Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,181,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The bacon was called out as from a local farm on the menu board and it was delicious. I have noticed that meat, cheese and produce from within 100 miles of the Bay Area generally seems to be of higher quality and tastes better than what is available in the supermarket. I count that as one of the perks of living in this area and have no idea why it would offend anyone.

My rent is expensive, but I can afford it and still save money every month for retirement, or to buy a home. I can't buy in any area I really want to be in this market right now. I am content to wait for a market correction, or a change of my tastes for life in the City, when I'd be more interested in other areas. You seem to take great issue with this.

As to your degrees and San Leandro home, congratulations. I dreamed of going to Cal when I was in high school. We had a university in the small Texas town where I grew up, though, and my parents were quite conservative. My dad told me that if I wanted to live at home and go to school there, he'd pay for it. Otherwise, I was on my own. Cal was out of the question, so I did the next best thing. I loaded up my stuff and moved to Houston, where I could afford to live and put myself through school at UH.

Incidentally, I made my first trip to SF in 1993 and one of the first things I did was get on BART and ride over to Berkeley, just to walk around the campus of the place where you were fortunate enough to go to school. I even went to the Togo's on Telegraph (there was one there at the time) and got a sandwich. I won't discuss what was on it so as not to appear too smug, but it's safe to say it was a big deal to me to be there in Berkeley if a Togo's sandwich is etched in my memory.

Your house in the hills sounds great, but if you are in the hills, you are more than that 30 minute BART ride from SF, because you still have to find your way to the station. That's fine. You pay extra to be away from things like public transportation and job centers. I pay extra to be close to them. We have different values.

I know your view must be nice, though. The first eight months I was here, I lived in the El Cerrito hills with a beautiful view. It was very nice, but I didn't care for the suburban living and the commute. I much prefer living in the City, even with the added expense that comes with it, yet I understand and appreciate the appeal of the East Bay suburbs.

In no way was I trying to talk down to you for living in San Leandro. I was simply questioning why you have such a problem with people's lives so far removed from your own (figuratively and yes, literally). Why is it "classist" to have different values than yours in terms of city living versus suburban living (a point you inferred, by the way)? If you're such a "man of the people," why live in the hills? The flats are where the struggle is.

I said that you sound like an old, disgruntled, bitter person, sitting waiting to pounce on me for being "classist" because I enjoyed a nice Sunday with some good wine and bacon on my chicken sandwich. You do sound old and unhappy. At 31, with your house, degrees, family and living in the Bay Area, you should be elated.

I am and I shared it with no agenda that pertained to you or the people you purport to represent and defend.
Wow, so you ate bacon from a 'local' pig that was raised in Lodi, and some how me living in San Leandro is 'distant' and 'far flung'.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Now that is ****ing classic!

No hard feelings bro, you have a bad case of bayarrea. I was giving you a dose of much needed pepto.

Now excuse me, I need to eat some local strawberrys, that were grown in WATSONVILLE. LOL!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,304,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
What good places are there in Oakland? out of pure curiosity? I'd love to try some places out.
Art Mumur is this Friday, so that's a pretty good excuse to wander from Jack London Square up Broadway to Telegraph and all of the bars/restaurants in Uptown, while checking out some of the art galleries as well. For craft beer, Beer Revolution in JLS and the Trappist in Old Oakland are pretty cool. For people watching and bocce ball, Make Westing in Uptown can be fun. For live music, the Fox Theater always attracts the biggest names and has a great environment to catch a show. If you want a really good greyhound and a weird/psychedelic vibe, Cafe Van Kleef is worth a look. If you want a nice glass of wine, Dogwood is nice, but gets super crowded. If you want to hear old school hip hop spun on vinyl, the Layover is a fun place to get your groove on. And if you want a pretentious/douchey/be seen crowd, there's always District...

There's plenty of other places, but these are close to my neighborhood and off the top of my head.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,998,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Art Mumur is this Friday, so that's a pretty good excuse to wander from Jack London Square up Broadway to Telegraph and all of the bars/restaurants in Uptown, while checking out some of the art galleries as well. For craft beer, Beer Revolution in JLS and the Trappist in Old Oakland are pretty cool. For people watching and bocce ball, Make Westing in Uptown can be fun. For live music, the Fox Theater always attracts the biggest names and has a great environment to catch a show. If you want a really good greyhound and a weird/psychedelic vibe, Cafe Van Kleef is worth a look. If you want a nice glass of wine, Dogwood is nice, but gets super crowded. If you want to hear old school hip hop spun on vinyl, the Layover is a fun place to get your groove on. And if you want a pretentious/douchey/be seen crowd, there's always District...

There's plenty of other places, but these are close to my neighborhood and off the top of my head.
I live in Uptown and I can assure you the sound of loud music coming from clubs is alive and well. Vo's seems to have a club going on during First Fridays. There is this one place on Grand Ave. that has clubs 2-4 times a week. Wednesday nights appears to be rave night and there a lot of white people who attend and hang out on the adjacent parklet. Friday is hip hop night, lots of African Americans attend that one. Saturday the same I think. Sometimes even Sunday too. Really, I think Oakland doesn't have the concept of "not disturbing the peace".

Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Yep. There are lots of underground warehouse parties all over the city that happen on a regular basis too. Oakland knows how to party pretty hard, even if you aren't exactly looking for it.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I live in Uptown and I can assure you the sound of loud music coming from clubs is alive and well. Vo's seems to have a club going on during First Fridays. There is this one place on Grand Ave. that has clubs 2-4 times a week. Wednesday nights appears to be rave night and there a lot of white people who attend and hang out on the adjacent parklet. Friday is hip hop night, lots of African Americans attend that one. Saturday the same I think. Sometimes even Sunday too. Really, I think Oakland doesn't have the concept of "not disturbing the peace".
The club on grand is Era. That place has a different crowd every night.

Also there is Air Lounge in Old Oakland. That's the spot for the upscale, mostly black, lots of Nigerians crowd.

Then Liege is open on the weekends.

District has lots of good eye candy, the crowd shifts around 9ish to a younger crowd. Before 9 it skews a little older.

Parliament is new, and seems to have a mostly black but very Oakland crowd (read this as you will see all types of people in there (asian, latino, people from europe), and when a Bay Area song, Michael Jackson, Prince or Maze/Frankie Beverly comes on, everyone knows the words and starts dancing from ages 22-50.

Also there is New Karribbean City. As my friend says, this for the people who are really wining, and making twins on the dance floor.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 PM

I like Parliament, actually. Bar tenders are friendly and people are pretty cool. District is too stuffy for me. The last time some friends and I tried to go in for a drink, the bouncer wouldn't let me inside because I was wearing flip flops, even though I had on a dress shirt and jeans.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,147,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just wondering where you expect people to live that is closer to work and more affordable?

I bought a house as close to work as I can afford (23 miles) and it takes me a little less than an hour in the morning and a little over an hour in the afternoon in travel time.

Most people cannot afford a house in the job centers because they are 800k+. Most people don't want to rent their entire life, when I retire I won't have a mortgage or rent payment. The people renting cannot say the same.

And when these people in the "burbs" try to move closer to work they get lambasted for gentrifying and changing the feel of the city.

You can't win for losing sometimes.

Oh, since we are describing our weeks...

Monday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Tuesday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Wednesday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Thursday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Friday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Went to Costco before going home to avoid the lines on the weekend. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Saturday, went on a walk around neighborhood, then went to family graduation party at a local park, had to pay $6 to get into park even though it was a county park. Had a good time, went home.

Sunday, stayed at home and worked around the house, laundry, cleaning, etc. ate made a grilled cheese and ham sandwich for dinner, watched tv in evening and went to bed.

Monday, start all over again.
That's cool. You're buying a home I bet you are quite proud of. I'm sure it is appreciating as fast or faster than your best investments. There has to be a lot of satisfaction in that.

As you noted, you will benefit in retirement, living on a piece of California you own, which is close to a lot of amazing things to see and do. Sounds like the good life to me. I hope to join you one day in that.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Wow, so you ate bacon from a 'local' pig that was raised in Lodi, and some how me living in San Leandro is 'distant' and 'far flung'.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Now that is ****ing classic!

No hard feelings bro, you have a bad case of bayarrea. I was giving you a dose of much needed pepto.

Now excuse me, I need to eat some local strawberrys, that were grown in WATSONVILLE. LOL!!!!!!!!
You have odd fixations and a strange sense of humor. I explained already that I was not intending to call San Leandro distant--I used the words "distant suburb" because I found your overly emphatic, opinionated perspective on life in San Francisco given from San Leandro to be misguided. You seem like you're looking for some kind of debate, but lack any substance in your position beyond silly internet jargon.

How you are now equating where bacon comes from to where people live is beyond convoluted. Can you simply not construct a viable gripe with anything I've written? It's okay if you can't. Nothing I've written should upset any stable person. It's very curious why it is upsetting you so much or why you want people to believe that it is.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Yeah that's true. I bought a small tiny place in the city before the tech bubble. It's not a palace or luxurious but I get offers unsolicited every week to buy it.

I don't buy $22 local bread though, I'm not completely insane.
I stopped by the Ferry Building this evening and picked up an Acme sourdough baguette (and some other items). The bread was $2.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,181,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You have odd fixations and a strange sense of humor. I explained already that I was not intending to call San Leandro distant--I used the words "distant suburb" because I found your overly emphatic, opinionated perspective on life in San Francisco given from San Leandro to be misguided. You seem like you're looking for some kind of debate, but lack any substance in your position beyond silly internet jargon.

How you are now equating where bacon comes from to where people live is beyond convoluted. Can you simply not construct a viable gripe with anything I've written? It's okay if you can't. Nothing I've written should upset any stable person. It's very curious why it is upsetting you so much or why you want people to believe that it is.
No arguement here bro. Enjoy that local deep central valley imported bacon and expensive, affordable housing as you prance around the fog that silhouettes the moonlight. Lololololol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland