Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,144,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
Indeed it is. Don't know why people give you grief for loving your life in a very, very beautiful place. I for one am tired of people bitching about SF on this forum. If it was as bad as the people on this forum make it out to be, no one would live here.

I spent Saturday hanging out with my grandchildren in Douglas Park in Noe Valley. Lots of beautiful parents and kids out there.
Careful...talk of "beautiful parents" seems classist and lacks humility.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Just hanging out on the island is a nice getaway. It's quiet and the views are incredible. Worth a trip, for sure.
Thanks, I'll check it out sometime.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,144,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out sometime.
You should! It absolutely is not "Disney-fied" in any way. It is scruffy and unrefined. You can walk to all the wineries, but there is NOTHING else, so don't expect Healdsburg. The people are awesome, though--so friendly and willing to spend time with you. It's like this crazy, small town at the foot of the Bay Bridge, with the SF skyline in the distance.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,842,973 times
I thought this thread was going to be about high mortgage or rent payments and sitting in traffic. That is what the "Bay Area lifestyle" is to many people, including myself.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:42 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Occasionally I have days where I just have to stop and appreciate where I am because I KNOW it's not like this any place else. I'm not in SF but I am an East Bay native and while it's not all pretty you don't have to go far to find pretty. I've gone into SF by jumping on BART or taking a drive, and just wandering, so what you did IS NOT impossible, it's fairly common.

It's not just SF either. I went to lunch with a friend the other day at a winery in Livermore. We sat on the patio overlooking a gold course, lake and surrounding hills. We had a coupon for a free glass of wine and split a sandwich at chatted with golfers. We went downtown and got a frozen yogurt and walked up and down the street looking at little shops. We are NOT 1%, we are NOT living a life nobody can live, we just know what's out there and strive to take advantage of it whenever we can. Summers are especially nice here.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,880,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Occasionally I have days where I just have to stop and appreciate where I am because I KNOW it's not like this any place else. I'm not in SF but I am an East Bay native and while it's not all pretty you don't have to go far to find pretty.
I think the East Bay is pretty. Lots of yellow/gold hills to look at and plenty of sunshine. Its not as green as the other side and no ocean views but it definitely isnt ugly ala Dallas, Tulsa, Blythe etc...

Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,176,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You sound like a bitter old twist holed up in the distant suburbs of Oakland who doesn't appreciate what the Bay Area offers to people who enjoy their lives, and who broadcasts this narrow and sad view on the Internet. What about anything I wrote was classist? What lacked humility? Nothing, unless you're a sour, crotchety old cuss, hell-bent on spraying negativity.

I merely am appreciating the place I have called home for nearly three years now. I am appreciative every time I look out my window. I get out of my apartment every chance I get--on foot--to soak it all up. I breathe in the air deeply all the time. I think the Bay Area is the best place in America and one of the most beautiful places in the world.

For some reason, you have a problem with that. You say my take is classist or somehow "not real". Okay. So be it. I dreamed it all. I made it up in order to further some 1% agenda. There. Feel better?

Whatever failure in your life has shaped your opinions, I don't care or even feel for you in any way. I think anyone fortunate enough to find himself here and not enjoy it to its fullest is an absolute fool.
Heh, nice insult laden response. All I pointed out was the obvious hubris and classism of your thread.

For the record I don't think 31 is old, you are probably older than me.

Nor is San Leandro a distant place from SF. That is just what you and other new wavers tell yourselves, as you pay rent to live on someone else's land, while your neighbors on rent control pay a fraction of that.

Who has not had failure in life? And why would you even entertain that as a source of mockery?

By the way, two degrees from cal, a great wife, two wonderful children, and a custom house on a hill, with great neighbors is not what I personally consider failure, but to each his own.

I was just trying to help you with your sudden spout of hubris and classism.

I am not talking about your little diary entry (cool story bro) you shared.
I'm talking about your thread title. Which tries to imply your lifestyle is the *real* lifestyle. As if people who are struggling or doing things different are not living the *real*life style.

Or your implications that people who struggle to survive (who might even be natives), are not good at what they do, simply because they do not enjoy a 'vibrant' market.

Expensive yet affordable? Maybe one of the 20 english majors posting here can help me out...but isn't that an oxymoron? Expensive yet affordable? How does that even make sense????

You been here 3 years? Cute. I was in norcal before you got here and I will high and likely be here when you leave. As a fellow transplant, i am just letting you know that you are trying way too hard. Your whole first post remindes me of a south park episode that made fun of transplants that move to SF.Good day.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 06-02-2014 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 AM

339 posts, read 516,696 times
You're incoherently knocking him for his "classist" screed, then going on a rant about your multiple degrees and custom hill-side home? I don't get it.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,214,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Heh, nice insult laden response. All I pointed out was the obvious hubris and classism of your thread.

For the record I don't think 31 is old, you are probably older than me.

Nor is San Leandro a distant place from SF. That is just what you and other new wavers tell yourselves, as you pay rent to live on someone else's land, while your neighbors on rent control pay a fraction of that.

Who has not had failure in life? And why would you even entertain that as a source of mockery?

By the way, two degrees from cal, a great wife, two wonderful children, and a custom house on a hill, with great neighbors is not what I personally consider failure, but to each his own.

I was just trying to help you with your sudden spout of hubris and classism.

I am not talking about your little diary entry (cool story bro) you shared.
I'm talking about your thread title. Which tries to imply your lifestyle is the *real* lifestyle. As if people who are struggling or doing things different are not living the *real*life style.

Or your implications that people who struggle to survive (who might even be natives), are not good at what they do, simply because they do not enjoy a 'vibrant' market.

Expensive yet affordable? Maybe one of the 20 english majors posting here can help me out...but isn't that an oxymoron? Expensive yet affordable? How does that even make sense????

You been here 3 years? Cute. I was in norcal before you got here and I will high and likely be here when you leave. As a fellow transplant, i am just letting you know that you are trying way too hard. Your whole first post remindes me of a south park episode that made fun of transplants that move to SF.Good day.
You missed his point entirely. The failure he was referring to is your negative and hostile attitude toward others who are simply enjoying their lives. Has nothing to do with money. That is the biggest failure we can have in life regardless of our bank book. Goodwill is infectious. Please learn it and be happy for someone like that who is just sharing their enjoyment of the region. It costs you nothing. I am shocked at how much you read into his post that was not there. LOL! I imagine everyone else is, too. There was no hubris or classism, just your imagination.

I am not surprised at your reaction, though. Outside of your native Chicago and Oakland/San Leandro, you have expressed negativity for those in other cities. We have posted in many of the same threads. You even have about six or seven posts on record attacking the people in Minneapolis as snobby. Not a specific age group or neighborhood, but just a blanket smear. Says more about the person attacking than anything else. LOL! Those are friendly people that deal with chilly winters. Grew up there, so I know.

Truly hope you learn to focus more on enjoying the area and less on attacking others who are just sharing their good experiences. He only replied more forcefully when you would not let up and gave him no choice. His first two replies were very classy, but you seldom "play nice" and could not let it go. Everything has to be a drama with you. You do not believe in "live and let live". Your way or the highway. I have a feeling he will keep doing the things he enjoys despite your disapproval.

Cute. I have been in northern California since 1972 and that is probably longer than you, too. Nonetheless, we will strongly recommend that every resident that did not arrive before you checks in with you first and gets your approval. Or you can always move back to Chicago if it bothers you so much to live in the Bay Area. Thanks for sharing.

Keep enjoying your life, dalparadise!

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-02-2014 at 02:27 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,176,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You missed his point entirely. The failure he was referring to is your negative and hostile attitude toward others who are simply enjoying their lives. Has nothing to do with money. That is the biggest failure we can have in life regardless of our bank book. Goodwill is infectious. Please learn it and be happy for someone like that who is just sharing their enjoyment of the region. It costs you nothing. I am shocked at how much you read into his post that was not there. LOL! I imagine everyone else is, too. There was no hubris or classism, just your imagination.

I am not surprised at your reaction, though. Outside of your native Chicago and Oakland/San Leandro, you have expressed negativity for those in other cities. We have posted in many of the same threads. You even have about six or seven posts on record attacking the people in Minneapolis as snobby. Not a specific age group or neighborhood, but just a blanket smear. Says more about the person attacking than anything else. LOL! Those are friendly people that deal with chilly winters. Grew up there, so I know.

Truly hope you learn to focus more on enjoying the area and less on attacking others who are just sharing their good experiences. He only replied more forcefully when you would not let up and gave him no choice. His first two replies were very classy, but you seldom "play nice" and could not let it go. Everything has to be a drama with you. You do not believe in "live and let live". Your way or the highway. Have a feeling he will keep doing the things he enjoys despite your disapproval.

Cute. I have been in northern California since 1972 and that is probably longer than you, too. Nonetheless, we will strongly recommend that every resident that did not arrive before you checks in with you first and gets your approval. Or you can always move back to Chicago if it bothers you so much to live in the Bay Area. Thanks for sharing.

Keep enjoying your life, dalparadise!
Yea I looked into what they wrote because, well, it makes sense to.

I'm from chicaga and I tells it like it is and I calls em like I see em.

I mean go back and read the stuff.

'Local bacon'???

Interesting, I didn't know pigs were raised in sf.LoL!!!!!!!
Where are these 'local' pig farms????

Expensive affordable housing? His words, not mine. You can't make this stuff up!

Now excuse me as I gaze into the night scape fron distant san leandro. I mean we are like right next to vegas! So distant! A whole 30 minute bart ride to the city? It is like iowa, madness, i say! LoL!!!!!!!!

And thank you to the silent majority for the rep points and kind words. Glad some of you comprehend this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland