Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM

19 posts, read 70,306 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to make a move to Northern Calif.
Currently we live in Santa Barbara, Southern Calif.

After much searching we have chosen to stay in state (for now) and narrowed things down the Los Gatos area or Santa Rosa area. All we know about them is what you could tell by driving around.
Loved Los Gatos but $$$$? What about the people? I heard that can have that "I'm better than you attitude".

We are 30's, no kids yet. Looking for a place with commuting distance of high tech work. House with a yard would be nice. Bookstore, cafe something fun to do on the weekends without horrific crowds.

Our current area is filling up with 'affordable' housing, graffiti and gangs.
I know everywhere has it problems but those are some things we'd really like to get away from. I hear both San Jose and Santa Rosa have some areas you need to stay out of.

Sebastopol looked cute? thoughts? Petaluma? Occidental?

We looked at Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill...seemed to be a bit to cookie cutter. Looked like somebody opened up a "build a city" kit... and so crowded.

Just looking to rent right now until we decided on a permanent landing place.

If you have more questions about our situation that helps make the advice more precise.

Thanks is advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM

25 posts, read 201,203 times
Los Gatos is a bit too close to South San Jose for comfort. For that area and price range I would look at Saratoga instead.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM

136 posts, read 463,728 times
How about Monterey area? Yeah, there will be some elitists but it's very safe and clean.

Sebastopol seems pretty good as far as not being "Ghetto" however, it's a lot more "Hippy" than SB. Are you ready or interested in those types of people?

Also, what about Marin County? Is that too crowded for you?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,356,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Patrick View Post
Los Gatos is a bit too close to South San Jose for comfort. For that area and price range I would look at Saratoga instead.
Did I miss something? Since when does south SJ have a reputation of that nature?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I love Monterey & Carmel (Pacific Grove too)...love love love...we have actually looked there, but I think the commute into a high-tech area for work would be beastly, yes?

We looked at Marin County- loved Mill Valley- but not much to rent there and it's kind of packed in. Is it New Agey or is it my imagination. Not really into the whole crystals and feng shui bit.

Novato seemed..well..not for us anyway.
Larkspur? Corte Madera?
I heard San Rafael can be rough. True?

Hippy people: they smoke pot, dont shave or bathe, and let their kids run around w/o a diaper in the stores? or 'wanna be hippy': green people, solar powered homes, community garden, recycling, self sufficient? Wanna Be's I'm okay with.

What's in South San Jose? Ghetto & Gangs?
How about Mountain View area or SunnyVale? Milipitas?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Los Gatos is an affluent contiguous suburb of the general Bay Area sprawl (sprawl that is in a U shape from the Golden Gate down to Coyote Valley then back up in multiple tendrils through the East and North(east) Bay, check out a satellite image).

Santa Rosa is actually (barely) separated from the contiguous sprawl and is less expensive overall than Los Gatos for comparable properties in comparable demographics. Santa Rosa also spans a wider set of economic strata than Los Gatos.

Long, long term Santa Rosa may appreciate more.

Los Gatos is going to be an older demographic with more empty nesters (although more and more folks are retiring in Santa Rosa, but I still view it as a "family town").

Los Gatos is closer to and more influenced by the "Santa Cruz vibe" (just over the hill) whereas Santa Rosa is more influenced by the "wine country vibe."

Los Gatos sort of pretends SF does not exist (except for the more special nights out) whereas Santa Rosa tends to still cling somewhat to commuting (50 miles!) into The City.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Thank You BayArea HillBilly.
I'll have to check that out on a sat. map.

Why does Los Gatos pretend SF doesn't exist?

I guess Santa Cruz vibe is more lively and wine country vibe is more laid back?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaney View Post
Thank You BayArea HillBilly.
Why does Los Gatos pretend SF doesn't exist?
Really my own turn of phrase. Los Gatos people are not commuters to the City and rarely seek it out for nightlife, cultural events, etc. Whereas, to pick another comparable place further up the Peninsula, Woodside people may well commute to the City and even if they don't will go to the Opera, etc. Los Gatos is firmly esconced in South Bay / San Jose separateness.

Quote:
I guess Santa Cruz vibe is more lively and wine country vibe is more laid back?
More like, surf and granola versus faux Euro / Provence.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Zaney,
I suggest looking at Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda.(In between Oakland and Walnut Creek) Its an area also known as Lamorinda. It costs about the same if not a little less than Los Gatos but I think it has everything you are looking for.

Another huge plus is that Orinda and Lafayette each have their own BART stations.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Zaney,
I suggest looking at Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda.(In between Oakland and Walnut Creek) Its an area also known as Lamorinda. It costs about the same if not a little less than Los Gatos but I think it has everything you are looking for.

Another huge plus is that Orinda and Lafayette each have their own BART stations.
Excellent point. There you have the oak studded hill sides and a more mellow version of the genteel vibe that one also tends to find in Los Gatos (not to mention SB / Montecito, but obviously no beach). And as you note very convenient to the inner East Bay and the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose