Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 PM

11 posts, read 61,382 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I've been made a job offer in Cupertino (office will be moving to Mountain View end of the year) and I'm debating whether to take it. I currently live in New York as a 30 something single professional female with no kids or pets.

My concerns about the move are income and lifestyle change. Can anyone share their perspectives on how far $121k may go in the Bay Area? For e.g., how much would a 1BR apartment be rented out for in Palo Alto, Cupertino or Mountain View?

While I don't expect the Bay Area to be NY, I'm still quite a city girl (love buzz, energy, can maneuver through crowds) and would like to live (initially at least, to get me oriented in my new environment) where there is more of a singles, professional, "within my age group" kind of scene, with amenities such as yoga, running/ hiking trails, eclectic restaurants, bars (jazz, live bands would be great!), farmers' markets or grocery stores, that is also reasonable distance from work (hence San Francisco is out). What areas should I consider, as a result? Would these areas be served by the Caltrain?

I hope to do more surfing, get out on the hiking trails more and get a dog too when I get there. Stuff that I won't be able to do here in NY.

As I hope to make this more of a permanent move (I've lived all over since young and want to start putting down some roots), I've to consider sustainability (hard to imagine my NY life being sustainable). Who here has made that transition from NYC to the Bay Area and what are your thoughts? What would life look like in the Bay Area for someone like me who's also looking to settle down? I'm pretty realistic and know not to compare it with NY but I'd like to imagine that it's not all suburban, is it?

Thanks so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpaws75 View Post
Hi there,

I've been made a job offer in Cupertino (office will be moving to Mountain View end of the year) and I'm debating whether to take it. I currently live in New York as a 30 something single professional female with no kids or pets.

My concerns about the move are income and lifestyle change. Can anyone share their perspectives on how far $121k may go in the Bay Area? For e.g., how much would a 1BR apartment be rented out for in Palo Alto, Cupertino or Mountain View?

While I don't expect the Bay Area to be NY, I'm still quite a city girl (love buzz, energy, can maneuver through crowds) and would like to live (initially at least, to get me oriented in my new environment) where there is more of a singles, professional, "within my age group" kind of scene, with amenities such as yoga, running/ hiking trails, eclectic restaurants, bars (jazz, live bands would be great!), farmers' markets or grocery stores, that is also reasonable distance from work (hence San Francisco is out). What areas should I consider, as a result? Would these areas be served by the Caltrain?

I hope to do more surfing, get out on the hiking trails more and get a dog too when I get there. Stuff that I won't be able to do here in NY.

As I hope to make this more of a permanent move (I've lived all over since young and want to start putting down some roots), I've to consider sustainability (hard to imagine my NY life being sustainable). Who here has made that transition from NYC to the Bay Area and what are your thoughts? What would life look like in the Bay Area for someone like me who's also looking to settle down? I'm pretty realistic and know not to compare it with NY but I'd like to imagine that it's not all suburban, is it?

First don't have any pre conceived notions that the Peninsula is anything like New York, because its just not, however it does have its perks , along with its downsides. Judging by some of your criteria, the area does sound like a decent match, there is an ample array of outdoor activities that are 15 minutes or less from anywhere on the Peninsuila/South bay,lush nature ect. Weath of good dining options, from cheapy ethnic to high end, yoga studios are quite common as well. Most Peninsula cities have their own unique farmers markets that are sources of great produce and a fun little vibe all their own. Great places you may like may be West San Jose,Palo Alto, Mountain View, all located near your potential place of employment.

Resources:
Services,parts,dining ect- http://www.yelp.com
Real estate - Craigs List- craigslist: SF bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Lay of the land-
San Francisco Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Transit- caltrain.com
Caltrain runs the Peninsulia from San Jose directly into San Francisco.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Just be aware you're not going to get much of a buzz anywhere in the South Bay/Peninsula, so that will be an adjustment. Palo Alto would probably be your best fit. I'm not sure what a 1BR would rent for there, but I'm guessing you could find something for $1400 a month??? Personally, if you can handle a little less buzz, I think Mountain View is a better overall value for the money, and it's right next to Palo Alto.

Mountain View and Palo Alto are served by Caltrain but Cupertino is not. Beware also, CalTrain is facing huge budget cuts and even current service levels are nothing to brag about.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Thanks guys for your quick responses! Yeah, I am not expecting the Peninsular to offer the same things as NY and that's why I'm evaluating whether I'm ready for the lifestyle change. However, there are things in my life that I care about that I'm sure the Peninsular will afford, but on what scale and in what form and manner are the questions. For e.g., quality yoga studios, access to the arts (museums, galleries, indie theaters, live music, jazz clubs), eclectic restaurants, the types of people I can expect to meet etc., etc.

I'm not too outdoorsy and while I enjoy the occasional hike (though not really a camper or rock climber or mountain biker) and love the water (surfing, wake boarding, swimming), my life has been more about yoga, books and music, and copious amounts of coffee and wine, lazing or running in the sun, in the park, roaming the streets (farmers' markets are great too) and catching a movie or a band with friends as evening falls.

What access can I have to some semblence of this life, living in PA or MV? Is it easy to meet people or are folks there clicquey?

Oh yes, I heard about the Caltrain. So I guess it's all about driving for me then.

Thanks once again!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for your quick responses! Yeah, I am not expecting the Peninsular to offer the same things as NY and that's why I'm evaluating whether I'm ready for the lifestyle change. However, there are things in my life that I care about that I'm sure the Peninsular will afford, but on what scale and in what form and manner are the questions. For e.g., quality yoga studios, access to the arts (museums, galleries, indie theaters, live music, jazz clubs), eclectic restaurants, the types of people I can expect to meet etc., etc.

I'm not too outdoorsy and while I enjoy the occasional hike (though not really a camper or rock climber or mountain biker) and love the water (surfing, wake boarding, swimming), my life has been more about yoga, books and music, and copious amounts of coffee and wine, lazing or running in the sun, in the park, roaming the streets (farmers' markets are great too) and catching a movie or a band with friends as evening falls.

What access can I have to some semblence of this life, living in PA or MV? Is it easy to meet people or are folks there clicquey?

Oh yes, I heard about the Caltrain. So I guess it's all about driving for me then.

Thanks once again!
Almost everything you want can be enjoyed here, fly out and check it out. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM

16 posts, read 62,804 times
For e.g., quality yoga studios, access to the arts (museums, galleries, indie theaters, live music, jazz clubs), eclectic restaurants, the types of people I can expect to meet etc., etc. Great place for all that and the vibe here for that mantra surpasses NY in all ways.

I am a New Yorker living in SJ. I love all the outdoorsy type things here. But the city energy is just non existent. Even in SF I don't get the energy. The pace here is far far slower. I've lived all over the world and there is no place in the world quite like NY so I would consider that heavily before leaving. Forget about being a pedestrian here, it's just not the same as in NY. If you come here, be prepared to embrace the car culture. On a brighter note, people in CA aren't as cautious as NY'ers so it's easy to make superficial friendships that may or may not develop into something fruitful. And get your smile ready...practice it in the mirror. Everyone smiles here. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyce View Post
For e.g., quality yoga studios, access to the arts (museums, galleries, indie theaters, live music, jazz clubs), eclectic restaurants, the types of people I can expect to meet etc., etc. Great place for all that and the vibe here for that mantra surpasses NY in all ways.

I am a New Yorker living in SJ. I love all the outdoorsy type things here. But the city energy is just non existent. Even in SF I don't get the energy. The pace here is far far slower. I've lived all over the world and there is no place in the world quite like NY so I would consider that heavily before leaving. Forget about being a pedestrian here, it's just not the same as in NY. If you come here, be prepared to embrace the car culture. On a brighter note, people in CA aren't as cautious as NY'ers so it's easy to make superficial friendships that may or may not develop into something fruitful. And get your smile ready...practice it in the mirror. Everyone smiles here. Good luck.
No one is really comparing it to New York, California,the Bay Area are just different animals, so accept what it has to offer or move somewhere else. I would urge the op to visit and draw their own conclusions.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM

16 posts, read 62,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
No one is really comparing it to New York, California,the Bay Area are just different animals, so accept what it has to offer or move somewhere else. I would urge the op to visit and draw their own conclusions.

Precisely. I agree - visit and then make a judgement call. My experience with many NY'ers that come to CA is either they love it or hate it. It's a totally different beast.

I'm not sure you're a native New Yorker, my hunch is that you aren't so you will probably adapt here just fine.

So sensitive the people on this board. tsk tsk.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
my life has been more about yoga, books and music, and copious amounts of coffee and wine, lazing or running in the sun, in the park, roaming the streets (farmers' markets are great too) and catching a movie or a band with friends as evening falls.

If those are really the things most important to you, then you should be fine. I'd say Palo Alto is better for those things. But some people complain Palo Alto is kinda snobby. It's also somewhat more expensive than Mountain View. The advantage of Mountain View is that it has it's own cute little downtown, plus convenient access to Palo Alto's (5 or 10 minutes in the car), since MV is next door to PA...and it's cheaper than PA.

But it's like others say, you have to come out and check things out for yourself. Some people don't realize how much they miss the stuff where they lived previously until they don't have it any more.

If you are a reasonably outgoing person, I don't think you'll have too much trouble meeting people. I think the biggest obstacles to meeting people here are that everyone is busy working. And as you get into your 30s, more people are married/have kids, so they're busy with that. But those are the same kinds of issues you have in New York as well. Also, my sister, who has lived in NYC and California, has noted that people in California can be flaky about keeping appointments, especially if a group is involved. She tells me that's a big taboo in New York, but it isn't so much in CA, as long as you don't do it all the time. So you might need to be prepared for a lack of definitiveness that you don't encounter in New York.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 AM

Chrisnyce and Calisnuffy, thanks for your suggest of checking it out and deciding after. I have actually visited the area but I don't think I can really know how life will pan out until I'ved lived there. Further, I am not comparing it with NY as NY is on its own level. I'm not a native NY-er, but I've lived in many major cities around the world (London, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc etc) and it's mostly what I know.

However, I've also lived in Houston - slower, not pretty at all and arts offering is limited. Even though friends sustained me, I had to get out after a few years. The Bay Area / SV is greatly different from Houston altogether, and certainly more up my alley with its range of intellectual / artsy / outdoor offerings I just need to know what and how to prepare for, coming from a city like NY.

Mysticaltyger, thanks for the tip on flakiness and smile. That's too funny, but I guess it does go with the more laid back culture of Cali?? I may scare folks away being high energy, always multi-tasking and needing stimulation, LOL!

This is one of the hardest decisions I'll have to make. Sigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose