies to Shelters and what to do for pets if you have to evacuate and it's all for Suncoast area.

Another great thing to do is go to Welcome to FloridaDisaster.org. This is the place where you can make a Family Disaster Plan. It works, believe me.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM

102 posts, read 461,049 times

Please be prepared folks!!!!

I've been through Charley, and this is not something you want to wait till the last thing to prepare for !!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,737,078 times
Everybody should be preparing- possibility of Fay hitting the West Coast!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
lilaclady,
Good thread!
I tried to give you a rep point, but couldn't so you get an ATTA-GIRL instead!

Last I heard Fay was supposed to breakdown and become more of a tropical storm. But, just heard that it may stay a hurricane! I am coming down next week for a visit. I hope I don't need to bring more than my suit case with me. I brought a ton of relief supplies down to NO after Katrina and Rita hit.

Good Thread. ATTA-GIRL!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM

102 posts, read 461,049 times
BH,

With Fay coming over very warm waters in the gulf, we can only hope for a minimal storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area