Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 AM

62 posts, read 263,557 times

Advertisements

This forum has been very useful for me since I came to Santa Fe a year ago.
I have a few questions regarding renting a house in Santa Fe.
We decided to try to rent a house (two or three bedrooms) with a monthly rent around $1200.
I remember there are a few very useful posts regarding general housing market in Santa Fe but I'm wondering if there is any particular area in Santa Fe which has a favourable rental housing.
Also I'm looking at craigslist for the possible rentals but I'm wondering if there is any other place I need to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I'd like to read comments on this too. I hope you won't mind my piggybacking, but I'm interested in a 3 bedroom (two bath?) with a garage and a yard suitable for a dog, and not in a "bad" neighborhood. I'm curious what that might cost, and also would you have to lease or could you go month to month?

I'm so fed up with the housing market, and can't stand living in Los Angeles much longer. I'm even thinking of renting out my house and then renting one in Santa Fe, to see if I like SF enough to move there. A rental would be a nice way of finding out, fun even if I don't decide to stay. One problem with the rent-rent situation is that any rental income I receive is taxable, but the house in SF would not be deductible. Perhaps I'll be lucky and discover that I can rent my LA house for more than the SF house would cost.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:19 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,445 times
Craigslist is the best resource, for longer term rentals, along with the daily New Mexican's online ads. The best firm in town, I'd say, for renting is Kokopelli - their website will give you a great idea of pricing. Their website is kokoproperty.com - for long term rentals, go to: Home
The rental market here is soft at the moment, because many owners don't want to sell into this market - so the well-qualified renter is in a strong position.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,445 times
Regarding areas, there are of course rentals available all around town. Best values in town are probably around Rodeo Road. Out of town, Rancho Viejo has good rental pricing at the moment.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
You should also check out Eldorado, as several owners in that community don't want to sell at depressed prices and so are willing to consider renting. My only problem with Kokopelli is that their rental properties tend to be fairly expensive. You might look at the classifieds in the Sunday edition of The New Mexican as I see many rentals advertised there.
Another suggestion would be to ask Realtors in town. Although many of us do not do property management, we do know of available rentals (many of which are owned by fellow Realtors) and most would be glad to assist you in the hope that they will earn your business if/when you decide to buy here.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
santafescribe and Great Santa Fe -- reputation points for both of you for all the help you give in answering questions on the board!!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM

Thanks Towanda. As I see it, that is one of the prime purposes of this forum (helping others), and what makes it a valuable resource (I hope).
And as good as we may be, you are the Master of helpful information (or should I say Mistress?)!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:47 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Madame? LOL

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Ah, mais oui, biensur. Je suis tres desole Madame......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe