Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 01:15 PM

402 posts, read 260,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I didn't attack you I appreciate your contribution. I'm just trying to prevent a lot of misinformation from being posted here. And by the way speaking of politically motivated data - I don't trust much coming out from the FDOH. They try to "spin" the death total calculations to make FL look better.

OK I found it and I see where you got your death numbers. However from that Mayo Clinic web page it says:

More trends for Florida
See how the average positive test rate and cumulative fatality rate have changed over time. The percent positive is shown as a seven-day average.

It says specifically that the percent positivity is from a 7-day average - however it says the fatality rate is a cumulative total. This was exactly my point. The death rate in FL is much higher than MA recently
You are not understanding mathematics. Few people do. Allow me to explain as I do to my students.

"Florida Fatality rate among those who tested positive was 1.60% on 7/16 and has dropped to 1.48% on 8/4."

What does this tell you?

It tells you that there is a statistically very significant drop in deaths in Florida. A drop from 1.60% to 1.48% is .12% - a huge drop. 7.5% to be exact. And that means the death rate is well under 1.48% to move the needle.

"The Mass Fatality rate was 2.71% on 7/16 and has dropped to 2.68% on 8/4."

What does this tell you?

It tells you that there was a minor drop in the death rates in Massachusetts. A drop from 2.71% to 2.68% is small .03%. This means the death rate is still at or about the elevated level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 01:25 PM

8,005 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying941 View Post
You are not understanding mathematics. Few people do. Allow me to explain as I do to my students.

"Florida Fatality rate among those who tested positive was 1.60% on 7/16 and has dropped to 1.48% on 8/4."

What does this tell you?

It tells you that there is a statistically very significant drop in deaths in Florida. A drop from 1.60% to 1.48% is .12% - a huge drop. 7.5% to be exact. And that means the death rate is well under 1.48% to move the needle.

"The Mass Fatality rate was 2.71% on 7/16 and has dropped to 2.68% on 8/4."

What does this tell you?

It tells you that there was a minor drop in the death rates in Massachusetts. A drop from 2.71% to 2.68% is small .03%. This means the death rate is still at or about the elevated level.
Total deaths have declined by 50% over the past 14 days in MA:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

Total deaths have increased by 118% in FL over the past 14 days:

What does this tell you? IMO this fact doesn't show a "statistically very significant drop in deaths in Florida" (as you put it). Quite the contrary. It's all in the context of the entire situation. The number of deaths recently are so low in MA that IMO your analysis can be misleading as to the overall big picture.

The total deaths in FL over the past 7 days are forty times greater than than in MA. Context.

Last edited by wondermint2; 08-07-2021 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-07-2021, 02:08 PM

402 posts, read 260,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Total deaths have declined by 50% over the past 14 days in MA:

Total deaths have increased by 118% in FL over the past 14 days:

What does this tell you? IMO this fact doesn't show a "statistically very significant drop in deaths in Florida" (as you put it). Quite the contrary. It's all in the context of the entire situation. The number of deaths recently are so low in MA that IMO your analysis can be misleading as to the overall big picture.

The total deaths in FL over the past 7 days are forty times greater than than in MA. Context.
You obviously believe what you want to believe. The actual averages do not lie. You just do not like them as they are not part of the narrative you are advancing.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
This thread is somewhat weird in repeating many sources that have an agenda.

Increase in CASE number is not congruent to danger, sickness or death....period.

Outcomes are far more significant. Ask any decent physician, not the NY Times or many other periodical sources. Of course physicians encourage prevention, but they also don't promote unfounded fear and apprehension...caution, yes.

Heck, the CDC and WHO are even duplicitous in this matter.

It's easy....it's simple...get a vaccination if you want and should, if guided by your OWN physician or healthcare professional, based on your own risk profile.

You want to listen to politicians or the media or a web forum for "guidance" and valid news about local circumstances??, you go right ahead, God Bless you.

I listen to my physician, who knows me. The common cold, my physician states, is or can be a variant of corona viruses. His experience is that he has seen "variants" of influenza that have made patients deathly ill, and some have indeed died. That happens, he said, every year. He further stated that he saw similar symptoms that may have undoubtedly been Covid19/Corona back in EARLY 2019.

Do what you want to do for your own health and your family's health based on consultation with your OWN physician. My physician almost laughs out loud at the suggestion that most of the "masks" that people walk around with are effective as a prophylactic ...notwithstanding the possible use of an N95. Your own physician may disagree. My own physician suggests that it is a pacifier in most cases. Other physicians are fearful to speak out with certainty on this issue it seems to me...and buy-in to the notion that they are a bit effective.

I guess my physician is a bit less political. He advised me and my family on the use of Zinc, Vitamin D, a regimen of irrigation of saline (only) nose spray, and a few other known prescribed, cheap medicines...and if you wish, get a vaccine. But all of this is between me, my family and physician, not any politician, or bureaucrat. It's personal he states, and individual.

Many otherwise normal people seem to have "Covid on the brain" and "Covid News Fatigue".

Get a grip, live your own life, and don't lose your mind....but listen and consult with your own healthcare professional....preferably an MD that knows you. Dr. Fauci of the CDC doesn't know you, neither do the NEA, FTA, Health Department, New York Times, MSN, FOX, City-Data web posters, Ms. Psaki, Mr. Biden, or Mr. DeSantis.

Speak with your physician and skip the tortured "news wire" and "breaking news".
Who in this forum only reports on cases and not the other metrics also? I know it's not me. The FDOH is run by you know who - and they are withholding data from the public. So I get a lot of my data from different sources. I also report on the stats when they go down - so no I'm not a 'fear mongerer'. Just not going to sugar coat things when they are bad.

Here are some factual stats from today. If you think that it's "political" to post the factual stats I suggest you ignore this thread because apparently the facts don't agree with your own political agenda:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...icy/ar-AAN3A1Y

There were 13,747 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida, breaking the state’s hospitalization record for the sixth day in a row, according to data from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services as of 1 p.m. Saturday. A total of 253 out of 260 hospitals reported.

About 2,753 people were in intensive care, representing 43.27% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 253 hospitals reporting. That percentage has been climbing with more hospitalizations. The Florida Department of Health also released its COVID-19 Weekly Situation Report for the week of July 30 to Aug. 5 Friday.

According to this report, there were 134,506 coronavirus cases and 616 deaths reported statewide during this period. The new case positivity rate for Florida this week was 18.9 percent.

---------------------------------------------------

Also I agree that it's a good idea for people to speak to their doctor - however a case study showed that patients whom are 'feisty' with their doctors get better outcomes. Not all doctors are up to date on the recent studies, alternative treatments, etc. There are some things that doctors don't learn from med school and most tend to align with the pharmaceutical companies.

That's why IMO it's a good idea to do some independent research, get a second opinion from a different doctor and don't be shy about questioning your doctor. Often times they are not the know all end all.

What I post here is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice - it's done for news/informational purposes.

Last edited by wondermint2; 08-07-2021 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-07-2021, 06:09 PM

So it appears that businesses in Florida can "require" a vaccine for their employees - however are they allowed to ask for "proof" of a vaccine? I researched this and several lawyers gave conflicing answers. I know businesses are not allowed to ask for proof of vaccination from customers.

What does it mean exactly for a business in FL to "mandate" a vaccine for an employee? We all know that "honor systems" aren't always effective. If somebody doesn't want the vaccine they'll just lie about it or claim a religious exemption (see below). Can a business / entity check a vaccine database legally in Florida to see if the employee is telling the truth?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...ida/ar-AAN2IHW

But what about Florida’s ban on vaccine passports?

The order prohibits businesses and government entities from requiring customers — or in the case of schools, students — to show proof of vaccination to get service. Businesses are still allowed to mandate vaccines for employees. That’s subject to bargaining for unionized workers.

--------------------------------------------

Then there's this tidbit of information:

All four experts told us that while employers have the right to require vaccinations, accommodations must be made for people who cannot get the vaccine due to a disability or a “sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.”

However, the accommodation cannot cause an “undue hardship” on the employer. What counts as an undue hardship can vary by business and could be on a case-by-case basis. It will also depend on whether the accommodation is for a disability (including pregnancy-related conditions) or for religion, according to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

“Do you have to radically reconfigure the job to make this work? Or are there ways of just adjusting the job slightly in order to make it work? That’s kind of the spectrum of what we’re talking about,” Cohen said.

Last edited by wondermint2; 08-07-2021 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-08-2021, 07:59 AM

240 posts, read 212,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Why dont you just scroll on by? Others are appreciative of the information provided in this thread. No one is forcing you to read it
Sounds like you're a bit too defensive. It's a public access internet forum, it's not an academic policy or medical think tank for godsake. It's not a clearinghouse of media discourse in re Covid stats.

Trust your local Physician. I assure you that few currently licensed surgeons, epidemiologists, physicians, dentists, nurse practitioners etc. are spreading their wisdom, experience and opinions on the local Sarasota-Manatee CD forum.

This is a local, Sarasota-Manatee FLORIDA forum and my understanding is that you're a NEW YORKER...which is fine I suppose, but you're attempting to chastise the participation of a real local resident? I'd suggest, that NY has many many issues not just Covid to comment on and provide your informed "direction". But it still remains a free country...I still have the freedom to read, comment or ignore...just like you. Get it?

Incessantly re-hashing public information on a local internet forum seems overkill. Locals in this region can easily obtain the news wire on thousands of local, national and international legitimate, reliable sources it seems to many of us, any day of the week!

Let's not get personal or start making personal attacks....opinions are always great....obsessing on a "mission" disseminating a "news wire" seems excessive....that's my opinion, that's all. And what's this stuff about banning anyway? odd indeed.

Enjoy! stay safe and happy, and listen to your OWN physician and local medical team! I don't know "jack" ca-looosa

Last edited by KMerendino; 08-08-2021 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-08-2021, 09:45 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I check Wondermint's posts everyday. Although I am not a local (we are thinking of retiring to Venice, which is why I am on this particular forum), my daughter goes to college in Florida. We will be driving her down in a couple of weeks, and I like to be aware of the Covid situation there. I find his posts informative and clear, and I appreciate the time he takes to write them.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

IMO what happened over a year ago with a much different Covid-19 variant than Delta - is not really that relevant as to what is going on now. Currently Florida has over 70 times the deaths compared to Rhode Island.

I think last year’s info is relevant in how it might show trends between infection/hospitalizations/intubation and ICU admission/and deaths vs releases…between last year’s waves and this new Delta storm
Are hospitals having as hard a time getting a handle on how to best treat the seriously ill?
There was lot of trial and error last year finding better methods and supplemental meds…
Are they any better supplied with O2 and intubation equipment than last year?
Have they instituted stronger safety practices to prevent cross contamination
All of those factors are in some measure related to the stats after someone infected gets to hospital.
And I wonder if the tests are AS effective in early diagnosis of people who were vaxed and might get a breakthrough new Delta infection

This CoVid variant “Delta” is a different type of virus…takes longer to get to the lungs even in un-vaxed, targets younger victims (because even b4 seniors started taking the vax old CoVid had fewer % of children infected

Old 08-08-2021, 10:15 AM

Here's a really good interview with scientist Eric Topol about the Delta wave:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...right-now.html

Old 08-08-2021, 12:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Keep posting Wondermint2

We know the purpose behind the negative posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area