Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,728 times

Advertisements

Just try to remember Ramos hasn't been found guilty yet. Lose sight of that and you won't have a country whose borders are worth defending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Well it's funny that with all the rape, sex-crime, murder, drug dealing, shootings, car jacking, elder abuse etc. that goes on in SF, you only picked out crimes allegedly committed by persons of color with questionable immigration status. If you want to think singling out that group of people isn't racist you go right ahead. Saying your hispanic doesn't change a thing. I know Americans of Mexican descent who express totally racist sentiments towards people from their own country, and I know an ICE agent in SF and he is one of the most racist people I've met. Go figure.
Would you like me to start a thread about every single crime in SF? This is a big issue right now since it has been exposed by the Chronicle and it is affecting counties outside of SF, which is why I brought it up. And this crime was beyond the normal day to day criminals killing criminals crime cities see everyday.

What does it matter what their skin color is? I don't even care about that and it is completely irrelevant. But people like you try to bring race into an issue that has NOTHING to do with race so you can throw out some BS "racist" claim out there to try to bolster your side or argument. They could be illegal Russian immigrants for all I care I would still feel the same way. Is trying to label people as "racist" w/o any indication race was even at the heart of the issue tactics people like you pull? This is about a messed up immigration policy and NOT RACE. People like you are the real racists and the ones who help keep minorities marginalized by always bringing it up when it's not even the issue at hand.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Just try to remember Ramos hasn't been found guilty yet. Lose sight of that and you won't have a country whose borders are worth defending.
This isn't just about Ramos!! This is about a backwards, messed up SF immigration policy! You are completely missing the point of this thread. It's not about race, it's not about assuming Ramos' guilt before his trial. Do you get it now?

If you're going to post at least try to stick to what the thread is about instead of trying to turn this into some debate about racism. Argue for or against the issue at hand and stop trying to call out me as a racist, post something of substance.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 PM

SF Sanctuary laws have nothing to do with race.....you sure about that?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
SF Sanctuary laws have nothing to do with race.....you sure about that?
From my understanding they have to do with illegal immigration and not race. Do they specifically outline certain "races" they are a sanctuary for?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM

I'd strongly encourage you to read this article:

Immigrant sanctuary laws seen as practical

Excerpt:
"San Francisco is among scores of cities in California and around the country with sanctuary laws, according to the National Immigration Law Center. Several states also have such policies. The laws vary, but most bar the use of local resources to enforce federal immigration rules or prohibit police and other local officials from questioning residents about their immigration status. They do generally allow cooperation with federal immigration officials in dealing with criminals.
San Francisco's "city of refuge" policy arose in the 1980s when the United States was backing the governments of El Salvador and Guatemala and didn't recognize most of the refugees from those countries as having legitimate asylum claims."

So these laws have nothing to do with race, they just came about to protect certain ethnic groups.....

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

The article has a list of cities and states with Sanctuary Laws. How often do you think illegal white immigrants get jacked up for their immigration status?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Btw, Federal Law doesn't require local governments to report illegal immigrants.

Last edited by norcalmom101; 07-22-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'd strongly encourage you to read this article:

Immigrant sanctuary laws seen as practical

Excerpt:
"San Francisco is among scores of cities in California and around the country with sanctuary laws, according to the National Immigration Law Center. Several states also have such policies. The laws vary, but most bar the use of local resources to enforce federal immigration rules or prohibit police and other local officials from questioning residents about their immigration status. They do generally allow cooperation with federal immigration officials in dealing with criminals.
San Francisco's "city of refuge" policy arose in the 1980s when the United States was backing the governments of El Salvador and Guatemala and didn't recognize most of the refugees from those countries as having legitimate asylum claims."

So these laws have nothing to do with race, they just came about to protect certain ethnic groups.....

Not ONE mention of race in that article. Also El Salvadorian and Guatemalan are not a race. That article is about IMMIGRANTS. It doesn't say the law is specifically meant to shield Hispanics or any race in particular.

This is what the law says:
The ordinance reads, in part: "No department, agency, commission, officer or employee of the City and County of San Francisco shall use any City funds or resources to assist in the enforcement of federal immigration law or to gather or disseminate information regarding the immigration status of individuals in the City and County of San Francisco unless such assistance is required by federal or State statute, regulation or court decision."
The law was amended in 1992 to add: "Nothing in this Chapter shall prohibit, or be construed as prohibiting, a law enforcement officer from identifying and reporting any person pursuant to State an federal law or regulation who is in custody after being booked for the alleged commission of a felony and is suspected of violating the civil provisions of the immigration laws."

No mention of race once again. But people like you choose to look at things based on race then try to claim those of us that don't as "racist", unbelievable!

You can go ahead and infer what you'd like to try to help your argument but I am telling you straight up that on my part, nothing I posted or said had anything to do with race. It was about a bad immigration policy and that's it.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The article has a list of cities and states with Sanctuary Laws. How often do you think illegal white immigrants get jacked up for their immigration status?
you keep trying to turn this into some race debate and it's incredibly ignorant and annoying. I told you several times that it was not about race but it doesn't seem to matter what I say b/c you have your opinions and you seem to view them as fact or reality. Keep trying to play your asinine race card but it's not gonna work with me. Stop trying to turn me or others into racists when I am anything but that. You don't know a damn thing about my thoughts on race so stop assuming you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland