Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 01:28 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
That's because we got married in wine country, so naturally we were up there a few times a month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,450 times
Oh my!

And for all you folks, just checking out this forum and thinking about moving here. All this bickering is really what it's like here. I bet you're thinking "what a fun bunch" and just want to pack your bags right now and get here as fast as possible. ROTFLMAO!

Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m in my early 70’s. Live on a 24’ sailboat. Canoe the Russian River. Kayak Tamales Bay. Hike Richardson Grove. Camp Bodega Bay ... etc. You might be surprised how many in their 50 to 90’s I meet on my rambles.
imho, you are truly experiencing the BEST of the Bay area...and it's what I miss the most: the outdoor ramblings and adventures and the breath-taking natural beauty...we were fortunate to do most of what you're doing...love to hear more about your on-board life...we had a 22 foot Tanzer we berthed in Oakland on the Embarcadero near Quinns...

Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
I’m in my early 70’s. Live on a 24’ sailboat.
Nice! Do you have ‘live-aboard’ status with your slip rental? It’s my understanding fees can easily triple (when you can get it). I’d be curious to know what you pay (and if that’s true). I pay about $550/month (standard calculated rental) for the sake of comparison.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Those are the nice things that make the SF Bay Area...

I owned a 27 Pearson that was mine for taking over the slip fees... had a lot of fun going through the Atomic 4 and on the Bay... it is something few other places could offer...

The boat was bought new by the owner and age prevented him from using it and it was neglected... one day he happened to mention needing to find a home for his Sailboat... I remembered it when I was a teen... after a handshake it was mine.

Alameda Marina was like a second home...

The Regional Park system, Redwoods, Beaches, etc. offer something for just about everyone...

Dad had a friend that that was always attended guest lectures at UC... he said where else in the world has so many institutions of higher learning?

Not to mention the near ideal climate...

Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Nice! Do you have ‘live-aboard’ status with your slip rental? It’s my understanding fees can easily triple (when you can get it). I’d be curious to know what you pay (and if that’s true). I pay about $550/month (standard calculated rental) for the sake of comparison.
Heh. You are asking for trade secrets ... and a convoluted history lesson. I’ll try to not be too evasive ... and be brief:

No. Never had “live-aboard” status ... too expensive (read: I’m too cheap). Except sort of in a couple places where live-aboard status wasn’t much or any upcharge. Does this exist? Well yes, sorta kinda. Not so much anymore.

I have lived aboard in the Bay and Delta. At marinas and on the hook (like in Richardson Bay with the, um ‘eclectic’ old hippies / derelicts). Out in Isleton years back, the fee at a covered slip had only a very low upcharge, so I paid to stay at the dock with electric and water hose and easy boarding.

At the SF marina along the Marina Green I was a sneak aboard.

Etc. Moved a lot around the Bay/Delta over the years.

Fast forward: I now live at military marinas in San Diego by maintaining multiple slips (because as retired military the rates are WAY lower than you’d pay) and not overstaying the “nights in a row” limits. I have a slip in Morro Bay, 2 in San Diego that I rotate the boat to, and I’m gone nearly ½ the year now to the San Juans up in Washington (where I am writing from right now, as a matter of fact). Up north here I have a mooring at a friend’s island property beach.

I also have an old shorty diesel Sprinter van (with 535,000 miles on it) I converted into a camper and boat hauler ... so I camp a lot up and down the coast. Advantage of small boats like I stick with is you can tow ‘em legally everywhere without special permits ... and of course they’re easy to sail single-hand ... and easy to maintain. I just put an old 1970’s 14’ travel trailer up in the woods on the bluff up here in the islands, too. I’m building a new 24’ proa/cat (can tack or shunt) and the trailer is a great den by the boat project for me and the old dog to chill out in during the rains.

Can’t beat it with a stick ... if you’re willing to live like a gypsy sardine!

Was that “off-topic”? Ooooops.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Heh. You are asking for trade secrets ... and a convoluted history lesson. I’ll try to not be too evasive ... and be brief:

No. Never had “live-aboard” status ... too expensive (read: I’m too cheap). Except sort of in a couple places where live-aboard status wasn’t much or any upcharge. Does this exist? Well yes, sorta kinda. Not so much anymore.

I have lived aboard in the Bay and Delta. At marinas and on the hook (like in Richardson Bay with the, um ‘eclectic’ old hippies / derelicts). Out in Isleton years back, the fee at a covered slip had only a very low upcharge, so I paid to stay at the dock with electric and water hose and easy boarding.

Fast forward: I now live at military marinas in San Diego by maintaining multiple slips (because as retired military the rates are WAY lower than you’d pay) and not overstaying the “nights in a row” limits. I have a slip in Morro Bay, 2 in San Diego that I rotate the boat to, and I’m gone nearly ½ the year now to the San Juans up in Washington (where I am writing from right now, as a matter of fact). Up north here I have a mooring at a friend’s island property beach.

Well, I wasn’t asking for secrets; I don’t have any intention of living on my sailboat. I was just curious about ‘live-aboard’ fees in comparison to my ‘standard’ fee (as I’ve heard liveaboard status can be exorbitant in the Bay Area, like everything else of course). This is especially true since I know they limit it to about 5-10% of rentals so it becomes quite ‘competitive’ (and costly).

That said, I thought it was on topic - because I thought you were in the SF Bay Area (and boating of any kind is certainly relevant to SF’s desirability per the thread). I didn’t realize you were living in San Diego (and Washington).

Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Well, I wasn’t asking for secrets; I don’t have any intention of living on my sailboat. I was just curious about ‘live-aboard’ fees in comparison to my ‘standard’ fee (as I’ve heard liveaboard status can be exorbitant in the Bay Area, like everything else of course). This is especially true since I know they limit it to about 5-10% of rentals so it becomes quite ‘competitive’ (and costly).

That said, I thought it was on topic - because I thought you were in the SF Bay Area (and boating of any kind is certainly relevant to SF’s desirability per the thread). I didn’t realize you were living in San Diego (and Washington).
My “secrets” comment was a joke ... and sure, it was semi on topic because I lived aboard in the Bay area until 4 years ago ... and described some of that.

Live-aboard fees can certainly be exorbitant, yup. That said, standard moorage in the Bay has gotten exorbitant! Same in San Diego. $15 a foot is nuts! My highest rate at one marina is less than half that ... only place you might find low rates north anymore is some of the funky old hidden marinas in the Delta. I haven’t checked any rates out there in near 10 years though.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM

276 posts, read 222,158 times
Quote:

Hmmm, maybe this should go in the "SF Homeless" thread.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
My “secrets” comment was a joke ... and sure, it was semi on topic because I lived aboard in the Bay area until 4 years ago ... and described some of that.

Live-aboard fees can certainly be exorbitant, yup. That said, standard moorage in the Bay has gotten exorbitant! Same in San Diego. $15 a foot is nuts! My highest rate at one marina is less than half that ... only place you might find low rates north anymore is some of the funky old hidden marinas in the Delta. I haven’t checked any rates out there in near 10 years though.
Besides the moorage fees - what about the cost of maintenance of the vessel itself? That can be a bottomless ocean (pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland