Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 11:44 AM

10,357 posts, read 8,590,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You want some cheese with your whine? We do have excellent wineries in the area!
Yep, Napa is known for its wine. Funny thing is you don’t have to pay the high cost of living in the Bay Area to enjoy the wine as it’s sold everywhere. You probably didn’t know that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:45 AM

10,357 posts, read 8,590,712 times
Quote:
I haven’t seen anywhere the poster divulged what specific town she decided to move to, other than posts about moving to the Bay Area. It’s you who brought up Novato.
If she worried about others knowing where she lived, why mention she didn’t live in Novato?

Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM

8,717 posts, read 3,896,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Yep, Napa is known for its wine. Funny thing is you don’t have to pay the high cost of living in the Bay Area to enjoy the wine as it’s sold everywhere. You probably didn’t know that
Actually - I prefer some wineries in Sonoma County (and the area in general) to Napa.

Experiencing the beauty of wine country (or even the process of wine-making), by the way, goes far beyond purchasing a bottle of wine ‘anywhere’ (and is yet another reason the Bay Area ranks so high on desirability and Best Places to live overall). That said, enjoy your wine from Napa while you criticize the area.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-21-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
If she worried about others knowing where she lived, why mention she didn’t live in Novato?
I strongly advise you to stop discussing or worrying about where she does or doesn’t live; it’s a public forum. She has already posted a request to you to leave her personal details alone; that should have been enough.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-21-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Where’s the emoji for the pot calling the kettle black?
I’m not attacking you or where you live - I’m merely defending where I live. Big difference, and I know it’s sour grapes because of the thread title.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:22 PM

276 posts, read 222,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We were fortunate enough to live in SF when it was affordable and relatively uncrowded. A Very beautiful place to call home. The outdoor offerings were superb. Redwoods, Tahoe, hiking in Marin/Sonoma, GG Park, Ocean Beach.

Beauty everywhere.

We even had a tiny sailboat, 22 feet, we could take out on the Bay for memorable sails...

All this was ours on two low-medium salaries.

But when it became too clogged with traffic and unaffordable for creative types such as us, we voted with our feet and left California.

But during our 36 years there, it was Eden.

Do we miss it? Of course. But we're much more relaxed now and don't stress about $. No regrets in leaving. Lots of lovely memories.
Even LA had farms and ranches once, but that was way before my time! I remember crowds in SF, and traffic, even way back in the 70's, though its noticeably worse on the freeways these days. It certainly was more reasonably affordable for average people, could buy a house out in Richmond or Fremont for <100k. It's the latter that has become the primary issue in the current age.

I guess its the high tech that's driven the prices up so crazy in the last decade. 50% of recent home purchases have been by people in the software industry! Spillover from down south, apparently. Or maybe people suddenly realized how much nicer it is here, than in Chicago, St. Louis or Houston? I dunno.

What will put an end to the real estate madness here? It's something that I rarely see mentioned on the forums, and it is the "BIG ONE". Geologists say a bigger than 1906, and MUCH bigger than 1989 can happen anytime in the not so distant future, and many areas of the highest priced homes, like Marina, would be totally liquefied and wiped off the tax maps.

Anyone seeking to buy at these astronomical prices, needs to keep this fact, of sitting right on top of the major faults of the "ring of fire", firmly in the back of one's mind.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is ssmaster claims he’s highly educated, got a degree from a prestigious college, lives on a street with multi million dollar homes, makes a high income, yet makes posts with poor spelling and weak statements. His posts don’t match up with how accomplished he claims he is. But it is the internet and people can claim to be anything they want.
I absolutely agree - as well as his post earlier about ‘yachting’ to which I commented - post #206 (and other things as well). That said, it’s easy to spot (along with sour grapes, jealousy, insecurity, etc). It’s all distractions to take from the content of the thread - about SF (and being #7).

Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,789,306 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree - as well as his post earlier about ‘yachting’ - post #206 (and other things as well). That said, it’s easy to spot (along with sour grapes, jealousy, insecurity, etc). It’s all distractions to take from the content of the thread - about SF (and being #7).
I used the term yachting because an ex pointed out that for the non enthusiast "sailboat" could be a 15 foot dinghy and not a 40 footer.

I am not an enthusiast at this point. To be honest it's more of a 1 2

Someone tells me they own a yacht

"Oh,yeah I have one too."

Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Glad you’re working in stem and can afford the area. It just seems people who graduate with a degree in stem are intelligent enough to know how to spell, but obviously not you. That’s just my opinion.I didn’t need stem and didn’t get more than a 4 year college degree. I did however use common sense not needing a college degree in stem and invested in real estate and so unlike you I don’t have to even work. Hey, I can even afford to live without working in the Bay Area, can you? Nope.
Moving to Georgia allowed me to set up my real estate holdings and now I can afford to live in almost any area. The lifestyle would vary. In the Bay Area I could get by very comfortably and I even thought of moving back, but things I can afford and enjoy now would have to be cut back. For some people it would be worth it, but for me I looked at pros and cons and decided to stay here. I personally couldn’t see any advantage except for weather and it wasn’t even that much of a motivator for me.
I can afford to live in the Bay Area without working. I actually relocated for a few years and kept my home in the Bay Area vacant during that time. For some the goal is to not have to work in a high cost Area such as the Bay Area , New York , Paris,the south of France not Georgia.

Last edited by ssmaster; 04-21-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 01:11 PM

I post about the high cost of living and how much money it takes to be comfortable here because cost of living is why the overwhelming majority of people relocate from the Bay Area.
Study after study.article after article. They are not leaving because:
A homeless guy crapped in an alley
the liberal politics
The weather

It's home prices, rental prices and cost of living that are driving people out. In the end that is what will make people leave so that is what I focus on. People should have a realistic expectation prior to moving or they will leave and end up bitter in Texas or Georgia or wherever

https://www.inc.com/andrew-thomas/5-...francisco.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland