Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2021, 09:59 AM

56 posts, read 23,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Crime was going down all over the US when Rudy was playing the "tough mayor". The impact of all of his silliness was that a lot of people were arrested for little or no reason, in some cases causing them to lose their jobs and housing. Don't believe me, read this:
No city dropped in crime as did the crime drop rate in NYC. It’s not even comparable. Good try though. NYC went from the murder capital of the United States to among the safest largest cities in the United States. True, crime rates did drop in major cities throughout the United States. Why is that? People became nicer?

Violent crime declined by more than 56 percent in the City, compared to about 28 percent in the nation as whole. Property crimes tumbled by about 65 percent, but fell only 26 percent nationally.

https://www.nber.org/digest/jan03/wh...-new-york-city

Last edited by Woodshampoo; 11-30-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 10:11 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshampoo View Post
Many of these nations have a significant amount more police per capita than the US
What exactly do you think 'more cops' will do for public safety? There are only a few parameters that you can use to determine if a city/county has an adequate police force. One is to measure response time to 911 calls, another is the use of community surveys and the third metric is case closure rate.

I live in a County where the Sheriff has let the Deputies know that he is their "buddy" and consequently they are very seldom, if ever, held responsible for their actions (or lack of action). You could double the number of deputies here but when they aren't held to task it will just mean longer lines of cops in the Dutch Bros Coffee drive throughs. Since the position of Sheriff is an elected one you can't do much when you get a bad one, and unfortunately people seem to vote for the guy with the best personality rather than with a track record of effectively leading law enforcement officers.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
No city dropped in crime as did the crime drop rate in NYC. It’s not even comparable. Good try though. NYC went from the murder capital of the United States to among the safest largest cities in the United States. True, crime rates did drop in major cities throughout the United States. Why is that? People became nicer?

Violent crime declined by more than 56 percent in the City, compared to about 28 percent in the nation as whole. Property crimes tumbled by about 65 percent, but fell only 26 percent nationally.

https://www.nber.org/digest/jan03/wh...-new-york-city
Please read the article I linked before you try to refute what I said, ok?

Old 11-30-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
What exactly do you think 'more cops' will do for public safety? There are only a few parameters that you can use to determine if a city/county has an adequate police force. One is to measure response time to 911 calls, another is the use of community surveys and the third metric is case closure rate.

I live in a County where the Sheriff has let the Deputies know that he is their "buddy" and consequently they are very seldom, if ever, held responsible for their actions (or lack of action). You could double the number of deputies here but when they aren't held to task it will just mean longer lines of cops in the Dutch Bros Coffee drive throughs. Since the position of Sheriff is an elected one you can't do much when you get a bad one, and unfortunately people seem to vote for the guy with the best personality rather than with a track record of effectively leading law enforcement officers.
What do you think less cops will do for public safety? There are more than three parameters to determine if a police department is adequate. Crime in NYC certainly didn’t plummet if those are the parameters police departments are guided by. More police means more omnipresence. More police mean more police enforcing the laws. More police mean more police making stops and arresting bad guys.

I’m sorry that you live in a county with a do nothing police department. Have you gone to any police community meetings? Have you voiced your concern? You’re a taxpayer and your voice should be heard. What is the sentiment about the county police with the community? Do they want the police to be more hands on? That’s what cleaned up NYC. People were fed up and wanted the police to be proactive. Giuliani made sure that happened.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,794,219 times
Quote:
Many of these nations have a significant amount more police per capita than the US
Chicago has more police officers per capita than any other major American city and that hasn't stopped the crime rate from going up since Covid.

The other thing I want to add is that Prop 47 is a bit of a red herring. Here in Wisconsin, you get a felony for theft over $2500 - which is way higher than California, and we don't have any issues with smash and grab burglaries; and my area is nearly as liberal as the Bay Area, so that isn't the determining factor.

That being said, I do think Chesa Boudin is terrible DA and deserves to be recalled. I also think the "defund the police" was not only wrong, but also extremely damaging to the left. At the same time, the conservative narratives are also too simplistic.

California really needs to return to the moderate center-left politics that made it successful in the first place. Don't listen to the progressives or the conservatives.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
A broken clock is right twice a day, so there is that. They were correct when they were among the first news outlets that brought to light how the Obama administration wiretapped the Trump campaign.
That does not belong here, but I will give you the benefit of doubt, maybe you forgot and thought you were still posting in PoC?

Old 11-30-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Chicago has more police officers per capita than any other major American city and that hasn't stopped the crime rate from going up since Covid.

The other thing I want to add is that Prop 47 is a bit of a red herring. Here in Wisconsin, you get a felony for theft over $2500 - which is way higher than California, and we don't have any issues with smash and grab burglaries; and my area is nearly as liberal as the Bay Area, so that isn't the determining factor.

That being said, I do think Chesa Boudin is terrible DA and deserves to be recalled. I also think the "defund the police" was not only wrong, but also extremely damaging to the left. At the same time, the conservative narratives are also too simplistic.

California really needs to return to the moderate center-left politics that made it successful in the first place. Don't listen to the progressives or the conservatives.
So should Chicago have less cops? Will that lower the crime rates? Why is crime exploding in Chicago when crime has been significantly less until recently in NYC?

Is it possible police in Chicago aren’t all the proactive? Who would be in city that posthumously disciplines a cop after being killed in the line of duty? CPD officer Ella French was suspended after she was killed in the line of duty by COPA. Insane!

Last edited by Woodshampoo; 11-30-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-30-2021, 12:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,794,219 times
Quote:
So should Chicago have less cops? Will that lower the crime rates? Why is crime exploding in Chicago when crime has been significantly less until recently in NYC?
I don’t think Chicago should have less cops.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Is it possible police in Chicago aren’t all the proactive? Who would be in city that posthumously disciplines a cop after being killed in the line of duty? CPD officer Ella French was suspended after she was killed in the line of duty by COPA. Insane!
In July Rochester NY had a higher homicide rate than Chicago. I don't know why, and you don't know why. Even criminologists can't figure some of this stuff out, but it almost never can be attributed to a particular local official.

And you can't say that the City with the highest number of crimes is the most dangerous city, you have to look at the crime rate per 10,000 or 100,000 and when you do that, Chicago isn't #1, it's 8th.

And how can a cop be proactive enough to stop a homicide? Should we issue cops Ouija boards so that they can divine where the next homicide will occur? People don't commit crimes when cops are present so maybe we should just hire enough so that there is a cop on every corner 24/7? Crimes are most likely to occur in high density urban areas with a high level of poverty and unemployment and that's the way it's always been.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
In July Rochester NY had a higher homicide rate than Chicago. I don't know why, and you don't know why. Even criminologists can't figure some of this stuff out, but it almost never can be attributed to a particular local official.

And you can't say that the City with the highest number of crimes is the most dangerous city, you have to look at the crime rate per 10,000 or 100,000 and when you do that, Chicago isn't #1, it's 8th.

And how can a cop be proactive enough to stop a homicide? Should we issue cops Ouija boards so that they can divine where the next homicide will occur? People don't commit crimes when cops are present so maybe we should just hire enough so that there is a cop on every corner 24/7? Crimes are most likely to occur in high density urban areas with a high level of poverty and unemployment and that's the way it's always been.
Out of the top 20 cities with the highest crime rates, 17 of them are run predominantly by democrats. That’s the fact Jack. You clearly do not understand the broken windows theory implemented by Giuliani. Proactive policing works and is proven to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland