Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM

11 posts, read 28,580 times

Advertisements

Well thanks Cali-girl, it's nice not to be met with hostility. Maybe you're right, maybe it's realtors. I thought it was just a "be mean to the new girl thing." Glad your husband survived his crosswalk close calls in SF. It does get hairy downtown .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,038,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyto View Post
Well thanks Cali-girl, it's nice not to be met with hostility. Maybe you're right, maybe it's realtors. I thought it was just a "be mean to the new girl thing." Glad your husband survived his crosswalk close calls in SF. It does get hairy downtown .
Wendy, I just do not see where anyone has been mean to you.

Or to Cali-Girl for that matter.

It's NOT "the realtors." They do a great job here at this forum offering valuable information.

And it's not a "be mean to the new girl thing." People are just reacting to what you have posted. Simple as that.

Generally people here get back exactly what they dish out.

Maybe you should post more than 7 times and just observe for a while before coming to this forum all negative and hostile and preaching to people who have been here posting for an awfully long time.

Or you can stay angry and defensive and probably not like the reaction you get.

Up to you.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 PM

137 posts, read 475,321 times
griffy 99 is out there, but I understand the sentiments.
Santa Fe is fabulous and beautiful and there is no doubt that I would live there in half a second.
However, I would not wrap up my dreams in ANY city. I love Santa Fe, but I would think thrice before moving there....as griffy 99 says, it is expensive. However, it is unique and the only place I have found that feels comfortable and life does not need to be on the super highway of life. I might be a hippy, but in the most respectful way possible.
Is it really dirty? Hm.... I have seen so much worse in smaller and bigger cities.
In a sentence, I LOVE SANTA FE!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,746,734 times
Quote:
The only thing was that my husband was nearly run over 2 times by drivers who were anxious to enter the crosswalk to make their right turn, even though we had the green light. In Cali, this offense would be considered Assault and is an arrestable offense.
I would not call that a Santa Fe phenomenon. That stuff happens in big cities and small towns all over the world.

In addition, I personally do not hate or dislike tourist. 99% of tourist are very friendly. It helps the city to be vibrant and remain marketable.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,406,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
As you probably noticed, this particular Forum does not take kindly to opinions expressed other than anything "positive."

The only thing was that my husband was nearly run over 2 times by drivers who were anxious to enter the crosswalk to make their right turn, even though we had the green light. In Cali, this offense would be considered Assault and is an arrestable offense.

Afterwards, a friendly Las Crucan told me that "Santa Feans despise tourists". I wouldn't be quick to lump all Santa Feans in this category, nonetheless, we won't be returning any time soon. Everyone has their own experiences and this was ours and I hope that my experience will be respected and not bashed.
~Cali-girl
I don't agree with you about only positive here--I've posted the negative sides to Santa Fe and haven't been bashed. I've talked in one thread about my experiences as a pedestrian here (almost getting run over) versus Seattle where they stop if it looks like you're going to step into the street and give tickets for not yielding the right of way to pedestrians. LOL--I'd love to see just once someone get a ticket for scaring the s...t out of me when I forget that the walk sign means walk with caution! It's how you say the negative things, if you make broad vague negative statements you should be called on it--give more specifics where you come up with the statements otherwise you sound bitter and unbelievable. Actually broad positive statements are also more informative if you say what it is you like.

We do have a little fun with the tourists because they tend to be self absorbed with their fun experiences and forget this city isn't all about them--that people live here for other reasons other than to serve as the DisneyWorld of the Southwest. Better to keep a sense of humor about it then hate them, which I haven't personally seen. Sometimes I say hi to people on the street and sometimes I don't. I'm sure that's no different than anywhere else. Often I see bad customer service but it's not just tourist that suffer from that and it's also anywhere I go in any state. Would we prefer to have more industry based on something other than tourism? Personally I would since the tourism doesn't pay squat and if I lose my job I'll have to move and I like living here. On the other side, there is always something to do probably because of the tourism. Mixed bag.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM

332 posts, read 1,036,979 times
Default Answering Your Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissedgwick View Post
Tierra de zia
Tuscany at St. Francis
The bluffs at tierra contenta
Dos Santos

...Also if anyone has any good opportunities or ideas(living outside of town, some secret northern santa fe rentals) i would be much obliged.
chris
Moderator cut: Advertising and self promotion not permitted per Terms Of Service
While the last 6 pages of comments have been fun - and of course I always appreciate the realtor digs. Anyway, my thoughts on the apartments are -

Tierra de Zia - good location, several properties for sale there, good landscaping
Zia Vista - not on your list, but near Tierra de Zia. Good pool, more 'traditional' apt complex, can be tough to sell there as there's always someone who will list cheaper. So, therefore, good bargains for buyers. Well managed.
Tuscany - my understanding is that it's rental only. Well managed, good location
Dos Santos - personally I like this property, mainly because of the layout and open feel. Mixed quality of apartments -- I mean mixed, as some of the blocks are well finished. Good pricing.
Bluffs - I don't know enough about this.
Others to consider:
The Reserve - northside, so more expensive, but closer to town than the ones above.
San Mateo - nice complex, go for newer units - walking distance to Trader Joe's ;-+

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-08-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM

332 posts, read 1,036,979 times
Also, as ever, Santa Fe Craigslist is a great source for FSBOs and last-minute rentals.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM

253 posts, read 1,132,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyto View Post
Hi wendyto!

You "hit the nail on the head" with your observations.

btw, this situation has been going on for some time, which is why I don't post in the NM Forums any more (except for very recently and even then, what you see will be pretty much *it*.)

One last thing: the open hostility of certain segments of Santa Fe has become more and more evident to Californians. I don't have to say anything...when I say "New Mexico," there is a noticeable pause in conversations with fellow Californians and I can just feel the heaviness.

There was a recent show on satellite showing a Californian subjected to emotional abuse in Albuquerque - I think that is having a lot of play.
In any event, word is apparently getting around and its not good.

Aging boomers generally are the ones retiring to Santa Fe. And they're the ones who principally post hostile comments on this Forum.
Whatever. Californians will continue to read stuff like this and will choose to avoid doing the tourist thing or buying property here. Sometimes, consequences are far worse than we can ever imagine.

Sorry, one more: Cali has Rancho Santa Fe in northern San Diego County. People who want the architecture without leaving CA are buying there.

Best to you,
~Cali-girl

Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the humor in this situation. The "smilies" you chose are completely inappropriate. However, maybe that was the intent.

~Cali-girl (sister to a US Marshall)

Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,228,935 times
Rancho Santa Fe?

That sounds awful. Please stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe