Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,728,838 times

Advertisements

New story about the June 22 Road Rage story that I just read from the Chronicle:

"The man charged with killing a father and two sons on a San Francisco street last month was one of the youths who benefited from the city's long-standing practice of shielding illegal immigrant juveniles who committed felonies from possible deportation, The Chronicle has learned.

Edwin Ramos, now 21, is being held on three counts of murder in the June 22 deaths of Tony Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16. They were shot near their home in the Excelsior district when Tony Bologna, driving home from a family picnic, briefly blocked the gunman's car from completing a left turn down a narrow street, police say.

Ramos, a native of El Salvador whom prosecutors say is a member of a violent street gang, was found guilty of two felonies as a juvenile - a gang-related assault on a Muni passenger and the attempted robbery of a pregnant woman - according to authorities familiar with his background.

In neither instance did officials with the city's Juvenile Probation Department alert federal immigration authorities, because it was the city agency's policy not to consider immigration status when deciding how to deal with an offender. Had city officials investigated, they would have found that Ramos lacked legal status to remain in the United States....."

Full story:

Slaying suspect once found sanctuary in S.F.

And of course there is more crap related to this policy SF had until the public was made aware of it: 3 more juvenile migrant drug dealers escape

And just in case any one forget the 8 crack dealers SF dumped down in San Bernardino that escaped, which is the story that exposed this whole policy: 8 crack dealers shielded by S.F. walk away

I just find this incredibly appalling and it's even worse that some of the policies of SF can affect places outside its city limits. I don't think it matters how liberal, consevative, moderate, or whatever you are but this is just wrong no matter how you look at it. And to think the man that runs this city that allows stuff like this to happen wants to run for governor?? This is what SF's pretty boy mayor is allowing to be done under his watch. I love SF but some of their incredbily backwards policies are ruining that city by endangering it's residents and even those that live outside the city limits. I don't understand how the city can keep electing these people that allow this to happen.

Last edited by sav858; 07-19-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 11:32 PM

595 posts, read 2,310,538 times
That should be a real wake-up call. I lived in Arizona for 10 years and never heard of MS-13 until I moved to Virginia. I hope they're not giving these people jobs as airport security.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,307,483 times
I understand why you're angry about this -- but Newsom isn't the one to blame. He was elected in 2003, and inaugurated in 2004... and Ramo's first run in and "forgiveness" was in 2003... obviously this policy had already been in use.

And Newsom's now forced them to change the policy.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I understand why you're angry about this -- but Newsom isn't the one to blame. He was elected in 2003, and inaugurated in 2004... and Ramo's first run in and "forgiveness" was in 2003... obviously this policy had already been in use.

I wasn't blaming just Newsom, although he is the only once I called out specifically, but the DA and just the city govt in general that has allowed this to happen. Even if Newsom was unaware of this policy until recently ignorance is not an excuse, it occurred under his watch so he'll have to take the blame whether he really deserves it or not.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,788,283 times
I'm not surprised at all.

San Francisco crazy politics at it's BEST!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 PM

66 posts, read 212,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

Mayor Newsom could change it if he wanted to. Shocker - he's the Mayor. And everything he's done since he's been in office falls in line with the rest of it.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,307,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk1 View Post
Mayor Newsom could change it if he wanted to. Shocker - he's the Mayor. And everything he's done since he's been in office falls in line with the rest of it.
He did change the policy -- he changed it on May 16th.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,531,513 times
Edwin Ramos hasn't been found guilty yet and there is a Forum for discussing immigration under Politics and Other Controversies. The nice thing about having that area for topics like these is that people like me who don't want to participate in racist diatribes can just not go to that area of the Forums.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Edwin Ramos hasn't been found guilty yet and there is a Forum for discussing immigration under Politics and Other Controversies. The nice thing about having that area for topics like these is that people like me who don't want to participate in racist diatribes can just not go to that area of the Forums.
racist diatribe? There is nothing racist about this thread or any post in it. This isn't even about race at all and there is no mention of it but nice try in trying to make it about it, btw I'm hispanic. I was just trying to show some of SF's screwed up policies and what they are leading to, both in and outside of the city. I guess some people just don't like to face reality with how badly this city is ran and have trouble admitting that Newsom isn't as great as they thought he was.

And I didn't post this in the POC forum b/c it would turn into one giant SF hatefest and only feed people's perceptions and stereotypes about SF and it's people.

Last edited by sav858; 07-22-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,531,513 times
Well it's funny that with all the rape, sex-crime, murder, drug dealing, shootings, car jacking, elder abuse etc. that goes on in SF, you only picked out crimes allegedly committed by persons of color with questionable immigration status. If you want to think singling out that group of people isn't racist you go right ahead. Saying your hispanic doesn't change a thing. I know Americans of Mexican descent who express totally racist sentiments towards people from their own country, and I know an ICE agent in SF and he is one of the most racist people I've met. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland