Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 AM

18 posts, read 42,193 times

Advertisements

Have always wanted to make that move to Santa Fe or Taos. I am a person of few needs, with a work history in hospitality and other menial jobs like cashiering, bartending, etc. - don't need much. Anyone have any opinion on what my chances would be of obtaining, say a full-time front desk clerk job if I were to pick up and move to Taos today? Santa Fe? I know the two are a little different, so any info you could give me would be great. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,781,710 times
With the population of Taos at less than 6000 & Santa Fe population at somewhere around 68,000, one's chances for quick employment stand to be a bit better in Santa Fe.

Both newspapers are online to check for openings.

Good luck in your searches.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:41 PM

974 posts, read 2,352,447 times
Y'know, I wonder if instead of job seekers being reactive, it might be better being pro-active.
So, gmo333, how about sending emails or letters to the managers of all the lodging establishments in Taos and Santa Fe, including your resume, and asking them if they have any openings they would consider you for?
Before my current career, when I was making hiring decisions I was always impressed with the unsolicited application from someone who was trying to convince me that they were perfect for a specific job. There were times I'd call these folks in for an interview and, on some occasions, might even create a new position - one I didn't know was needed before they described it for me!
Be pro-active when job-seeking. Just sayin'.....

Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 PM

44 posts, read 108,356 times
I agree with GreatSantaFe. Also, since you feel you would be content working in many different fields, taking a couple days to walk around either Santa Fe or Taos would be a good idea. Explore some local businesses and walk into any place that looks, sounds, or feels interesting. Based on my experience, you'll have a better chance of finding a job that suits you if you talk in-person to business owners and get a feel for their establishments. That could prove more effective than sending your resume online--but you may already know that. Just throwing that out there. It's helped me score two jobs in the past that I loved.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM

It's a GreatResponse, GreatSantaFe, but to a different post. Thanks though.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the response, bongo - that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for in this post. You actually read posts and respond to what is said in them.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 PM

974 posts, read 2,352,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo333 View Post
It's a GreatResponse, GreatSantaFe, but to a different post. Thanks though.
Gee thanks gmo333. I'll try not to be insulted.
I actually tried to give a helpful answer to your specific post. Guess I read more into your question than you asked for. Let me try to correct my mistake:
I my opinion, if you were to leave your home today and walk in to establishments where you'd like to work, whether in Santa Fe or Taos, your chances would either be 0% or 100% depending on (1) whether that specific place had an opening and (2) how well you came off in the interview. That percentage would be the same with each door you went in to. There are more such doors in Santa Fe than in Taos. At the risk of going beyond your question, I'll add that this time of year there may be seasonal opportunities in the restaurant/lodging industry in Taos Ski Valley that could translate into longer-lasting positions once you get your foot in the door. There are probably similar seasonal opportunities in Santa Fe.
Good luck!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 PM

See, that wasn't so hard. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM

195 posts, read 422,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo333 View Post
See, that wasn't so hard. Thanks.
Wow. You have some nerve. The dude actually was helping you, and he even explained himself further to satisfy you.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 PM

45 posts, read 106,636 times
I agree Disco Inferno.
Carry that snarky attitude into a job interview and I'd say the chances of finding a job are zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe