Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 05:08 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I was at LabCorp in Venice today to get tests done.

They had signs all over that said masks are required.

However the 2 employees working there weren't wearing masks. About half of the people coming there for tests were wearing masks.

You'd think in a medical facility (where they have signs plastered all over that masks are required) - at the least the employees would abide by their own rules.

I asked the technician that drew my blood why he wasn't wearing a mask - and he kind of laughed and said he's been vaccinated so he didn't think he needed one.

When a technician draws your blood - they're pretty close - within a few feet. And he's been doing that all day with numerous other people that might be infected.
Yea it’s crazy, in fact the employees should be wearing 5 masks each if you ask me. How dare those employees don’t live in fear. The audacity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 09:26 AM

8,018 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Yea it’s crazy, in fact the employees should be wearing 5 masks each if you ask me. How dare those employees don’t live in fear. The audacity!
They have their rules posted on the wall at several places. It was a clear violation of their policy. And it's not about how THEY feel about living in fear - it's for the CUSTOMERS that expect to feel safe in a medical facility. I imagine some of the people that go there for medical testing have health conditions, co-morbities, immunocompromised, etc....

Last edited by wondermint2; 07-14-2022 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-14-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
They have their rules posted on the wall at several places. It was a clear violation of their policy. And it's not about how THEY feel about living in fear - it's for the CUSTOMERS that expect to feel safe in a medical facility.
Agree. They should be following the rules and making sure every sharp corner is bubble wrapped in the faculty for the customers.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Troll
Nothing personal

Old 07-14-2022, 01:41 PM

402 posts, read 260,777 times
Quote:
They have their rules posted on the wall at several places. It was a clear violation of their policy. And it's not about how THEY feel about living in fear - it's for the CUSTOMERS that expect to feel safe in a medical facility. I imagine some of the people that go there for medical testing have health conditions, co-morbities, immunocompromised, etc....
I normally do not agree with you, as you know. In this instance I do. Those seeking medical testing should be able to feel secure. Some may be paranoid. Some may be justifiably concerned. In either case, their concerns should be respected.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:31 PM

Not a lot new to report since the last update - but it's been a while since my previous update so I'll do a short update today.

There's been a lot of different information from experts on whether BA.5 is 'mild" - IMO it's probably more virulent than BA.2 - but because of the immunity wall severe illness in FL remains muted. The following is a good article about current Covid hospitalizations in FL (presented in an unbiased manner):

A look inside Florida’s hospitals as the newest COVID wave sweeps through the state

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ae0b9c6cd1b913

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the leading indicators that I follow (test positivity ratio) and FL wastewater - there still is no clear indication that a top is in yet. However BA.5 hospitalizations in the UK have peaked and turned down. The UK is usually a pretty good leading indicator for the USA. So I'm looking at a potential time window of mid to late August for the top to the current wave in FL. With hospitalizations trending lower in September.

This is not set in stone - and will need to be confirmed by the indicators. Also this is assuming there aren't any new variants.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,890 times
We're *still* whimpering about an infectious disease with a 99%+ survival rate?

Those who choose to can live in mortal fear, triple-masked and hiding under their beds, while surviving on Netflix and Door Dash, and awaiting the latest "expert" advice that this 17th Pfizer booster will really, Really, REALLY work on the dreaded new triple-omega variant.

The rest of us will carry on with our lives just fine in your absence.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at a potential time window of mid to late August for the top to the current wave in FL. With hospitalizations trending lower in September
My expectations have materialized. Currently Sarasota Memorial Hospital has 50 Covid patients - this is down more than 50% from the BA.5 peak. And the SMH test positivity ratio is down to 7.6%. For the near term the downtrend remains in place.

There is a new sub-variant called BA.2.75.2 which is the most immune evasive variant yet (even more than BA.5). As best as I can tell it hasn't been detected in FL yet (or the USA for that matter). So it's still too early to tell if this new subvariant will create a new wave. IMO it has the potential to create some kind of wave by winter. As of now I'm not predicting it - but I'll be watching for new data. And as I mentioned for now the downtrend is still intact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BA.2.75.2 exhibits more extreme antibody escape than any variant we've seen so far. A short thread:

https://twitter.com/BenjMurrell/stat...62185819303937

Old 09-16-2022, 05:41 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
My expectations have materialized. Currently Sarasota Memorial Hospital has 50 Covid patients - this is down more than 50% from the BA.5 peak. And the SMH test positivity ratio is down to 7.6%. For the near term the downtrend remains in place.

There is a new sub-variant called BA.2.75.2 which is the most immune evasive variant yet (even more than BA.5). As best as I can tell it hasn't been detected in FL yet (or the USA for that matter). So it's still too early to tell if this new subvariant will create a new wave. IMO it has the potential to create some kind of wave by winter. As of now I'm not predicting it - but I'll be watching for new data. And as I mentioned for now the downtrend is still intact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BA.2.75.2 exhibits more extreme antibody escape than any variant we've seen so far. A short thread:

https://twitter.com/BenjMurrell/stat...62185819303937
I suppose that variant BA.2.75.2 isn't in the new updated vaccine?

Old 09-16-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I suppose that variant BA.2.75.2 isn't in the new updated vaccine?
Yes you are correct. What I suspect is that the new updated booster will have some effect against BA.2.75.2 - but it will be reduced. However it's still early days and we need more real world data. Such as are infections with BA.2.75.2 causing less or more serious illness? There's some very early indications from India that BA.2.75.2 infections are not causing serious illness. And in the real world there is also T-cell immunity which cannot be measured in a test tube. So it's quite possible that a prior Covid infection along with vaccination could prevent a big rise in serious illness - although transmission could be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area