Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times

Advertisements

Venice might be a good area for you. Mainly the unincorporated areas "off the island". There are many active retirees in the general area, more so than in Sarasota. There are newer subdivisions and also some that are 10 years old or less and the sq footage is in line with your requirements. Home are generally a bit less expensive than Sarasota. It is still Sarasota county - just the southern portion. It's a lovely area - don't think it is less desirable because the prices aren't as high as Sarasota.

In most areas of Venice, many subdivisions appear to be 55+ by looking at who lives there, but they are not officially 55+ communities. Younger folks can be pretty rare, and babies are almost an endangered species. There is plenty to do as far as restaurants and shopping. And the beach and bay are very close and parking is less congested at those areas compared to beach parking in Sarasota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,934,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Venice might be a good area for you. Mainly the unincorporated areas "off the island". There are many active retirees in the general area, more so than in Sarasota. There are newer subdivisions and also some that are 10 years old or less and the sq footage is in line with your requirements. Home are generally a bit less expensive than Sarasota. It is still Sarasota county - just the southern portion. It's a lovely area - don't think it is less desirable because the prices aren't as high as Sarasota.

In most areas of Venice, many subdivisions appear to be 55+ by looking at who lives there, but they are not officially 55+ communities. Younger folks can be pretty rare, and babies are almost an endangered species. There is plenty to do as far as restaurants and shopping. And the beach and bay are very close and parking is less congested at those areas compared to beach parking in Sarasota.
I totally agree with this ^^^. Especially with the average age in Venice being 68. It's seems like an ideal town.

It's just hard to gage how much activity the OP is looking for. I did post a few subdivisions in the Venice area which would be top on my list.

I really think the OP needs to go from North Port up through Bradenton and get a feel for each town and which area "clicks" with them.

StayWarm2, you might want to use my post from last night as a general guide.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,380,647 times
Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Thanks! This sounds like it could work very well, as long as there are stores, restaurants, and hospital nearby.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Visiting the Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I totally agree with this ^^^. Especially with the average age in Venice being 68. It's seems like an ideal town.

It's just hard to gage how much activity the OP is looking for. I did post a few subdivisions in the Venice area which would be top on my list.

I really think the OP needs to go from North Port up through Bradenton and get a feel for each town and which area "clicks" with them.

StayWarm2, you might want to use my post from last night as a general guide.
SoFLGal, I certainly agree that we need to visit the area and look at the various communities in the areas you listed.

Gated communities are NOT important to us. (Unless there is a lot of crime in the area??) We lived in a gated community in Weston, FL and it was sort of an annoyance at times, with having to list visitors, etc.

We are NOT looking for tennis leagues and don't care too much about a community pool. We have a community pool at present and only go when the grandkids are here. We don't care much about a work out facility. We're more interested in a friendly community, where people actually smile or wave and neighbors talk to each other. My husband is playing golf again after 20 yrs., but doesn't need an on-site course. Some neighborhood clubs would be nice--book club, cards, dine-out, travel club. Any of these would be fun. We don't want a country club. We're looking for a real neighborhood. I know this is very hard to find these days.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,934,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
SoFLGal, I certainly agree that we need to visit the area and look at the various communities in the areas you listed.

Gated communities are NOT important to us. (Unless there is a lot of crime in the area??) We lived in a gated community in Weston, FL and it was sort of an annoyance at times, with having to list visitors, etc.

We are NOT looking for tennis leagues and don't care too much about a community pool. We have a community pool at present and only go when the grandkids are here. We don't care much about a work out facility. We're more interested in a friendly community, where people actually smile or wave and neighbors talk to each other. My husband is playing golf again after 20 yrs., but doesn't need an on-site course. Some neighborhood clubs would be nice--book club, cards, dine-out, travel club. Any of these would be fun. We don't want a country club. We're looking for a real neighborhood. I know this is very hard to find these days.
I would suggest the gated communities and the like due to the more social environment. Generally these communities have a larger social calendar i.e. card, travel, crafts club, etc. It just happens that most of these communities also have tennis, a clubhouse and other amenities that are not on your list.

I still think the list I provided with the green bolded communities will be the closest to what you are looking for.

I know you said that you visited the area a number of times. Where did you stay? Did you like that area? I wonder if it might be a better option to come down and rent for a few months while you investigate the area. That would give you time to look at many of the communities that I have listed.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,453 times
Here I am, plugging the Meadows again. Membership in the the Meadows Country Club is not mandatory. The country club does have many types of memberships if you prefer just a social membership.There are some community events in the Community Center there: book club, mah jong, bridge, crafts club. One golf course is semi-public with very good rates. Right outside the 17th street entrance is the Bobby Jones Golf Course, a well respected public course. There is also a paw park near there if you have a pooch. In the development there is a small shopping center with a pub (live entertainment- jazz, oldies, kareoke), italian restaurant, sandwich shop, travel agency, barber, salon,masseuse,financial advisors,rental agency and a bank.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Default looking for long term rental in Sarasota

I have been reading this thread and getting some good info. I plan to be in Sarasota the 22nd of September to find a long term rental to move into. I love to golf, and I have a small dog. I want to be in an area "where the action is". I dont want to be too far from the beaches (love St. Armands/Lido Beach area), places to dance, golf, work out, go boating, restaurants, theatre, etc. I really dont know if I want to be in a 55+ community. I just turned 60; I am outgoing but it might be nice to be near people who like to do the things I do, to make friends faster. I have heard of some communities being "really old" and I don't want that at all.

I want to stay in a low price range, maybe $1000 per month, give or take a few hundred. Prefer 2+ bedrooms, and do like a measure of immediate privacy, like a deck or backyard, or screen room. I might like a spot near the beach or on one of the Keys, but I know they are usually much more expensive.

I also should contact a property mgmt. company to help me look. Any suggestions on the best one to help me? I know they charge application fees, so I need to pick one ...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Annette

Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 AM

767 posts, read 2,067,308 times
Check out Siesta Key. That is where we plan to retire. It has beautiful beaches and Siesta village is like its own small town. People are friendly on the key, there is alot to do there, and real estate prices have dropped alot over the past few years.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettefavre View Post
I have been reading this thread and getting some good info. I plan to be in Sarasota the 22nd of September to find a long term rental to move into. I love to golf, and I have a small dog. I want to be in an area "where the action is". I dont want to be too far from the beaches (love St. Armands/Lido Beach area), places to dance, golf, work out, go boating, restaurants, theatre, etc. I really dont know if I want to be in a 55+ community. I just turned 60; I am outgoing but it might be nice to be near people who like to do the things I do, to make friends faster. I have heard of some communities being "really old" and I don't want that at all.

I want to stay in a low price range, maybe $1000 per month, give or take a few hundred. Prefer 2+ bedrooms, and do like a measure of immediate privacy, like a deck or backyard, or screen room. I might like a spot near the beach or on one of the Keys, but I know they are usually much more expensive.

I also should contact a property mgmt. company to help me look. Any suggestions on the best one to help me? I know they charge application fees, so I need to pick one ...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Annette
A property mgt company will only be able to show you "their" rentals. You could check with several prop mgt companies in order to expand your pool of property. Also there are individual landlords that rent out their places.

The Sunday Serasota Herald classifieds has a ton of rentals. The Saturday Venice Gondolier also has many. Several prop mgt companies advertise in the Gondolier with their lists of properties. Also check craigslist. Also realtor.com has rentals ( a selection choice when searching). Also zillow.

You will see there are 2 rental categories...Seasonal (aka monthly) and Annual.

Seasonal costs a lot more per month and are furnished with utilities, cable, etc paid by landlord. You pay 10% state tax on top of rent if you rent for less than 6 months. Seasonal are popular for Jan-Feb-Mar as this is the prime time for snowbirds. Many seasonal properties are vacant for the summer months but they make up the difference in the winter.

Annual rent is much cheaper and unfurnished and usually lease of 7 months to 12 months and you put utilities in you name.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM

Default Siesta Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Check out Siesta Key. That is where we plan to retire. It has beautiful beaches and Siesta village is like its own small town. People are friendly on the key, there is alot to do there, and real estate prices have dropped alot over the past few years.
We would love the beaches and friendly people.

Are there single family homes or only condos?

Are hurricanes a big issue on Siesta Key? Do you have to evacuate often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area