Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophob View Post
Hi!

If you were me, which area would you pack up and relocate to?

I know this is a vague question...

What are positive things about santa fe? what are negative things?
I have picked up and relocated over 10 times... But yes it is a vague question and I don't know you what you really what and what you can really accomplish and of course can you afford it?

There are plenty of threads on the pro and con's.

For me advantages of Santa Fe? Cooler in the Summer, more forests, closer to Colorado which has some nice areas.

For me disdvantages of Santa Fe? More expensive than I want to spend, further from two of my grandchildren.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 36,527 times
Cold winter, expensive housing, restaurants mostly Mexican (sorry, I'm just not a fan ), very little shopping other than galleries and tourist places. Those are my negatives.

Lots of sun, met really great people here (all are recent transplants like myself), Trader Joes. Those are my plusses.

Very monochromatic (as in brown, grey). That goes either way. It is easy on the senses, but sometimes you like a little color .

Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,041,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greycar View Post
restaurants mostly Mexican (sorry, I'm just not a fan ),
In Santa Fe?

Far more of our restaurants are New Mexican than Mexican.

Last edited by Towanda; 04-10-2009 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 36,527 times
[quote=Towanda;8283017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greycar View Post
restaurants mostly Mexican (sorry, I'm just not a fan ),
QUOTE]

In Santa Fe?

Far more of our restaurants are New Mexican than Mexican.
There's a difference? I've only been here a few months. My main concern is cooking with lard. Do you know if NM food is that?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM

My daughter is a vegetarian and she won't eat anything cooked with lard, and she always checks before she eats at any restaurant.

She was able to eat at all the restaurants we picked when she was here last December.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Gustavsen View Post
Sf F is essentially an extremely well marketed High Sierra Spanish-Mexican theme park. It gets old fast unless you have family here or are passionately involved in the arts or the reactionary radical left wing scene.
I don't have family here and am not passionately involved in the arts and am certainly not involved in the reactionary radical left wing scene .... and I love it here and don't expect that to change. I have really not found it to be a High Sierra Spanish-Mexican theme park. To me it is just a very interesting city in which I am enjoying my life.

E Gustavsen -- it seems to me that you deal in generalities -- at least you seem to be making an awfully lot of assumptions about Santa Fe.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,255,581 times
Towanda,

If you enjoy it that is all that matters. To each their own! Don't listen to his ****. Maybe you will get lucky and he will leave the area.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Not sure why that would make me "lucky." I don't know him and don't really care one way or the other.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 32,366 times
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".

Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM

293 posts, read 972,916 times
Yes, there's actually a big difference between New Mexican food and Mexican. New Mexican relies heavily on foods that have historically been grown here such as squash, beans, corn, chili, etc. Typical dishes are calabacitas (fried and stewed zucchini and other squashes), posole (hominy corn stew), carne adovada (pork in red chili sauce), and sopapillas (fried bread served with honey - so yummy), among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe