Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,700 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 31 year old female relocating to SF/Bay Area to work in downtown Palo Alto. I'm coming from NYC, but have lived all over (Chicago, Denver, Durham, LA). I'm not crazy about expensive urban living, I'm over my late drunk bar night party days, and am fine doing the suburban thing, but I want a social and *activities* scene. Here's what I'm looking for:

- other singles to socialize with (preferably professional single males in their early to mid 30s also looking to date)
- abundance of activities/things to do (gyms, social and sports groups, artsy classes, outdoorsy stuff, shopping, nightlife) - both to meet people and also for my own personal interests

I want to make South Bay as much as I can and prefer not to commute from the city. I've heard downtown Palo Alto, Mountain View, or Santana Row have what I'm looking for. Basically, I just want to know that as a single woman, I'm going to be able to meet people, date, and create a social network in the "burbs." Thoughts? How do single professionals meet others? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,284 times
mod cut. From your preferences sounds like you belong in Palo Alto. However, there you won't be able to completely escape "expensive urban living", just the urban part.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-22-2013 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: thread moved

Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM

23,525 posts, read 24,006,421 times
San Mateo and Los Gatos would also be good places to check out. On the weekend, Downtown Walnut Creek also.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 AM

310 posts, read 686,901 times
Dating for single guys here is difficult. Dating for single women is difficult, too. For women, the phrase, "The odds are good but the goods are odd," might apply.

Many guys are already married by their early 30s. Of divorced guys, many keep to themselves and don't date. Of the single guys, many are nerds who work long hours, play video games and don't date. Many of the single guys that do date talk about how much money they make and think that women are only after their money. It's all pretty hostile to dating.

I think that there are gyms, social and sports groups, artsy classes, outdoorsy stuff and shopping. But, if you expect to date, I'd say to concentrate on your career and don't be surprised if you have a long dry spell.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
Dating for single guys here is difficult. Dating for single women is difficult, too. For women, the phrase, "The odds are good but the goods are odd," might apply.

Many guys are already married by their early 30s. Of divorced guys, many keep to themselves and don't date. Of the single guys, many are nerds who work long hours, play video games and don't date. Many of the single guys that do date talk about how much money they make and think that women are only after their money. It's all pretty hostile to dating.

I think that there are gyms, social and sports groups, artsy classes, outdoorsy stuff and shopping. But, if you expect to date, I'd say to concentrate on your career and don't be surprised if you have a long dry spell.
And for OP, just in case you're a bit confused, the above goes for the entire Bay Area, not just the South Bay. And obviously, it's nowhere as bad as the above poster made it sound.

Some of us likes to sensationalize the "all work, no play" aspect of the Bay Area, but it really is up to you. I find that social people will always have dates. People who has a "go get them" attitude will always have dates, and not just dates, but other things in life as well

Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJakob View Post
I'm a single 31 year old female relocating to SF/Bay Area to work in downtown Palo Alto. I'm coming from NYC, but have lived all over (Chicago, Denver, Durham, LA). I'm not crazy about expensive urban living, I'm over my late drunk bar night party days, and am fine doing the suburban thing, but I want a social and *activities* scene. Here's what I'm looking for:

- other singles to socialize with (preferably professional single males in their early to mid 30s also looking to date)
- abundance of activities/things to do (gyms, social and sports groups, artsy classes, outdoorsy stuff, shopping, nightlife) - both to meet people and also for my own personal interests
Wow, you're assuming you'll have a lot of free time on your hands.

If you want all that free time, you'll almost have to have (1) a short commute, (2) a commute by carpool in which you don't drive or (3) a commute by public transit as when you drive a prolonged commute in stop & go traffic, it drains not only your time but your energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJakob View Post
I want to make South Bay as much as I can and prefer not to commute from the city. I've heard downtown Palo Alto, Mountain View, or Santana Row have what I'm looking for. Basically, I just want to know that as a single woman, I'm going to be able to meet people, date, and create a social network in the "burbs." Thoughts? How do single professionals meet others? Thanks in advance!!
If you want a vibrant single 30-something scene, you want SF. That's the demography who can afford to live there and do so, many of whom have already lived in the south bay to be close to work but got so bored that they moved to SF.

If you want to live in the south bay, you'll find most 30-somethings there/here are married and raising families. Downtown Palo Alto and Downtown Mountain View are both tiny, especially the latter. Santana Row is a nice artifice but you may or may not like the men you meet there. IMO, they're all inferior to SF.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Wow, you're assuming you'll have a lot of free time on your hands.

If you want all that free time, you'll almost have to have (1) a short commute, (2) a commute by carpool in which you don't drive or (3) a commute by public transit as when you drive a prolonged commute in stop & go traffic, it drains not only your time but your energy.

If you want a vibrant single 30-something scene, you want SF. That's the demography who can afford to live there and do so, many of whom have already lived in the south bay to be close to work but got so bored that they moved to SF.

If you want to live in the south bay, you'll find most 30-somethings there/here are married and raising families. Downtown Palo Alto and Downtown Mountain View are both tiny, especially the latter. Santana Row is a nice artifice but you may or may not like the men you meet there. IMO, they're all inferior to SF.
All the men are inferior to SF, or you're referring to the area/scene?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM

310 posts, read 686,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
And for OP, just in case you're a bit confused, the above goes for the entire Bay Area, not just the South Bay. And obviously, it's nowhere as bad as the above poster made it sound.

Some of us likes to sensationalize the "all work, no play" aspect of the Bay Area, but it really is up to you. I find that social people will always have dates. People who has a "go get them" attitude will always have dates, and not just dates, but other things in life as well
I did say that it is difficult, not hopeless. If she likes the geeky type, so much the better.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM

It's not even difficult.

I never had any issues with dating and I live in the South Bay all my life. Granted, I have a car and I use it a lot throughout the entire region. But I dated just as many folks in the SF area as I dated in the Oakland area as I dated in the San Jose area.

And I'm not even a social guy. It helps to have many circles of acquaintances, and you just got to say Hi and smile more often, drop the ego **** and everything will be a-OK.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
MissJakob, I'm a bit older than you, and I've been able to make the South Bay work. It's taken a bit of effort, but I've been able to build a fairly rich social life. There are pockets that are more urban, and where you're more likely to either find singletons or DINKS.

I thought about living in SF, and was sorely tempted, but ultimately, I didn't want the commute - I decided I'd have a better QoL if I lived closer to work. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the South Bay isn't all 100% suburbia. It's not SF, but it's not exactly Pleasantville, either. And if you I want to go up to SF for a night or a weekend, it's a pretty short trip.

I'd call the vibe more "Work Hard, Play Hard" than "All Work and No Play." Dating and making friendships is definitely doable, but you may find you have to work at it a bit harder. (I've had my best luck dating people who have been introduced to me by coworkers and people in my professional network, but YMMV.)

I've also had luck meeting people (friends as well as romantic interests) by getting involved in things -- I'm very passionate about the arts, so I looked for social and volunteer opportunities related to museums and theatre. If you're into sports, outdoors stuff, etc, there's a plethora of that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose