Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 AM

13 posts, read 79,512 times

Advertisements

Specifically in the bay area, I live in the east bay - Danville (not too brag but ...one of the nicest areas in the nation). And yeah...280 and 101 run on the west side...880, 680 and sort of 580 run on the east side....Sounds like ur in a crappy situation...how old are you? Anyway, like I stated before...Id live in the bay area over LA...and if ur stressed...looking at the water on a daily basis or even the air will probably help you out. Sounds like you need something new...as far as being alone...yeah if you did move up here you are probably gonna be alone at first but things will come around (once you get a job, gym, etc..). I would just do your schooling up here...it really sounds like you need a change and need to get away from your mom and whatever else thats bugging you .

Bottom line: start a new life somewhere...make some changes...get yourself in control and organized...and out of all places, I'd say the bay area is a great place to begin!

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 PM

605 posts, read 872,975 times
37 years old. Good point - water helps me out emotionally, spiritually, and physically - gets me grounded, Cancer sign.
Right...the job and the gym sure, no problem - I am just trying to finish school so I am more marketable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danking27 View Post
Bottom line: start a new life somewhere...make some changes...get yourself in control and organized...and out of all places, I'd say the bay area is a great place to begin!
Good luck
Could you elaborate on this, please?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM

30,954 posts, read 37,174,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Please, this may seem silly, but I lived in the SF Bay area for a year, then in Sonoma County for three weeks, I now am back in So Cal, and am so sad, I want to go back to the Bay area, this may seem naive--have no idea where to start.
To get a place down here vs. moving, etc.
What to do?

Any suggestions and/or opinions would be helpful
Just from reading your posts, it sounds like you have a lot of other personal issues to work out besides just where you live. It kinda sounds like you're a little (or maybe a lot) aimless and possibly emotionally unstable. It sounds like you need to focus on the practical things like getting through school and becoming employable.

And I know you didn't ask abou this...but 90K student loan debt for undergrad???? That sounds like really big trouble and seems to point back to the aimlessness/instability issues.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Just from reading your posts, it sounds like you have a lot of other personal issues to work out besides just where you live. It kinda sounds like you're a little (or maybe a lot) aimless and possibly emotionally unstable. It sounds like you need to focus on the practical things like getting through school and becoming employable.
And I know you didn't ask abou this...but 90K student loan debt for undergrad???? That sounds like really big trouble and seems to point back to the aimlessness/instability issues.
I know, the 90K in student loans is really high. I actually had to use half of that to bury my grandmother at her funeral.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,186,190 times
$45K for a funeral? Did you by any chance mean $4.5K?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM

36,723 posts, read 67,855,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
$45K for a funeral? Did you by any chance mean $4.5K?
45K is an exorbitant amount for a funeral. Even with plot cost, casket and flowers, I dont think it would cost even half that. Maybe the floral arrangements cost a lot.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Yes - pretty much half of that.

Her medical bills that her insurance would not cover before her death - I covered. No one in my family had the money, I paid for it. Between the bills, her plot location, plot cost, casket, and flowers, and then some - yes, it took most of the money I was to use for my schooling. And on top of that, I had a co - pay on my last surgery to remove the cancer.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,186,190 times
Ok, medical bills are a different story. $45K for just a funeral didn't make sens but medical bills can quickly skyrocket, especially without insurance.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,102,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
alllrrrrrrightttyy then-back to a positive attitude here.
I talked to a REALLY nice person today who has a room for rent in Petaluma She said she had to admit, she was selective, because a few had introductions that, to her, sounded flaky I guess. We really had a nice convo, I said I don't blame her, she sounded like she wanted me to come see it today--and not in a "sales type of way, does that make sense?
She owns the house, her granddaughter is going to college, I will be too--she said it was rather peaceful, which is what I'm looking for, not a party house or soriority-type style living. I also called a lady in Mill Valley, but her open house is this weekend, day late dollar short for me, unfortunately.
My question to the forum is, what is more wise here, do I go drive up, meet with the lady, see the house, area and room, and by a miracle it works, and I send for my stuff down here? And for future possible housing, would it be better to drive up and look until I find something, stay on a roll, keep persisting, even if I have to fork out the dough to stay in a hotel a few nights?
I can't really hop in my car and go see a place for an hour or two when I'm down here.
How do people who are relocating do this?
I would decide where you're going to go to school, before I decided where to live. Otherwise, you may find yourself needing to move just a semester later.

The traffic from Mill Valley is horrendous in both directions if you're planning on attending Sonoma State. Petaluma would be much closer.

Thirdly, secure a place to live.

Once you nail down those decisions, either call a moving van lines for estimates, or U-haul. It's best coming from So. Cal to take I5, then cut over to 101 to head towards Sonoma County.

Just so you know, Sonoma County is considered the north bay.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I would decide where you're going to go to school, before I decided where to live. Otherwise, you may find yourself needing to move just a semester later. The traffic from Mill Valley is horrendous in both directions if you're planning on attending Sonoma State. Petaluma would be much closer.
Thirdly, secure a place to live.
Once you nail down those decisions, either call a moving van lines for estimates, or U-haul. It's best coming from So. Cal to take I5, then cut over to 101 to head towards Sonoma County.
Just so you know, Sonoma County is considered the north bay.
Good luck to you.
Thanks! I know Sonoma County is the North Bay, the north bay is the only area Ive lived in. Ive done all the research your suggestions talk about. Mill Valley seems to be smack dab in the middle of SF and Santa Rosa. Someone else had suggested that route if I drive, I5 then cut over towards Napa, into Petaluma/Santa Rosa. Im looking at Santa Rosa as well. Im almost done with school, so I would stay put until I graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland