Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2023, 10:52 AM

71 posts, read 65,775 times

Advertisements

Good supplement tips. Thx. Even though we are in FL you might throw in some daily Vit D3 and K2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 11:31 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I have never been tested for Covid. Also I have never had the vaccine (because I'm prone to pericarditis). So have I ever had Covid? Who knows. Statistics would say I probably have. Although I've never had severe lung disease.

But several months ago I began having 'brain fog'. I didn't like this feeling at all! I do have stage 5 kidney failure and I go to kidney dialysis. So it's hard to say if my brain fog was related to that or Covid. I started dialysis in January.

In any event I want to share how I've alleviated my brain fog completely with just OTC supplements. I will list the brand name of the products I take in case you want to follow my protocol exactly. (I won't post the links for these products because that would be against Forum rules. I bought them at Walmart and I'm pretty sure they are also available on Amazon so just search there).

I waisted a lot of money on other supplements that didn't work. No guarantees but I can honestly say after much trial & error this is what works for me.

1) REASEARCH LABS Liposomal Glutathione. (A proprietary blend with lipids to increase absorption).

2) Double Wood supplements Lion's Mane Mushroom. (I like this brand because it contains the entire fruiting body and mycelium - both are shown to have positive impacts on the brain).

3) 500 milligrams Vitamin C w/rose hips (rose hips increase absorption of Vitamin C & Vitamin C increases glutathione activity in the body).

4) RESEARCH LABS NAD+ (Nicotinamide Riboside enhanced with resveratrol, Quercetin, and Betaine (TMG))

5) Black Coffee

How I take these supplements:

First thing in the morning (on empty stomach!) I take 1Glutathione softgel, 1 Lion's Mane capsule, and 1 capsule of 500 mg Vitamin C. Then I drink 1 to 2 cups of black coffee. After waiting about 1 hour I take the NAD+ (still on an empty stomach). I wait at least another 1.5 hours before eating any food. I have tried this protocol with food and the results are not nearly as good.

You might feel results from the Glutathione within a few days. However the Lion's Mane effect could take several weeks because it stimulates NGF (nerve growth factor) in the brain. Glutathione is a very potent free radical scavenger. Vitamin C improves absorption. And coffee is a proven mental enhancer.

I used to just drink coffee without the other supplements. I would get a temporary reduction of brain fog but once the coffee wore off the brain fog would come back. Combining the coffee with these supplements is the best of both worlds because then even when the coffee wears off the brain fog is gone.

-------------------------------------------

*Studies find that taking 500-1,000mg of vitamin C with glutathione can increase glutathione levels in white blood cells and red blood cells by 18% and 47%, respectively. So, if you want to maximize the effect of glutathione, taking it with vitamin C may just be the smartest idea.

*First, glutathione plays a crucial role in protecting the brain from oxidative stress which can contribute to the development of mental health conditions such as brain fog and other neurological disorders.
Glutathione is a potent antioxidant, supports healthy cognition, fights oxidative stress and inflammation, and counters the effects of aging

Glutathione (γ-l-glutamyl-l-cysteinyl-glycine, GSH or L-glutathione) is a tripeptide made up of cysteine, glycine, and glutamine and present in high concentrations in every cell in your body.

As an antioxidant, glutathione’s primary role is to protect your cells from free radical damage. And plays a vital role in detoxification.

As a nootropic, glutathione boosts memory, clearer thinking, and helps prevent neurodegenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. And boosts energy levels.

*NAD+ is found in every cell in your body and is essential for creating cellular energy and maintaining cellular health. Levels of this critical molecule correlate with health status in aging.

NAD+ levels decline with age. Despite their central role in cellular functions, the body doesn’t have an endless supply of NAD+. In fact, it decreases with age. Because NAD therapy is intended to accelerate the body’s natural healing process and help organs function at optimal levels, this treatment can greatly improve brain health. Essentially, NAD revitalizes cellular components of the brain that enhance neurotransmitter function as well as help balance brain chemistry, which results in boosted cognitive function.

*Lion's Mane Mushroom
Packed with bioactive compounds like beta-glucans, Lion's Mane is a potent neuroprotective agent. Clarity and Focus: Lion's Mane's potency as an antioxidant can support healthy inflammatory response, which is closely tied to brain fog. Reduced inflammation leads to increased blood flow and oxygenation for the brain.

The brain’s ability to grow and form new connections typically declines with age, which may explain why mental functioning worsens in many older adults.

Studies have found that lion’s mane mushrooms contain two special compounds that can stimulate the growth of brain cells: hericenones and erinacines.
Look into CoQ10 for your heart. I get mine from Vitacost.com

Old 11-17-2023, 11:58 AM

8,004 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Well as I mentioned I'm not sure if my brain fog was related to Covid - but apparently I'm on the right track by including coffee in my supplement protocol:

Coffee and COVID: Study finds coffee inhibits SARS-CoV-2, offers new dietary defense strategy

For full article:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-strategy.aspx

Conclusions:

The findings suggest that coffee can limit SARS-CoV-2 infection by inhibiting spike-ACE2 interactions, TMPRSS2, and CTSL. Coffee also reduced protein levels of ACE2 and TMPRSS2. Bioactive compounds in coffee, such as CGA, isoCGAs, and caffeine, showed inhibitory effects. The human trial showed that sera from regular and decaffeinated coffee consumers can suppress SARS-CoV-2, including the Omicron variant. Overall, the authors suggest that coffee intake could be a potential dietary strategy to prevent infection in the post-COVID era.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:36 PM

For those that are following along I've made 5 changes to my brain fog/nootropic protocol. (I'm feeling terrific even though I have stage 5 kidney failure and require dialysis. When my kidneys failed completely in late December the uremia buildup & extra fluid overload caused me to have heart failure - my cardiac ejection fraction was down to 25. I could barely get of bed. Now my ejection fraction is back to 63 (normal) and I can go for a brisk walk/jog for a full hour without getting tired).

*Still haven't figured out a way to reverse chronic kidney failure. I've tried various things but thus far nothing has worked. This is the toughest nut to crack.

Anyway here are my most recent changes:

1) Added Acetyl L-carnitine to my morning supplement protocol on empty stomach. I take one 500 mg capsule. Acetyl L-carnitine has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and improve brain health. There are other forms of L-carnitine but only acetyl L-carnitine crosses the blood brain barrier.

* "Sometimes used for Alzheimer disease, improving memory and thinking skills, treating symptoms of depression, and reducing nerve pain in people with diabetes
… short-chain ester of carnitine, is a common dietary supplement readily available in health food stores, claimed to improve energy levels and muscle strength. ALCAR has numerous effects on brain and muscle metabolism, protects against neurotoxic insults and may be an effective treatment for certain forms of depression"

2) Added 10 mg DHEA. DHEA is a hormone that declines as we age. It has several health benefits including an enhanced feeling of well being. This is considered a low dose. Some people take 25mg to 50 mg per day. But if you decide to take that amount I recommend getting a blood test for DHEA to see if you are deficient and to avoid taking too much.

* "Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone produced by the body's adrenal glands. The body uses DHEA to make androgens and estrogens, the male and female sex hormones. DHEA levels peak at about age 25, then go down steadily as you get older. A steroid hormone sold in supplement form, DHEA may help fight depression, shield bone health, and more."

3) Changed the form of vitamin C that I take to PureWay C (a proprietary formulation of ascorbic acid combined with lipid metabolites). This form has much better absorption.

4) Changed the type of Lion's Mane Mushroom that I take to extract form of the fruiting body. Extract is more powerful and most of the benefits are in the fruiting body. I'm taking a brand called Piping Rock Lion's Mane 2100 mg. One capsule provides the equivalent of 2100 mg (525 mg of 4:1 extract) and 10 mg Bioperene black pepper extract for increased absorption.

5) In the morning several hours after I have taken my nootropic protocol on an empty stomach - I take about 1 &1/2 teaspoons of D-Ribose powder (mixed in a couple ounces of water) prior to my walk/jog. D-Ribose increases athletic performance and provides energy to the heart.

* "Ribose is a sugar molecule that occurs naturally in the body and is made from blood glucose. It is a vital part of adenosine triphosphate (ATP)—a molecule that helps store and release energy. ATP also supports muscle contraction (the tightening, shortening, and lengthening of muscles) and your body's nerve signals.

Also known as D-ribose, it is marketed as a nutritional supplement to reduce fatigue and improve athletic performance. It's also been studied for people with heart failure."

Last edited by wondermint2; 11-17-2023 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-17-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Look into CoQ10 for your heart. I get mine from Vitacost.com
Yes I also take CoQ10. It's good for the heart. I didn't include it in my brain fog protocol mentioned here because it's primarily a heart (not brain supplement). I take 200 mg. CoQ10 with my evening meal. I have tried CoQ10 before exercise and my personal opinion was it didn't give me the exercise boost that D-Ribose does when taken before exercise.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:41 AM

I've added four more supplements to my brain fog/nootropic program. I think they are all good but I'm feeling especially notable results with the phosphatydalserine.

1) Phosphatydalserine. I Take one 150 mg. capsule in the morning on an empty stomach and one 150 mg. capsule with dinner.

This is from the WebMD web site:

"Phosphatidylserine is a fatty substance called a phospholipid. It covers and protects the cells in your brain and carries messages between them.

Phosphatidylserine plays an important role in keeping your mind and memory sharp. Animal studies suggest that the level of this substance in the brain decreases with age.

Why do people take phosphatidylserine?
Phosphatidylserine is taken to try to prevent memory loss and mental decline that may occur as you get older.

Several studies suggest that it may boost your brain power. People who took the supplement scored higher on short-term memory, mood, and concentration tests. For example, they could better recall names and objects. Much more research is needed to confirm these results."

2) Omega-3 fish oil. I take 1000 mg. of a concentrated fish oil that contains 645 mg EPA and 310 mg DHA per capsule. I take it with my evening meal. I buy the Spring Valley 1000 mg brand from Walmart. Not all fish oil capsules are concentrated - so be sure to check the active ingredients (EPA & DHA to be sure you are getting 1000 mg of these active ingredients).

"Consumption of omega-3 improved learning, memory ability, cognitive well-being, and blood flow in the brain. Omega-3 therapies are beneficial, well-tolerated, and very low-risk. Lonelier people, the elderly, and people with less consumption of healthy foods containing omega-3 can benefit from the consumption of omega-3 supplements."

3) Bacopa Monnieri herb. I take one 1000 mg. capsule with my evening meal. This tends to have a calming effect and is better absorbed with food. That's why I take it with my evening meal.

"Bacopa monnieri is a nootropic herb that has been used in traditional medicine for longevity and cognitive enhancement. Supplementation can improve memory, at least in the short-term, and there may be some mental health benefits. It's considered an adaptogenic herb, meaning that it increases your body's resistance to stress. Research suggests that Bacopa monnieri helps reduce stress and anxiety by elevating your mood and reducing levels of cortisol, a hormone that is closely linked to stress levels."

4) Ashwaganda herb. I take 900 mg before bedtime. This herb is an adaptagen and a nootropic. I find it to be relaxing and it improves my sleep quality.

"At the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, 60 students (9 males, 49 females, and 2 nonbinary; age 18 to 50 years) were randomized to take an ashwagandha root extract (Gaia Herbs) or placebo for 30 days in a double-blind trial. The extract contained 2.5 mg withanolides per 350-mg capsule, and participants took two capsules daily. The investigators gathered qualitative, subjective information from participants during daily check-ins and focus groups.

Participants who took ashwagandha extract reported increased well-being, including a sense of calm, improved energy levels, heightened mental clarity, and enhanced sleep quality. While descriptions of stress were comparable in both groups, participants taking ashwagandha were more likely to describe their stress as manageable compared with those taking placebo."

-------------------------------------------------------

*Note: I find the Rhodiola Rosea to be stimulating which is why I take it with my breakfast/lunch. "Ideally, rhodiola should be taken about 15 minutes before meals. Avoid taking it right at bedtime." On the other hand Ashwaghanda has a calming effect so I avoid it in the mornings - especially since I do my exercise in the mornings.

Last edited by wondermint2; 11-26-2023 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-26-2023, 12:20 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
I've added four more supplements to my brain fog/nootropic program. I think they are all good but I'm feeling especially notable results with the phosphatydalserine.

1) Phosphatydalserine. I Take one 150 mg. capsule in the morning on an empty stomach and one 150 mg. capsule with dinner.

This is from the WebMD web site:

"Phosphatidylserine is a fatty substance called a phospholipid. It covers and protects the cells in your brain and carries messages between them.

Phosphatidylserine plays an important role in keeping your mind and memory sharp. Animal studies suggest that the level of this substance in the brain decreases with age.

Why do people take phosphatidylserine?
Phosphatidylserine is taken to try to prevent memory loss and mental decline that may occur as you get older.

Several studies suggest that it may boost your brain power. People who took the supplement scored higher on short-term memory, mood, and concentration tests. For example, they could better recall names and objects. Much more research is needed to confirm these results."

2) Omega-3 fish oil. I take 1000 mg. of a concentrated fish oil that contains 645 mg EPA and 310 mg DHA per capsule. I take it with my evening meal. I buy the Spring Valley 1000 mg brand from Walmart. Not all fish oil capsules are concentrated - so be sure to check the active ingredients (EPA & DHA to be sure you are getting 1000 mg of these active ingredients).

"Consumption of omega-3 improved learning, memory ability, cognitive well-being, and blood flow in the brain. Omega-3 therapies are beneficial, well-tolerated, and very low-risk. Lonelier people, the elderly, and people with less consumption of healthy foods containing omega-3 can benefit from the consumption of omega-3 supplements."

3) Bacopa Monnieri herb. I take one 1000 mg. capsule with my evening meal. This tends to have a calming effect and is better absorbed with food. That's why I take it with my evening meal.

"Bacopa monnieri is a nootropic herb that has been used in traditional medicine for longevity and cognitive enhancement. Supplementation can improve memory, at least in the short-term, and there may be some mental health benefits. It's considered an adaptogenic herb, meaning that it increases your body's resistance to stress. Research suggests that Bacopa monnieri helps reduce stress and anxiety by elevating your mood and reducing levels of cortisol, a hormone that is closely linked to stress levels."

4) Ashwaganda herb. I take 900 mg before bedtime. This herb is an adaptagen and a nootropic. I find it to be relaxing and it improves my sleep quality.

"At the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, 60 students (9 males, 49 females, and 2 nonbinary; age 18 to 50 years) were randomized to take an ashwagandha root extract (Gaia Herbs) or placebo for 30 days in a double-blind trial. The extract contained 2.5 mg withanolides per 350-mg capsule, and participants took two capsules daily. The investigators gathered qualitative, subjective information from participants during daily check-ins and focus groups.

Participants who took ashwagandha extract reported increased well-being, including a sense of calm, improved energy levels, heightened mental clarity, and enhanced sleep quality. While descriptions of stress were comparable in both groups, participants taking ashwagandha were more likely to describe their stress as manageable compared with those taking placebo."

-------------------------------------------------------

*Note: I find the Rhodiola Rosea to be stimulating which is why I take it with my breakfast/lunch. "Ideally, rhodiola should be taken about 15 minutes before meals. Avoid taking it right at bedtime." On the other hand Ashwaghanda has a calming effect so I avoid it in the mornings - especially since I do my exercise in the mornings.
Check out;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...G&opi=89978449
For bulk ashwaganda.

Old 12-02-2023, 06:24 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
I suppose it doesnt matter for you being stage 5 and on dialysis which will cleanse out toxins, but if someone was at a lower level of kidney failure, I would be checking with my nephrologist before taking these supplements.

Old 12-02-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I suppose it doesnt matter for you being stage 5 and on dialysis which will cleanse out toxins, but if someone was at a lower level of kidney failure, I would be checking with my nephrologist before taking these supplements.
Yes not a bad idea. However I will mention that some Nephrologists are against anything that's 'natural' and not a prescription drug. This is how they are traditionally trained in Med School. While some might be more open to natural solutions.

My own personal opinion is I will listen to what my nephrologist has to say - but I will not take what he says as the holy grail. Most nephrologists are not at all aware or familar with OTC natural substances. (And this also applies to most doctors in general). That is why ultimately I am the captain of my own ship and I research these things on my own.

I also take into consideration that currently according to the medical establishment there is still much to be learned about brain fog - and there is no prescription medication that cures brain fog. I have found something that works for me.

I do think that if people are concerned about these supplements a good idea is to get routine blood tests done. As you mentioned I'm on dialysis and that 'might' make a difference. I do get blood tests done monthly as part of my dialysis treatments and so far so good. I also had additional blood work done with my annual physical.

Last edited by wondermint2; 12-02-2023 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-13-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Let's take another look at the Walgreen's Florida Covid test positivity chart to see what might lay ahead for Fall/Winter (from the link below click on Florida from their national map to see the current Florida chart):

https://www.walgreens.com/healthcare...covid-19-index

Here is my interpretation of the chart:

From the steep decline following the big summer rise the test positivity has stopped falling and is going sideways in an area of prior support. We reached a bottom of 23.8% on 09/28/20223. As of 10/08/2023 we are at 25.4%.

On the chart you can see the prior support area formed from 03/17/2023 (23.7%) through 06/07/2023 (26.1%).

IMO there's about a 75% chance we will break out of the current consolidation pattern to the upside sometime near the holidays. (The 2023 summer wave lasted roughly 54 days from the start on 06/11/2023 to the top on 08/06/2023. So a consolidation of 54 days from the summer wave bottom on 09/28/2023 would put us near Thanksgiving on 11/23/2023 as a possible breakout date for a winter wave up. Also from a seasonality standpoint the previous Florida Winter wave began in earnest on 11/19/2022 - not far from Thanksgiving)

The 'winter wave' would have major upside resistance at a test positivity rate of 37.5% (the 01/03/2023 top) and likely it wouldn't push through that level. So in other words the winter wave will likely not be as big as the 2023 summer wave. If we do manage to break through that 37.5% level then we could be headed back towards the summer highs near 50%. The winter wave will likely top out in early January 2024.

Levels to watch for a breakout from the current consolidation:

If we break above 26.19% next resistance is 29.2% and then a break above 30.6% (the 05/18/2023 consolidation high) would clear the way to a move to major resistance at 37.5%.

If we break below 23.8% next support is 22.9% (from 11/19/2022) and then 18.3% on (10/15/2022)
Well thus far it looks like my analysis is (mostly) on track. I had predicted a new uptrend to start around Thanksgiving. The first line of support failed to hold the downtrend around the 23% level but we found support slightly below the major low of 18.2% on Oct. 17th. Let's take another look at the Walgreen's FL Covid test positivity chart which is now updated through December 10th here:

https://www.walgreens.com/healthcare...covid-19-index

It looks like the FL chart found major support and made a double bottom on 11/3 at 17.2% and then again on 11/18 at 16.9%. (You can draw a line from the low on Oct. 17th of 18.2% to the the lows on 11/3 and 11/18 and see that the November double bottom exceeded the major Oct. 17th low only slightly before turning up. Thus the Oct. 17th low offered major support).

The bounce up from support has taken us back up to 22.3% through December 10th. My best estimate for now is a moderate up wave peaking in early January. Not as big as the summer wave.

There is a new variant called JN.1 that is increasing and will be above 50% in the USA in a few weeks. (Currently it's slightly above 20%). I won't get into that now so if you're interested I suggest googling it.

The chart analysis I did does not take the scientific study of the JN.1 variant into account (I consider studying variants to be akin to stock market fundamental analysis). Although a rise in JN.1 will likely effect the chart. In other words the information I need is contained in the chart. I'm trying something experimental and my aim is to simplify things as much as possible by only looking at the Walmart FL Covid test positivitiy chart (this is akin to stock market technical analysis).

Last edited by wondermint2; 12-13-2023 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area