Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 AM

83 posts, read 278,038 times

Advertisements

Looking for provider with best reception in LWR area.
Also - any suggestions for TV/Internet/home phone?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,277,703 times
Verizon & Bright House both offer "bundle" deals for cable/phone/internet all in one package.

I have Bright house & pay $99/month. The drawback is that when they go down I lose everything at once. Verizon's deal has more channels than what I have.

Verizon is pushing its new Fios service, but my in-laws have it and I find it to be overpriced and not any better. Internet speed can not go faster than the speed of your computer, so unless you have a majorly fast system (or are used to dial-up) you will not see an increase in speed.

Much as I despise Verizon I will always use their wireless service. Their coverage area is bigger and I do some out of state traveling.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM

745 posts, read 2,213,383 times
My family near the area uses Bright House for internet/home phone/tv for the $99/month deal. If I remember correctly they also install for free. Quality has always been really good and they've not had any unexplained or unreasonable service outages while in the home for the 2 yrs. they've been there. Internet is plenty fast to do everything they need. I tend to agree with Racelady in that, at least in the houses I've seen, Verizon's Fios costs more, but its quality and speed isn't any better.

For cell phones, I would disagree with Racelady and say that Verizon also costs more and the quality isn't any better in this department either, contrary to their large advertising campaign that wants you to think that way. Their national coverage area isn't any larger than Alltel or Sprint, because all three providers use the same technology and customers can roam off the others network for free if they ever lose a native signal from their own provider. It was actually alltel that was rated the best wireless provider in the Tampa area in the Consumer Reports survey a couple months ago. Alltel also offers My Circle which generally makes their plans a better deal than Verizon. I've used both in the area and they both seem to do fine. Alltel even seems to do a little better indoors though in the areas I've been.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariadbd View Post
Looking for provider with best reception in LWR area.
Also - any suggestions for TV/Internet/home phone?
Thanks
We've had good results with Virgin Mobile...we don't live in Lakewood Ranch, but I've had to go all over Manatee County (and sometimes into Sarasota) for RGIS. We've received calls and made calls to other places in the state, as well as other states.

I use Bright House for cable...I don't know anything about Verizon's deals.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 PM

260 posts, read 910,563 times
I had Brighthouse and didn't have many problems but thought I wanted to try Verizon. BIG mistake. The bill is always screwed up and when you call you can be on hold for an hour easily usually it's longer. They promised me a $100.00 credit for referring a friend. She got hers and I never got mine. You have to sign a contract so your stuck unless you want to pay them to go away. If you go to TBO.com and do a search on Verizon you can read some articles a reporter did over a 2 week period about unhappy customers and their comments.

I have alltel for cell and have no problems. If you don't go out of the state you can get the greater freedom package it's cheaper, no roaming or if you do have to roam you can buy 100 minutes for $10.00. With each plan they have a circle of 1, 5, or 10 #'s you call the most and you don't use airtime and alltel to alltel is unlimited.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,426,512 times
I lived in LWR and by far Bright House for cable, phone and internet. Dial 611 from your digital phone for any problems or information that you need regarding your service or just tech support. Excellent customer service (which is rare these days).
I use Verizon for my wireless with no problems.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 AM

4,905 posts, read 14,167,546 times
Alltel for wireless hands down.

As far as your cable...I'd go satellite...Dish or Direct...cheaper than cable & more offerings.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,041,033 times
my daughter lives in Venice/Sarasota Co and uses her cell phone most of the time to call us in DFW area--
she used to have ATT and then bought a new phone and got different provider--her coverage is always dropping--she hates it and we date it--very frustrating
she has said who it is but I forget--
their condo assoc says no outside antennas or dishes so they have no option but cable--most apts and condos are like that

and we got her a web cam for christmas tht she just set up to use with skype for calling friend who has moved to england...
sometimes she does have problems with her internet service as well
I will ask her who their providers are

Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,966,184 times
I use AllTel and have no problems with them. DirectTv for television, and it's ok unless there's a storm, then we lose service occasionally.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM

69 posts, read 236,286 times
I have Alltel and have travelled all over the country with both my cell phone and lap top connection-wireless card (NH, AL, NC, SC, NY, CA, LA, VA, TN, NV) and I've always had a connection. I have Verizon FIOS for home internet, cable and phone and no problems either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area