Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times

Advertisements

We were fortunate enough to live in SF when it was affordable and relatively uncrowded. A Very beautiful place to call home. The outdoor offerings were superb. Redwoods, Tahoe, hiking in Marin/Sonoma, GG Park, Ocean Beach.

Beauty everywhere.

We even had a tiny sailboat, 22 feet, we could take out on the Bay for memorable sails...

All this was ours on two low-medium salaries.

But when it became too clogged with traffic and unaffordable for creative types such as us, we voted with our feet and left California.

But during our 36 years there, it was Eden.

Do we miss it? Of course. But we're much more relaxed now and don't stress about $. No regrets in leaving. Lots of lovely memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:19 AM

653 posts, read 464,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
How often do you go to the wineries and the ocean and bay front? I hope you do live in a nice ocean front home with views.
For me, one of the biggest draws of living in the City (and especially the part of San Francisco where I live) is its proximity to Wine Country. I can typically be in Sonoma in about an hour from my place on a Saturday morning.

Taking this short drive has a real "vacation" feel to it too, even though it's a fairly common occurrence for us. From about April-November, we go once a month or so. The weather is usually very warm. There's a slow-paced rural feel in Sonoma, Russian River, or far northern Napa, where we can often talk to the winemakers. In southern Napa, there's more of a tourist-oriented resort feel to places that can be fun in small doses, too. The different regions and multiple areas within them specialize in different types and styles of wines, so investigating them is a lot of fun.

I also enjoy Bay and City views from my windows, but even better--Fort Mason or Crissy Field is only a 15-20 minute walk or shorter bike ride for sunshine, fun on the waterfront, Picnic in the Presidio or Golden Gate Bridge views. We also like to hike around Lands End or the Marin Headlands (farther away, but still easily accessible) with some frequency.

In the context of desirability, it's also worthy of noting that at this time of year, you could quite easily end a morning of skiing at Squaw Valley, hop in your car and be picnicking on a Napa Valley hillside in 80 degrees that afternoon... or surfing, or sailing, or whatever... providing you do it during the week and miss the traffic.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The funny thing is ssmaster claims he’s highly educated, got a degree from a prestigious college, lives on a street with multi million dollar homes, makes a high income, yet makes posts with poor spelling and weak statements. His posts don’t match up with how accomplished he claims he is. But it is the internet and people can claim to be anything they want.
If some of you had figured out being highly educated in a STEM field is more lucrative than spelling well you also would be able to live and retire in the Bay Area also. Just my opinion

Old 04-21-2019, 11:32 AM

21,745 posts, read 16,374,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
If some of you had figured out being highly educated in a STEM field is more lucrative than spelling well you also would be able to live and retire in the Bay Area also. Just my opinion
Mmmm. I have a very close friend, another Vietnam vet, who is quite a successful attorney ... atrocious speller. So, ... he likes spell-check, of course, these days ... but he’s gotten to where he has through years without spell-checkers ... so, ...

Old 04-21-2019, 11:34 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Glad you’re working in stem and can afford the area. It just seems people who graduate with a degree in stem are intelligent enough to know how to spell, but obviously not you. That’s just my opinion.I didn’t need stem and didn’t get more than a 4 year college degree. I did however use common sense not needing a college degree in stem and invested in real estate and so unlike you I don’t have to even work. Hey, I can even afford to live without working in the Bay Area, can you? Nope.
Moving to Georgia allowed me to set up my real estate holdings and now I can afford to live in almost any area. The lifestyle would vary. In the Bay Area I could get by very comfortably and I even thought of moving back, but things I can afford and enjoy now would have to be cut back. For some people it would be worth it, but for me I looked at pros and cons and decided to stay here. I personally couldn’t see any advantage except for weather and it wasn’t even that much of a motivator for me.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:38 AM

8,693 posts, read 3,883,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, but he does have a way of putting others down who do not agree with him. As for liberal versus conservative, again he has never said this but he has said a few things that anyone who can read would see it appears he is certainly not on the right or anything. I am not going to go back and refer to each of his posts but I understand exactly what the poster is saying. It was CC and his posts that made me, about a week ago stop posting here period. Trying to post was like hitting my head against a brick wall. No mater what anyone who is not a total lover of the bay area or even questioned the study he choose to tear apart. So, simply it seemed there were better CD topics to discuss. HAPPY EASTER to all.
I think some people like to make things unnecessarily personal.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
For me, one of the biggest draws of living in the City (and especially the part of San Francisco where I live) is its proximity to Wine Country. I can typically be in Sonoma in about an hour from my place on a Saturday morning.

Taking this short drive has a real "vacation" feel to it too, even though it's a fairly common occurrence for us. From about April-November, we go once a month or so. The weather is usually very warm. There's a slow-paced rural feel in Sonoma, Russian River, or far northern Napa, where we can often talk to the winemakers. In southern Napa, there's more of a tourist-oriented resort feel to places that can be fun in small doses, too. The different regions and multiple areas within them specialize in different types and styles of wines, so investigating them is a lot of fun.

I also enjoy Bay and City views from my windows, but even better--Fort Mason or Crissy Field is only a 15-20 minute walk or shorter bike ride for sunshine, fun on the waterfront, Picnic in the Presidio or Golden Gate Bridge views. We also like to hike around Lands End or the Marin Headlands (farther away, but still easily accessible) with some frequency.

In the context of desirability, it's also worthy of noting that at this time of year, you could quite easily end a morning of skiing at Squaw Valley, hop in your car and be picnicking on a Napa Valley hillside in 80 degrees that afternoon... or surfing, or sailing, or whatever... providing you do it during the week and miss the traffic.
The things you mention are all awesome. The issue is always money. A lot of people simply can’t afford to take advantage of all those things or even have the time. You’re very fortunate indeed.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You claim you don’t pay much attention to them Yet here you are posting numerous times on this very thing in response.
I understand there’s a few people who quite often don’t have positive things to say, but there’s others that post both good and bad honest opinions that have basis yet some people here think they only post negative things. It’s not just them, local residents will say the same things being honest.
People that used to live there often have the benefit of having lived in multiple areas firsthand and can make good comparisons.
Sour grapes ranking number 7? Hardly. You’re just saying that to try to diminish any posts that weren’t positive. If it is so great why isn’t it number one? It got beat out by six other cities on quality of life yet the cost of living there is more expensive than all of those. Some might say you made a poor financial decision on that basis. But as others have said, if you are a high income earner or got home ownership early in, it may not apply.
It’s okay to like living there and look past at only a number 7 ranking while paying the cost for what should be a number one ranking, but then some people there criticize the other areas that rank higher. That’s fine too, they have their opinions, but they shouldn’t cry when criticism is thrown back.
You want some cheese with your whine? We do have excellent wineries in the area!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I think some people like to make things unnecessarily personal.
Where’s the emoji for the pot calling the kettle black?

Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You’re anonymous on this forum and we only know you by what you have posted on other posts. You say you don’t live in Novato and are worried about personal info yet you just divulged info about where you live yourself. Bright move!
You’re the one that decided to expose yourself and whatever info you put like working in a hospital out there so that is all on you. You should learn how the internet works.
I haven’t seen anywhere the poster divulged what specific town she decided to move to, other than posts about moving to the Bay Area. It’s you who brought up Novato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland